#1 Dan Turner

Dan Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationConyers, Georgia

Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:17 PM

My trust ol Lenovo D20 (circa 2009...model style since 2001) is having to retire.  The unknown dump/crash trigger is an anomaly that only a few others have found in their Workstation and Lenovo has little or no suggestions as to the conflict...if there is a conflict with any of the components.  Great machine with it's limits at Window 7 for an OS.  Opting for a new build with all the new and outstanding cool stuff with a case load less than the D20's 40 pounds.

Coming on with Windows 10 and bring everything into place via migration...it should be a relatively easy transfer over and given the GHz rating on the I-7 CPU; memory, component memory sticks and SSD working drives...should yield a bit quicker results in any program.  

I've had mixed results with SoftTalk since it's purchase.  With each update...things worked better and after three or four sessions in the headsets, the program began to lose track of it's ability to recognize words.  SP hasn't had any clear picture of what the problems could be...unless I've missed the posting about it in a version update schedule.  I'm hoping it's simply the last hurrah of battling operating systems by getting in line with everyone else while waiting to the end life of Win 7.

For those with SoftTalk and Windows 10....was there any correction to the issues that confounded the use of the SoftPlan module?  For the times that I've incorporated SoftTalk into a whole draw new project...it worked wonders for exceptionally fast production while not zooming across the screen(s) to a menu to a sub-menu with another sub-menu; or rather than think through and act on your next mouse command...just say it and do it.  The program will be well worth the investment when it's 100%...I'm hoping this will do the trick.  Otherwise...SP needs to put some time into at least coming up with a list of problems that are found and the course of action necessary to fix it if it's a conflict with the SAP1 driver; voice recognition program in Windows...or whatever would make the investment pay off.

It's long over due.

any thoughts along the line of SoftTalk working full time in SP2020+ with Win 10?

Thanks!!

Dan Turner

Conyers, Georgia

• David Zawadzki likes this

Dan Turner, CPBD

#2 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBirnie, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:02 AM

Hi Dan,

I would suggest you check out http://www.knowbrainer.com/.

I gave up with using SoftTalk with Windows 10 and SP2020 in faver of Knowbrainer. I have given SoftTalk a serious chance numerous times over the years and for me it will work super for a short while and then quit. I am not sure if the fault is perhaps with Microsoft, just as much as SoftPlan. I have been using Knowbrainer now for approximately 1 year and find it solid and dependable. I do find that it sems to work best if I restart my computer every morning, or at the least close Knowbrainer down overnight. Any keyboard shortcut or Alt command can be setup as a voice command in any software program, so with SoftPlan you can set up a few hundred commands. I started with a good table mike, but it picked up too much of the background noise, so I went to a high quality 
Sennheiser headset and not only is it even more accurate, it blocks out much of the background noise. I find it increases my speed quite a bit as I talk my way thru the drawing.

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#3 Dan Turner

Dan Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 02:26 PM

Thanks Verlin...

I was hoping by going to 10 there would be less of a issue between the elderly workstation and SoftTalk.

It really is a great time reducer...but having had it flame out in mid session so many times, I could blame MS...but I'll have to point to SP because it was a relatively good investment for a product that seems to be failing everyone.  The response back in the past has been...lacking.

It's time to put SoftTalk on the priority list of things to bug-hunt and problem solve.  

Ideally...starting a project with SoftTalk in use to completion should be a goal...rather than a few happy hours only to get squeezed out by whatever problem this is.  Since I'm not the only one that's complained or made known the fails with SoftTalk...what IS the hold up on getting it squared away?

Happy belated Thanksgiving Verlin!!

Dan Turner, CPBD

#4 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBirnie, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:39 AM

Thank you Dan, Happy Thanksgiving to you also. We in Canada here celebrated Thanksgiving in October already, but I am half American also.

• Dan Turner likes this

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#5 Dan Turner

Dan Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 03:50 PM

I posted a topic under SoftTalk in Product Suggestion that has yielded a phone call from SoftPlan this morning.

I think they're willing to work things through...however, it's up to as many unhappy SoftTalk users to take out a Tech Support ticket and explain the conditions and symptoms so they can start comparing notes with other users.

I had the opportunity for a refund but chose to hold off on the refund by making a Tech Support Ticket and giving SP the opportunity to do what they do.

Pass it along to your SoftTalk pals so they can join in and help SP by taking the matter through as a Tech Ticket that if not resolved could lead to a refund.  At least that being the agreement that I had with SP for my own SoftTalk failure.

Outside of that....Merry Christmas.

Dan Turner, CPBD

#6 Dan Turner

Dan Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 03:58 PM

I did work with Support this last week to provide a few "timelines" of SoftTalk on my new workstation and how the items in complaint with the last workstation (now retired) were pretty much the same.

SoftTalk fails within the first hour of use.

I'm not sure if I can blame Microsoft for anything as has been hinted....Speech Recognition works and then stops working in SoftTalk.  Having said that, after saving the project to exit...Speech Recognition moves me over to Desktop as the default in full use for the programs aboard.

The disconnect that seems to be with SoftTalk is that it fails in stages (such as voice response to commands); but can be brought back...without voice response after closing the program and starting the project again.  However within 10 to 15 minutes SoftTalk has quit taking any commands.  Once SoftPlan/Talk is exited...the Speech Recognition bar that denotes the commands as well as lets you know if the module is on/off/sleep...has moved on into Desktop.  

A re-boot is probably the answer...but it would be the wrong answer.  

If I owned a 3rd party input device....say the 3D Connexion...I'm good to go as it's part of the package now.

Not so much the SoftTalk input device that cost nearly the same but rarely works long enough to fulfill the potential to actually save drawing time.  I know for a fact that SoftTalk can produce remarkable savings in time and more than that, it's beneficial in making the draw mode as part of the train of thought while calling out commands that otherwise require a hot-key or sliding the cursor to a selection or menu item.  The mouse with SoftTalk is a MONSTER while working.  I hope that support can put it towards the top of the pile of to-do's for 2020 not only for me....but anyone else that's invested for the use of the additional module.  

I'll await contact on the matter and report back same.

Dan Turner, CPBD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users