Photo

Text Fuzzy, all lines Grey with windows 10 (ASUS)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 03:34 PM

I have two new Viotek 25" LED monitors. They aren't great but they worked fine with my old laptop.

Now I"m running a new ASUS ZenBook with Windows 10. When I pull up softplan, everything in my drawing window is grey.

Now, I have my background set to light grey, and all my lines, symbols, walls, etc.... set to black. However, they always

display as grey. No matter which monitor I use, the laptop screen, or the Viotek external monitor. 

I've got everything set to black from the drawing options down to system options and nothing is working. I've tried adjusting

the settings on the laptop itself w/ no help either. I tried a samsung monitor and it was a little better but, still grey.

So it must be a windows 10 or ASUS and softplan problem. PS I hate windows 10. 

I've attached some screen shots.... That's w/ everything set to black...

Attached Thumbnails

• SP Screen shot.jpg
  • SP Screen shot 2.jpg

#2 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 06 December 2019 - 03:58 PM

That sucks! What kind of spec's does the zenbook have? Not a fan of windows 10 either!

#3 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 07 December 2019 - 12:54 PM

If you did not operate these monitors under Windows 10 previous, I suspect it the display or video driver for these particular monitors.  You can try to see if Windows can find the driver or go to the manufacturer's site and see if the driver for Windows 10 is there. 

#4 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:12 AM

Well it does the same thing on the laptop monitor. All the lines are grey. 

I am running a hopped up graphics card b/c we're looking into starting to use lumion to create our own renderings for marketing purposes. 

It's a GeForce RTX 2060

#5 Steven Wohlgemuth

Steven Wohlgemuth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick Canada

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:05 AM

Not sure this is the problem. Have you tried the font installer? http://www.softplan....ntInstaller.exe
  • Jon Davis likes this

#6 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:09 PM

Jon,

Have you contacted tech support?

Have you checked for an updated driver for the video?

• Jon Davis likes this

#7 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:35 AM

Jon,

Have you contacted tech support?

Have you checked for an updated driver for the video?

Yes and Yes unfortunately with no help.

#8 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:29 PM

Support made some suggestions for you to pursue with your IT department. From what I understand this only appears on your new system and not on your old one which tends to lead to a hardware or driver issue.

When your project is loaded on our systems the lines appear black with proper contrast and clarity.

The project attached to your ticket is different from the one in the screen captures and has red text on it. Do the colors appear correctly?

What happens on a white background?

There is definitely more contrast where the items are more condensed or thicker which leads to the possibility that it could be a resolution issue.

Was there any difference when you tried decreasing the resolution?

Attached Thumbnails

• Black on Grey.JPG

• John Jones and Paula Ponath like this

#9 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:38 PM

No difference at all. IT guy came by today and couldn't find anything wrong w/ the settings on the laptop. I've gone as far now as uninstalling softplan, and reinstalling it. 

Every other software/program looks normal. It's only softplan that is not displaying correctly. Which leads me to believe it's not a hardware problem. I don't know why it looks great on your PC. I wish I knew. I saved my system options before uninstalling. After reinstalling, I tried to load a few of the settings I had saved, guess what, nothing happened. 

Won't load any of the settings. 

#10 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:48 PM

Yeah, I would load SP again and use default settings.  You know you can load SP again under a different name.  I use SoftPlan 2020 but you could use another name.  If you have a previous project from 2018, copy it over in the project file, then open it in the latest SP load.  Don't go through the backup and restore. See if everything is ok.  Then you can work back from there.  You need some kind of baseline.  If you still have the problem it is a Windows 10 problem I bet.  All guesses though.

• Jon Davis likes this

#11 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:13 PM

Yeah... That's what I did. Still having problems. I loaded it from scratch without any of my custom settings... Still doing the same thing. All my text and dimensions are perfect. Nice and dark. It's just lines/walls/symbols that are showing all faded. I've tried adjusting in softplan, I've tried adjusting resolution and color settings on the laptop, nothing works. All other software seems to be running fine. 

I can turn on "display print pen" settings but, I dont like to, b/c then all my lines are fat and I hate drawing that way. Hated it in autocad too. I guess I'm just going to have to learn to live with faded out lines in my drawings. I don't know what else to do. Especially since SP can't recreate the problem. However, I'm wondering if they are opening the file I send, on something that doesn't have windows 10..... And that's why it looks fine on their screen.

#12 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:50 PM

Jon-
Just for giggles, go to drawing options and select “custom drawing options” save and close.

Email me the file to:
jason@jlbdesignsllc.com

I have Windows 10 and had some resolutions issues.

Do you have a 4K screen?

#13 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:18 AM

I owe all of you an apology, especially SP.   I finally went through the 50,000 resolutions settings on this new laptop and matched it to my old. (Had to go get it and fire it up again to see what it was set to). 

And now, everything appears to be showing back up like it should. SO, it WAS just a resolution problem on this new PC... I was pretty sure, that it wasn't. But I was wrong.

Thanks everyone for all the help, it is appreciated. 

• John Jones, Gary McKeon, Steve and Carla Farnam and 2 others like this

#14 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 12 December 2019 - 08:28 AM

Glad you found the issue.  These things are hard some time to sort out.

• Jon Davis likes this

#15 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 08:56 AM

Thanks for the update Jon ... and glad you got it resolved.

So many times people report problems or issues and then we never hear back from them !

• John Jones, Steve and Carla Farnam, Paula Ponath and 1 other like this

#16 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:58 AM

Glad to hear that you found a resolution Jon. If there was a particular setting that you think caused the issue please let us know in case it happens again in the future.

• Jon Davis likes this

#17 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:04 AM

Glad to hear that you found a resolution Jon. If there was a particular setting that you think caused the issue please let us know in case it happens again in the future.

The resolution was set REALLY REALLY high 3840x2160, but then also set to zoom to  %250. So everything looked normal on the laptop monitor. I backed it down to match my old laptop 1920x1080 @ %125 and it solved the problem. My laptop screen isn't quite as crisp anymore but, I can deal with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users