#1 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 19 December 2019 - 09:50 AM

I have a kitchen with a peninsula.  I have a fluch 15" overhang as my bar that is on the same plane as the counter top.  I am having issues with the code as to my electrical outlet placement.  Has anyone else come across this situation, and if so where you able to remedy it?  All I know we can do is to make it a raised overhang so that I have the back splash to put the outlets in.  Screenshot (12).png

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#2 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 19 December 2019 - 10:30 AM

Have always just had an outlet installed in the cabinetry either at the end or, since electrical is already there for a garbage disposal and/ or dishwasher, on the backside of that cabinet. There is  also a new "pop-up" outlet for desktops and/ or countertops that have a kind of gasketed top. Go to Mockett.com for that.

• Trey Strock likes this

#3 Ron Sirolli

Ron Sirolli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:51 AM

I ALWAYS DID IT LIKE GARY I NEVER HAD ANY COMPLAINT WITH THE INSPECTORS 

#4 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 07:30 AM

We use the same electrician is almost all of our houses so, he just knows to put them in there... I get off easy on electrical plans. I just show what kind of light fixtures

go in what rooms and that's it. Unless we have a customer that wants something specific like extra outlets or TV/Outlets in certain spots. 

#5 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 20 December 2019 - 08:31 AM

With the codes and my situation it is not working any more.  I can get one on the side of the cabinet but with the length at 2'-8" I am short 8" versus the code of the 2' rule.  The other side being worse.  Can not put it on the back side of the cabinet because this is not an island with a 1" overhang on the back (if it was then it would be fine) but with a 15" overhang (thus nullifying the use of them).  Besides the more expensive pop up outlet, I am limiting myself to having to raise the bar top in order to achieve it.  

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#6 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:34 AM

Tom,

I believe the 24" rule applies to "wall countertop space" and not the peninsula you show in your drawing.  Since you have more than 12" behind your sink, I believe your peninsula countertop should be considered one space and would satisfy code with one receptacle in the end cabinet.  I would run it by your Code Enforcement Officer though.

2015 IRC

E3901.4.2 Island Countertop Spaces 

At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed at each island countertop space with a long dimension of 24 inches (610 mm) or greater and a short dimension of 12 inches (305 mm) or greater. [210.52©(2)]

E3901.4.3 Peninsular Countertop Space

At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed at each peninsular countertop space with a long dimension of 24 inches (610 mm) or greater and a short dimension of 12 inches (305 mm) or greater. A peninsular countertop is measured from the connecting edge. [210.52©(3)

E3901.4.4 Separate Spaces

Countertop spaces separated by range tops, refrigerators, or sinks shall be considered as separate countertop spaces in applying the requirements of Sections E3901.4.1, E3901.4.2 and E3901.4.3. Where a range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink is installed in an island or peninsular countertop and the depth of the countertop behind the range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink is less than 12 inches (305 mm), the range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink has divided the countertop space into two separate countertop spaces as defined in Section E3901.4.4. Each separate countertop space shall comply with the applicable requirements of this section. [210.52©(4)]

• Gary McKeon likes this

#7 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:21 PM

Tom-

We have been adding a 34" knee-wall up to the "bottom side" of the countertop and just adding an additional 4" to the flush countertop depth to make up the overhang difference. Then just run the outlets along the wall as usual at standard heights. Right, wrong, or indifferent, this has been working in this part of Georgia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users