#1 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 21 December 2019 - 10:58 AM

When I print to pdf using any of the ways available to me, if I forget to pick a location for the print to be placed, SP uses the last print to location.  This seems to me to be incorrect.  I would expect that the correct location for the print to go to would be the current open file if I don't specify a location.

Is there a place to set a default location?  I would much prefer the default location to be my desktop since that's where I want my pdf to go to 99.9999% of the time.

I believe this is the way it worked in 2018 also.

#2 Dennis Asher

Dennis Asher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWillow Springs, Missouri

Posted 22 December 2019 - 12:58 PM

I think if you "print" to pdf the Adobe software is picking the location.  If I right click on the plan set and pick "convert to pdf" it automatically goes to the softplan folder.

#3 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 04:37 PM

Print to PDF always created issues and “bugs” in the PDF. The PDF looked correct, but it was printing “black” lines in random locations on the paper plans. Again, the PDF looked correct, but actual printing was a nightmare costing me time and money redoing plans.

The best way is to use plan sets. Then right click and “ export to PDF”. This automatically chooses your drawing location folder and it solved all my printing issues.

#4 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 23 December 2019 - 07:52 AM

I think if you "print" to pdf the Adobe software is picking the location.  If I right click on the plan set and pick "convert to pdf" it automatically goes to the softplan folder.

The dialog box comes up while still in softplan, so I really think softplan is picking the location.  Print to pdf in other softwares works like it should.

#5 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 23 December 2019 - 09:27 AM

Dennis,

Are you printing PDF's by "Export to PDF" in Plansets? Also why would you want to print your PDF's to your desktop instead of in your project folder?

#6 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 23 December 2019 - 10:14 AM

Dennis,

Are you printing PDF's by "Export to PDF" in Plansets? Also why would you want to print your PDF's to your desktop instead of in your project folder?

You didn't read my first post or I didn't make it clear.  I WANT them to go to the project folder but they don't automatically.  If I forget to pick a location they go the the last project folder I printed from or had open, NOT the current folder.

I am printing from the drawing.  I often print from the drawing without setting up a plan set to print from.  I just need a detail print to send to the customer or to look at on paper.

I always print to my desktop if I'm sending a drawing out in and email.

#7 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 03:31 PM

You didn't read my first post or I didn't make it clear.  I WANT them to go to the project folder but they don't automatically.  If I forget to pick a location they go the the last project folder I printed from or had open, NOT the current folder.

I am printing from the drawing.  I often print from the drawing without setting up a plan set to print from.  I just need a detail print to send to the customer or to look at on paper.

I always print to my desktop if I'm sending a drawing out in and email.

Dennis

As per Frank and my earlier comment, The only way to make it default to the Project Folder, is to use plan sets and "export to PDF".  IF you do this, it defaults to the project folder and it remedies any corruptions that may be created by using your method.

I used to do it your way and it took me a long , hard, and costly road to finally do this, but it has been well worth it. Plans Sets is the one of the best features in Softplan.

#8 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 24 December 2019 - 06:06 AM

Well, I like using the print function in the drawing mode.  I don't want to set up a plan set for every print I make.  It's a tool that is there to use, even if it is a little broken.  I'll just have to be more careful when I use it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users