11 replies to this topic

#1 Jake Lulan

Jake Lulan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 05:32 PM

Hey guys and gals,

I have had a good look through the forum but can't find an answer as yet. Basically I have a job I'm drawing up (one of my first paid gigs actually) and it has a heap of curved walls in the retaining walls. My issue isn't with the curved wall the forums really helped me there but I'm getting these weird spikes on the 3d rendering which are not going away. I have to keep playing and tweaking the walls to get a picture rendered for the plan pages. I'm sure It'll be something super simple but for the life of me I haven't figured it out. I've attached a Jpg of the issue i'm talking about. If anyone can guide me in the right direction that would be awesome.

Regards

Jake

Attached Files

#2 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:51 AM

Jake,

I find SP does not like complicated roofs. It often will do what you are seeing. Sometimes hitting regenerate or just adjusting the lollipops helps. Sometimes simplifying edges and then using the hole tool to cut out the extra overhangs works. Sometimes moving the roof to it's own drawing and using multi-level roof tools works. Sometimes more than 1 roof is needed. It is very frustrating. Be sure to check that all wall plate heights are where they should be and that some walls didn't jump up or rake when they shouldn't have. SP likes to think ahead and "fix" things that don't always need fixing. Walls or floor systems will sometimes clean up even when clean up is unchecked.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#3 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:07 PM

Probably not in your case but to be sure, check to make sure your walls are on the angle you intended.  For example, 90, 180, 270, 360, or variation of 45, etc.  Weird angles 179.86 may not be noticed but will create problems with roofs.

• Jake Lulan likes this

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:35 PM

I understood from the question that these are retaining walls ... They probably don't have a roof ...!

I'm not sure why they appear to be in two levels though ...

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 07 January 2020 - 01:12 PM

Keith,

Way to point out something I should have read more carefully. It appears you are correct. Again, checking offsets and odd angles (as Kevin suggested) might be worth while, but that is odd. I recently had a turret I needed to replicate and SP did not like the curved wall sections, especially where they met up with neighboring walls. Maybe the angles and curves are just too much for it to handle.

• Jake Lulan likes this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#6 Heath Foster

Heath Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 02:32 PM

Is the wall a sigle height or is it a multi height wall? I have seen this on some multi height walls. In those cases you can edit the height of the spike by editing the heights in the multi height wall.

#7 Jake Lulan

Jake Lulan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:03 PM

Hey guys.

It's a teired retaining wall with curves and multi heights joining. Maybe I am just pushing the software to the limits on my pc. I have been tweaking the design after each move to whole numbers that seems to fix it but is quite fiddly and time consuming.

I'm also thinking that I am due for a computer upgrade seeing it's a laptop that I'm drawing on perhaps that may cause rendering issues. It is a gaming one but 3 years is a long time for a laptop.

I did actually have the wall issue you were saying too and ended up redrawing the original home because of it. So thanks for the heads up there. I'll know to take off snap occasionally it's a hindrance

#8 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:09 PM

Check your site points.  It may be you have some rogue point that the wall is trying to go to.  Or you need to add a point to bring it down.  I have this sometimes with the site around a foundation and it may be similar

• Jake Lulan likes this

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#9 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 07 January 2020 - 05:33 PM

Also try breaking up the roof into individual roofs.  A curved wall or round wall should probably have its own roof.

• Jake Lulan likes this

#10 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:18 PM

Does it need to be a wall?

Can you define a curb in site mode and put shot points along its length to define the top?

• Jake Lulan likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#11 Jake Lulan

Jake Lulan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:26 PM

So many ways to draw!! I just followed through a tutorial to build the wall onto the site plan for the retaining wall. I've had to put in a crap load of Site points To get the site to work in 3d is this likely to be part of the issue you think tom? I tried even just the wall in its own plan and it seems to create dramas! 

Attached Files

#12 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:38 AM

Yes,  it is hard to tell but when I zoom in there looks like there is one shot point that is just off the wall.  That may be it.  Shot points are tough for me.  It seams that you never know if you need more or less of them to make it all work out.  

• Jake Lulan likes this

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users