• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Murray Loewen

Murray Loewen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:57 PM

I'd like to hear some tips from others how they determine whether a window will meet minimum egress requirements. Window measurements in SoftPlan are typically frame size, not clear open area. Different manufacturers' windows of the same frame size will have differing clear open dimensions, depending on thickness of frame, style of opening hardware, etc. Do some manufacturers provide calculators for their various models, and the frame size just needs entering to determine if it meets egress? Or are there other simple methods?

Darcy

#2 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:13 PM

Here is the Canadian code http://www.jeld-wen....egress-openings

Typically the smallest window I would use is 32x32 nominal casement, a 30x56 or 36x48 nominal single hung and a 24x60 nominal horizontal slider. Awning windows typically do not meet egress.

• Steven Wohlgemuth likes this

Five out of four people are not very good with fractions

www.cresco.ca

#3 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:16 PM

To tag on with Martin

https://www.jeld-wen...ress-calculator

#4 Murray Loewen

Murray Loewen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for sharing that link; that gives me the type of info I need, at least for Jeld-Wen windows. It'll serve as a guideline for other brands, too, if I can't find other brand-specific calculators. I wasn't able to locate a Canadian version of that calculator, but this one gives me enough info I can compare it to NBCC requirements.

#5 Brent Putney

Brent Putney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:47 PM

If you work with a local lumberyard at all just give them a call. Most salesmen know off the top of their heads for brands they sell.

#6 Ron Sirolli

Ron Sirolli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 03:04 PM

i have a Andersen catalog that tell you there egress units

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 January 2020 - 04:14 PM

Martin Windows used to have a specific catalogue that listed all their windows that complied with egress requirements (at least for Ontario). I still use it as a rough and ready guide. However, I normally have a window that's well in excess of any required minimum.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#8 Ben Ginther

Ben Ginther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 23 January 2020 - 04:37 PM

Here is the Canadian code http://www.jeld-wen....egress-openings

Typically the smallest window I would use is 32x32 nominal casement, a 30x56 or 36x48 nominal single hung and a 24x60 nominal horizontal slider. Awning windows typically do not meet egress.

Which manufacturer has a 60x24 slider that is code compliant?

#9 Ron Sirolli

Ron Sirolli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 06:46 AM

Not Sure but a egress window is 5.7 sf the minimun open is 24"height and 20" wide that in New jersey

#10 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 04:17 PM

Casements are easy (operable casements obviously) because even smaller ones will meet egress. If the need for a small window arises, casements are

a good way to go. Otherwise, a 3050 or 2860 are your best bets for meeting egress here in the US. Unless your state as tighter restrictions. 

#11 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 January 2020 - 04:37 PM

If you work with a local lumberyard at all just give them a call. Most salesmen know off the top of their heads for brands they sell.

I somehow doubt that, most of the salesmen at lumberyards couldn't tell you off the top of their heads what the egress requirements are, never mind which of their various window brands slider, casement, single hung or double hung windows complied with those requirements.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#12 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:13 PM

I agree with Jon, I think most manufacturers meet egress with 3050 or 2860 as minimum sizes.

#13 Thomas Parker

Thomas Parker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 19 March 2020 - 08:55 AM

Just one additional 'and late' comment here, I usually mark each egress window with an 'asterisk' and then have this comment stated on plans;

"NOTE; WINDOW SIZES SHOWN ARE APPROXIMATE

CONSULT WINDOW SUPPLIER FOR ALL R.I. SIZES

AND ANY TEMPERED GLASS LOCATIONS

asterisk = MUST COMPLY WITH EGRESS CODE"

As we know what is specified in window sizes, wood vs. vinyl, and Brand doesn't always end up being used on the final project. I believe this transfers the responsibility to the builder and window supplier to comply with codes. AND it just makes me feel better!!!!

For what it's worth, thanks,

TOM

• Keith Almond and Stephan Page like this

Tom Parker

TJP Designs and Const. LLC

v10 - v2020

#14 Brian Berzinskis

Brian Berzinskis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 April 2020 - 11:11 AM

When I was using Softplans opening schedules there was a column where we could check off egress in the opening properties. I always wished that we could convert in Softplan from the generic opening sizes to the product codes of the different window manufacturer's that are part of Softplan+ once the clients have selected their product of choice.

The problem we see is that even though our market is dominated by Andersen 400 Series, our clients don't seem to take the time to select the brand or product line by the time we are printing drawing. So we ended up drawing a detail for egress windows that shows the sizes that are required and lists the locations in which they must be.

That way if someone even switches from Andersen 400 Series 3046 then it is the lumber yard who is supplying the windows that converts it to Andersen 200 Series 3049 for them.

#15 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 06 April 2020 - 12:21 PM

My opinion, but I feel that if the builder and the client do not have the particular windows manufacturer and style worked out by the time the plans are finalized, then it is the builder who is responsible that whoever is doing the window package gets the egress windows that comply.  If the lumberyard that he chooses to use can't handle it, then the builder has to assume the responsibility.  I will specify what windows require egress and which ones required to be tempered.

• Rick Kingsbury, Mike Adams, Dennis Hilborn and 1 other like this

#16 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:20 PM

Another late entry, I do as Kevin does.  Although having sold them at a point in time, I ask the customer whether they want good, better or best and go from there.  I put the manufacturer in the plan general notes and the egress, tempered, header sizes next to the opening.   Don't use a schedule...didn't like when I was building going back and forth from the A drawing to the schedule, so I don't do it now.  Grills are shown on the elevations.

• Dennis Hilborn likes this

#17 Guest_Derrik Bauer_*

Guest_Derrik Bauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2020 - 09:15 AM

I once ordered a full house of windows that was refused since the grid pattern didn't match the rendering exactly.  $10K OUCH....   It was such a small detail I never gave it any thought.  I think it was a difference of 4w vs 5w on the grid pattern.  Customer was furious.  Lesson learned.

#18 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 11 April 2020 - 05:26 PM

Another late entry, I do as Kevin does.  Although having sold them at a point in time, I ask the customer whether they want good, better or best and go from there.  I put the manufacturer in the plan general notes and the egress, tempered, header sizes next to the opening.   Don't use a schedule...didn't like when I was building going back and forth from the A drawing to the schedule, so I don't do it now.  Grills are shown on the elevations.

I don't like schedules and neither do the framers I know.  So I don't do them unless you make me.  I've had permits held up because I didi't have a "door and window sched".  I beilieve it's mentioned in the IRC.  It's on the list that building dept. clerks use to check in drawings and if it's on the list you gotta have it whether it's useful or not.  So I made up a generic on that I put on a standard detail sheet.  Never have I been asked to index it to the floor plan.

#19 Danial Anderson

Danial Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 April 2020 - 11:52 PM

I thought i might add a bit as i noticed 2 things missing in the discussion that might be of use to somebody. I referenced this from
the MICHIGAN 2015 and should be close to the IRC.
1) grade floor or below is 5.0 sq ft
2) sill height above floor 44"

R310.2.1 Minimum opening area. Emergency and
escape rescue openings shall have a net clear opening of
not less than 5.7 square feet (0.530 m2). The net clear
opening dimensions required by this section shall be
obtained by the normal operation of the emergency escape
and rescue opening from the inside. The net clear height
opening shall be not less than 24 inches (610 mm) and the
net clear width shall be not less than 20 inches (508 mm).
Exception: Grade floor or below grade openings shall
have a net clear opening of not less than 5 square feet
(0.465 m2).
R310.2.2 Window sill height. Where a window is provided
as the emergency escape and rescue opening, it shall
have a sill height of not more than 44 inches (1118 mm)
above the floor; where the sill height is below grade, it
shall be provided with a window well in accordance with
Section R310.2.3.
Dan Anderson-Builder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users