5 replies to this topic

#1 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 06:22 AM

Couple questions here on how to best approach drawing a floor framing plan.  

Can I keep the floor framing plan live on the floor system mode.  Right now if i print using that mode, the sub-floor and the concrete slab prints shaded and I don't care for the look.  

How does everyone go about drawing in beams when the beams are already there, but in the basement drawing.  I'm sure I can use lines etc.. to accomplish all of this but wandering what is the best way.

Is it easier to get most of your flooring labels etc... in place and then generate a drawing and then overlay it ontop of a basement plan and have it all be independent.  I lose the ability to keep it live, but I gain more control of the display.  

#2 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 06:25 AM

And why does the floor framing schedule round the 11 7/8" i-joist to 12"

#3 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:22 AM

I take it you are drawing your basement and floor plan as separate drawings and stacking them.  That you are using reference points so they stack correctly.  Best to keep the beam on one drawing and don't put some on basement and some in flooring mode.  Define all your beams to be used as separate definitions.  I typically to that by creating new beams under drawing options and if used frequently, put them in system options.  Without seeing exactly how you have things setup, it may be hard to determine a correction.

#4 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 10:02 AM

Yes, they are drawn stacked.  Generally I have shown the beams in the basement that hold up the first floor system.  I was hoping there was a way to use the first floor framing mode to draw a floor framing plan.  That way I could keep the schedule live, and id the beams... but since their on two seperate drawings I couldn't figure out how to do that.

#5 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 07 February 2020 - 11:25 AM

I would suggest you keep all beams on only one of the drawings and I would put them in floor framing and have them show up in the floor framing plan.  When in Floor Mode you can draw all your floor framing elements; ie beams, floor joists, sills, etc.  Once you have the layouts the way you need them, you can generate your drawing so that all the construction notes and details can be added.  Your framing "model" is always there for additional work or changes.

#6 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 11 February 2020 - 03:47 PM

I have my own system of doing things as many do who use SP. The great thing is there are several ways to arrive at a look that works for you and those you draw for.

I personally like the foundation to be totally separate from the other parts of the model. But, I want anything that is part of the foundation construction to show in that plan and model when on it's own in 2D or 3D. So, I do like to have beams in the foundation plan and showing on the lower level plan. I try to keep it stacked just the way it would be built, and when placing dropped beams in the foundation below the floor system they typically sit in beam pockets. SP will not show a beam pocket if the beam is not on the same plan with the wall it is to pocket into. I also like to see where beams are in the lower level so I can map out walls, soffits, etc. It is crazy to do so much duplication, so often I will choose to place the actual beams where it makes most sense (foundation if pocketed), then represent beams on other plan sheets with a line and the copied notes if needed.

I also use an overlay plan for any floor I want to show an overlay of (master drawing I copy and paste my current floor plans into as needed). It has all the lines and layers preset to show how I want it faded and stacks well under my framing or other plans how I want. Tom Roman is the guru of master plans and having things set up for easy flow. Maybe he will chime in. Otherwise search for his comments on the forum.

Again, many ways to accomplish what look you are going for. Just got to explore and decide what works best for you and your clients.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users