7 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Henderson

Jim Henderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:02 AM

Did you know that we have a 10 Chapter webinar on how to create Outdoor Living Space that starts with the simple layout of walls, openings, and a roof before moving onto how to layout a deck, railings, hardscapes and more? Whether you are just brushing up, or are starting out new with SoftPlan, there is something there for everyone

Link to YouTube :  https://www.youtube....BxvDlfgYR5tEZ1w

Attached Files

• Brent Hyndman likes this

#2 Stephan Page

Stephan Page

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:17 AM

Do you have anything like this, and as in-depth as this, for Basements?  Look to learn about daylight basements and such.

ps - I enjoy your videos and I can't imagine trying to learn the program without their help!

Thanks,

Stephan

• Brent Hyndman likes this

#3 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:10 PM

Do you have anything like this, and as in-depth as this, for Basements?  Look to learn about daylight basements and such.

ps - I enjoy your videos and I can't imagine trying to learn the program without their help!

Thanks,

Stephan

Stephan, not sure how long you have been a SP user but the forum is incredible.  Had i know about this when i started it would have saved me many calls into SP.  When you have time go through posts and just read.  There are some very advanced users here.  ....and definitely some that SP should pay.

#4 Stephan Page

Stephan Page

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:15 PM

I've been using the program since November of 2019.  Still very new.  I use this forum a lot; both to search for issues, and just to see what everyone else has to say.  I've looked for basement issues here, and was just hoping for something a little more in-depth is all.

Thank you for the advise!  I will keep searching and fine tuning my search language (I know that makes a difference as well).

#5 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:22 PM

Everyone does things a little differently. You'll find several ways work to accomplish what you want, but there may be better ways. The strength of the forum is learning new ways people do things that we may not have thought of on our own.

I personally like to get my foundation model all on it's own drawing. Then, I place the framed walls, interiors, etc of a walk-out basement on it's own drawing. Where foundation walls are still present at the uphill side, I copy the walls from the foundation and paste in place, but turn off clean up and 3D extraction so the actual foundation is all that shows in the model. It gets into some duplication, but best allows for the model to be broken into pieces.

I don't recall any particular forum thread or training online, but probably picked up the tips on how I do it from some of the gurus on the forum. Some of them used to put on seminars before SP started doing their own training videos.

• Stephan Page likes this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#6 Stephan Page

Stephan Page

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:28 PM

Yes Thanks Mark.  I'm doing my 1st project with a walkout basement.  What I find is that I'm not always sure what I'm reading or how to make something happen.  For instance, when you say that you make things their own drawing, I'm not sure I follow.  Would you select File, Save, Save As?  Does this make it it's own drawing?  When you modify the drawing, is it live with the rest of the project?

Thank you

#7 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:45 PM

Stephan,

Yes, in a matter of speaking, I make each level it's own drawing. I draw the foundation and it is saved as one drawing in the model stack. Then, the lower level is another drawing in the model stack, and so on. A lot of people draw it so everything above the slab level on the walkout level is drawn on that level, but I don't. Even if foundation walls step up and down around the lower level, all those concrete walls are still on the foundation drawing, not the lower level drawing. That way, if I want to show just the foundation (and when I place it in my plan set sheet) it has everything related to the foundation on that one drawing. Then, if modeled out on it's own, the lower level walls show everything on that level (as it would be framed to prepare for the main floor system and decks, porches, etc. above it). It does look a little odd modeled on it's own without the foundation walls, but everything for that level is on that drawing.

• Stephan Page likes this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#8 Stephan Page

Stephan Page

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:06 PM

Thank you Mark!