#1 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA.

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:50 PM

Anyone know why I have to insulate the exterior garage walls to get it to pass rescheck? My walls between the house and garage are insulated and bearing. I even added OSB to the garage side of the wall thinking that would make it rescheck pick it up as a exterior wall. The report that passes is the one with the exterior walls of the garage insulated.

Thanks

Rick

Attached Files

#2 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:56 PM

For me, I eliminate all walls that are not part of the "envelope" and work my Rescheck from that drawing.   I believe the "garage wall" defined walls will be picked up with Rescheck.  Also be sure you have filled in the Energy info on the walls under edit/selections.

#3 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:29 PM

For me, I eliminate all walls that are not part of the "envelope" and work my Rescheck from that drawing.   I believe the "garage wall" defined walls will be picked up with Rescheck.  Also be sure you have filled in the Energy info on the walls under edit/selections.

Kevin, that worked. Are you talking about filling in the R-value for the walls?

Thanks

Rick

#4 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:27 PM

Kevin, I just found out from Bill at Softplantuts that you can uncheck "include in Rescheck" the walls in Softplan that you do not want to show up in rescheck. I tried that and it worked.

Thanks

Rick

#5 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 28 May 2020 - 04:27 PM

I give up looking Richard, where is "include in Rescheck"?

Never mind. I found it under Softlist option.

The problem I have though is that I have to create a whole drawing sheet to provide all the energy information for Rescheck and Manual J where most of my plans are submitted for permit.  I have to show the building envelope also, room dimension and areas, ceiling areas, wall areas, etc.  Also there are times that an exterior wall may have a height of 10 feet but a celling height of 9 feet for example.  The wall would be modified in my separate drawing to 9 feet to capture the proper exterior wall area.  

The reason for all the detail is that many builders were cheating on the insulation package by falsifying the Rescheck.  When I run the Rescheck I specify all the energy parameters and then some builders would not pass, so they had others run the Rescheck and adjust their hard input information to get a passing Rescheck but it was a false report.  So the chief inspector put an end to that requiring a great deal of detail so the builders can be checked properly in the field.  Imagine that, builders that cheat.

#6 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 04:32 PM

Edit the wall and it’s either on the softlist or selection tab. Let me know if you still can’t find it and I’ll take a screenshot in the morning.

I just remembered it’s on the softlist tab

#7 Jack Carson

Jack Carson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationSouthaven, MS & Frederiksted, St. Croix USVI

Posted 29 May 2020 - 04:41 AM

I am just glad I don't have to deal with all that stuff.  Site Plan, Floor Plan and Wall Section are all that is needed for a permit in my part of the World.

#8 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 05:34 AM

I am just glad I don't have to deal with all that stuff.  Site Plan, Floor Plan and Wall Section are all that is needed for a permit in my part of the World.

Me too Jack, this is a first for me.

#9 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 29 May 2020 - 07:24 AM

How many of you that are running rescheck are doing the onsite inspection after the insulation is installed?

#10 Brian Berzinskis

Brian Berzinskis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:54 AM

I have never exported out of SoftPlan for REScheck but just manually put all the information in REScheck after.

Our townships ask for them with permits if you use something other than what the IRC specifies for insulation like R-49 in the ceiling.

The township then does in insulation inspection off the REScheck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users