#1 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:11 AM

I like how when you have a floor plan finished and all dimensioned up then you open up the plan a month later to make the final edits and 30% of the dimensions have disappeared.

So you put them all back and make a few final edits and on every wall that you edit the dimensions DISAPPEAR AGAIN.  So you put them all back in again.

One of the reasons I changed to this software was it was supposed to make editing SO EASY.  No one mentioned that I would have to be recreating so much that would just vanish into thin air.

#2 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:56 AM

I have had dimensions disappear on a rare occasion.  I encourage you use cleanup often and before you exit the project or exit the software.  I do not know if this is a particular solution to your problem but cleanup does seem to correct a lot of ills or strange things that happens from time to time.  So before exiting, I do a cleanup in the drawing I have been working in and do a save all before I exit.

• Stephan Page likes this

#3 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:32 PM

Also, if you are using dimension point instead of the main dimension tool it will tend to disappear once something that it is attached to has changed or cleaned up. Sometimes using dimension points is necessary, but use it sparingly.

• Jon Davis and Stephan Page like this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#4 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 01 June 2020 - 03:17 PM

I have had dimensions disappear on a rare occasion.  I encourage you use cleanup often and before you exit the project or exit the software.  I do not know if this is a particular solution to your problem but cleanup does seem to correct a lot of ills or strange things that happens from time to time.  So before exiting, I do a cleanup in the drawing I have been working in and do a save all before I exit.

That's a good suggestion, I'll try that and see.

#5 Brian Berzinskis

Brian Berzinskis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 June 2020 - 12:00 PM

I have not seen issues with dimensions disappearing on my end. I typically use Auto Dimension for all my exterior ones. So that would be easy to redo if they did go away. And then I just use normal Dimension to make strings on the interiors mixed in with some extensions lines but have not seen those go missing either. I don't really use Dimension Point that much except for my plot plans.

#6 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 08 June 2020 - 12:42 PM

Brian,

How often do your auto dimensions miss extensions/dimensions on angled or recessed walls? I find it missed quite a few and then also will occasionally run an extension from the opposite end of a wall for some reason. So, I don't use that feature often.

Mark Petri

#7 Brian Berzinskis

Brian Berzinskis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:13 AM

I definitely find that it misses sometimes on the angled features. Not so much on the recessed walls.

What is weird is sometimes if I actually do a clean up and then close the drawing file and open it again it will sometimes do a better job with the angled walls. I also find that Auto Dimension Side versus full Auto Dimension works better with the angled walls as well.

Curved walls though you can sometimes forget about it all together. Haha.

But I would say that I try and keep my of my designs to a 90 degree angle and seldom use a different angle unless the site design specifically calls for it. I always find interior angular spaces to be funny to lay out and are something I tend to avoid for that reason.

Brian,

How often do your auto dimensions miss extensions/dimensions on angled or recessed walls? I find it missed quite a few and then also will occasionally run an extension from the opposite end of a wall for some reason. So, I don't use that feature often.

• Mark Petri likes this

#8 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 22 June 2020 - 03:05 PM

One way to dimension angled walls is to not provide the angled dimension at all, but the dimensions at the 90 degree intersection.  This eliminates the odd dimension numbers on your plans.  The framer can layout from the 90 degree intersections.  If the framer wants they can calculate their own angled dimensions as they all have the construction calculators these days.  There may be times you need the angled dimension but I have eliminated them and have not had negative feedback from the builders and their subs.

#9 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 23 June 2020 - 08:23 AM

That is most often what I do. But, we have a lot of drawings that are fitting into mountain sites and some angle dimensions are necessary at times. I just round to the nearest 1/8".

Mark Petri

#10 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:09 PM

Also, if you are using dimension point instead of the main dimension tool it will tend to disappear once something that it is attached to has changed or cleaned up. Sometimes using dimension points is necessary, but use it sparingly.

I am having the same problem and most likely because of what Mark describes

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users