• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Terry Mangnall

Terry Mangnall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 12:45 PM

I have been using Soft Plan for over 24 years, but not so much now that my husband, a GC retired several years ago. I'm still working on Soft Plan 2014. We are helping friends remodel their home. They currently have 19' ceilings in their living room. Going into the dining room the ceiling and roof slope (6") down to 12' 3". They plan to put a new floor at 9'.  Here's my question:

How do I put in a ceiling that slopes from a flat ceiling to the 12'3" wall? We call this a cathedral ceiling in our area. That's not an option. Nor is it a gable or hip ceiling. I've been wracking my brain for the past several days changing the options to figure it out. 

Can someone help me? 

#2 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 15 June 2020 - 01:51 PM

Do you have a picture or sketch of what you are trying for? Sometimes it works with a double hip, sometimes it is best with 2 or more ceilings. If I am thinking correctly, you may just do a double hip on the one side and intersect or gable on the 3 other sides. Set the lower part (pitch) of the double hip to horizontal, and the top pitch to whatever pitch you want to fit your design. Then adjust the distance (below where you select double hip). It's been awhile since using 2014, but I think you have the capability with that version. If not, draw the flat ceiling for the space you want, then draw the sloped ceiling with one side set to hip and the pitch you want, while all other sides are set to intersect, gable or hip/vertical).

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#3 Terry Mangnall

Terry Mangnall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 08:58 PM

I should have posted this earlier. Here is a cross reference. It shows as a gable ceiling. 

#4 Terry Mangnall

Terry Mangnall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:00 PM

Let me try it again....

Attached File  Section A.pdf   54.92KB   363 downloads

#5 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:23 AM

So you want the slope first then flat. So just flip what I said and use a double hip on the low side (right side in your section) with the sloped ceiling set to the pitch you want and the distance entry set to the break line dimension off the right wall in your section to where the ceiling is flat. Then set the upper ceiling pitch to horizontal. All other edges can be set to intersect, gable or hip/vertical).

NOTE: If setting those other edges to hip/vertical it will include drywall on the vertical portion of the wall plane above the lowest part of the ceiling. So, having that where you have high windows doesn't make sense.

Mark Petri

#6 Terry Mangnall

Terry Mangnall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:06 PM

Thank you so much. I will try your solution. 

#7 Terry Mangnall

Terry Mangnall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:09 PM

NOTE: If setting those other edges to hip/vertical it will include drywall on the vertical portion of the wall plane above the lowest part of the ceiling. So, having that where you have high windows doesn't make sense.

I will also check on the front windows. The wall height is 9' and the top of the windows is set at 6'8". It does look close. The windows are part of the original house. 

#8 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:53 PM

Welcome! Trying the different edge settings on the remaining 3 sides might be a worthy experiment once you get the low edge setting to model the ceiling to look the way you want.

Mark Petri

#9 Terry Mangnall

Terry Mangnall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 01:32 PM

It worked!! Thank you so much!!!

• Mark Petri likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users