#1 Rick Kingsbury

Rick Kingsbury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationSpearfish, SD

Posted 17 June 2020 - 11:26 AM

What is a good software for estimating custom residential & light commercial buildings?

#2 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 12:55 PM

Hi Rick.

You can add SoftList to your current SoftPlan installation. Given that you are already drawing your models within SoftPlan, you can't get a more accurate material list.

For information, see: https://softplan.com/?page_id=188

To order it online, see: https://softplan.com...=k&page_id=1041   Enter your key number to access the ordering page and it can be found under Additional Modules and Accessories.

If you have any questions, contact our sales department directly at 1-800-248-0164 or sales@softplan.com .

#3 Michael Landry

Michael Landry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationEaston, Ma.

Posted 17 June 2020 - 07:21 PM

I use Clear Estimates. Never used it for commercial estimating.

#4 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, Ks

Posted 18 June 2020 - 08:20 PM

Rick:

Softplan's softlist is a good tool for material quantities, but is lacking in many other areas espically when you get into commercial projects. I have been estimating commercial projects for 53 years and by far the best and easist to develop a solid estimate is Timberline....I have used every system out there and with over $2.67 billion projects bid, Timberline is the only system that has not failed me...lol....other than the good old pencil and paper book we did before computers.....So, if you go the Softlist route, export the takeoff and work within excel.....a great source for Man Hour/Crew Hour output info is Frank Walker's reference book, and RS Means is ok as well...both have a limited crew info in the MECH/ELEC trades....The best tool is your exerience...actual there are only two things you need to COMPLETLY understand about an estimate:
1. ZERO multipled by ZERO IS NOT ZREO.....you leave something out ...the first ZERO....and you still have to build a complete project.

2. You will only make as much money as YOUR competition will allow...regardless of the size etc.
If I can be of any additional info, just drop me a note. An if ya get into a project that needs a detailed site takeoff, rock, clay etc, I can handle that as well....I use a couple different software packages for dirt/rock estimation...there is no perfect estimate...BUT there is a ton of incomplete/ wrong ones....being the low bidder is easy...but making money and being low....a whole different story....

Harlon G. " Buddy " Suttle
casekc49@gmail.com
CELL: 913-339-6242

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users