#1 Jack Carson

Jack Carson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationSouthaven, MS & Frederiksted, St. Croix USVI

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:04 AM

I am drawing a commercial building and I have a problem that I don't remember running into before.  The roof is flat (1/12) covered with TPO which is white.  I also have two small porches that have shingles.  When I add the shingles the flat room now has shingles.  So I color the roof white and the shingles on the porches turn white.  Any ideas?  I need to keep the roof white and the shingles colored.

Jack

#2 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:08 AM

You need to change the material on one of your roofs to something other than what you have on the other roof.

I hope that makes sense.

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#3 Jack Carson

Jack Carson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:48 AM

David, I figured out what I was doing wrong. I created a flat roof that was white to represent TPO, and then two porch roofs.  It's a two-story building so the roofs were not connected. I created the first porch roof with blue standing seam roofing.  No problem.  I decided to just copy the first porch roof to the location of #2.  Everything copied except the blue standing seam room.  So I just surface copied it and that's when the TPO turned into a blue roof.  I turned the TPO white and the second porch changed to white.  Number one wasn't affected.  So I decided to delete the #2 roof, which I had copied and started new.  That solved the problem.  I hope this makes sense.

#4 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:03 AM

Jack, you can also select the roofing material in the roof edit menu, so you don't have to redraw the whole thing (for future reference).

• Brent Hyndman likes this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#5 Jack Carson

Jack Carson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 05:13 AM

Thanks Mark!