9 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 03:58 AM

This is a small thing, but irrating as _ _ _ _ to me.  Is there a setting or workaround  to the footing line overlap (attached) other than turning off "footing" and drawing the dashed lines by hand?

Thanks,

Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• Footing overlap.jpg

#2 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 05:50 AM

I trace over them with lines and then turn wall footings off in visible items.

#3 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 24 September 2020 - 07:58 AM

SoftPlan's response in the past has been to explode and adjust the lines when your model is set. I think that is crazy as things always change, and often we need the model to still work. So, if it bothers me, I make the footings a separate polygon or even use a wall definition that is only footings. It still is a bunch of work for something that ought to perform better.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#4 Chris Proost

Chris Proost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:46 AM

I have this happen all the time. Adjust the wall joins to zero. Adjust all the walls away from where they intersect. Fillet the top wall and the wall on the left and then extend the bottom wall into the left wall.

Attached Thumbnails

• Wall Joins.jpg

• Tom Rogers likes this

#5 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:26 PM

Sometimes adjusting wall joins works as Chris states. Other times (often when one wall is at a different elevation than others) it does not work. Sometimes everything stays where it should. Sometimes SP decides to clean it up when a drawing is reopened.

It would be nice to be able to adjust the footing join tolerances and parameters separate from the walls. It would be great if we could change a setting to have the footing end a certain distance from the end/corner of a wall. Not that contractors cannot figure it out on their own, but it would sure be nice to show a more realistic representation of how it would actually be constructed. Regionally construction varies, so we ought to have enough customization to work with how it is done where the project is being built. Not only for footings and walls, but all parts of the model.

• Michael Landry, Jim Johnson, Dennis Asher and 3 others like this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#6 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 02:09 PM

Thanks Jim, Mark and Chris.

I do all of those things and Mark you said it best " its a bunch of work for something that ought to perfrom better"

Thanks,

Mike

• Michael Landry, Mark Petri and Jim Johnson like this

#7 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:18 AM

Hi Mike.

If you could please email the affected drawing to tech support, we'd like to take a look. support@softplantech.com 

If the footings are not all at the same level, please include a sketch of how you want the walls and footings to appear in plan.

Thanks.

#8 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:48 AM

reference alighment.jpg To all,

Thru dumb luck I just had a duh moment.  Based on Brent's request I was creating a sample of what I want the wall and footing to "look like",  thinking I was going to have to draw the foundation and footings seperate. 

I drew the sample to the right and it was perfect.  I clicked on the "Adjust Wall Join Clearance" and noticed the reference dots were not in the same place on my actual and my sample...which is the key.

As soon as you start adjusting...the reference dots disappear.  Small discovery, but important to me.  The attached is a simple wall join situation and was easy to straighten out...once the picked up on the reference dot alignment or mis-alignment.  This job and many others have tighter situations than this...but its a start for me.

So for the old pros...this was a small thing and for those who fuss over the details...maybe this helped.

I don't have the answer, but it seems to be a lot to go thru to have what is a natural construction occurance be harder to do than putting a toaster on a counter top.

Thanks,

Mike

• Tom Rogers likes this

#9 Chris Proost

Chris Proost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:05 AM

Mike - How do you get the reference dots to appear? I don't think I've ever seen those and I've been using SP for 20+ years.

#10 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:34 AM

To the point you made earlier Chris, the reduction of the wall join tolerances and order in which the walls are brought back into the join can be key to getting the desired result.  It's important to reduce the wall join tolerances and join the first two walls that form the corner then bring the third intersecting wall in after that corner has been formed. 

Using Tools- Reduce Wall Join Tolerance will show the wall joins graphically. Selecting the wall intersection in question will then reduce the joins to 0.5" which can be manipulated further if needed. The small reference points are the indicators of the wall join tolerance being reduced on the affected ends of the walls. 

The other ends show a larger capsule shape indicating that they are likely still set to the default 6" tolerance. 

• Steven Wohlgemuth and David Zawadzki like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users