#1 Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationOrange Park, Florida

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:00 PM

I just thought I would post this as I have seen a lot of discussion about what laptop / processor / video card will run Softplan efficiently.

Keep in mind that this information pertains to a LAPTOP, as that is my preferred computer of choice.

My old laptop:

I had a Toshiba Satellite with a Intel core i7 processor, with built-in Intel HD graphics. It ran Softplan 2014 just fine, even working with 3D projects.

When Softplan 2016 came out and I started using it on that same laptop, I experience a lot of crashes while working in 3D mode.

Basically I could not edit anything in 3D mode because it would cause my graphics display adapter to stop working and I would have to ctrl-alt-delete to run task manager to end Softplan.

Obviously this was VERY frustrating, so I set out to get a new laptop.

I spent many hours researching the top mobile processors and video cards and wanted the best one available, because I did not want any issues running Softplan, especially in 3D mode.

I was looking at investing around $3,000 for a laptop with the best processor and graphics card available. This was killing me since I have never spent that much on a desktop or laptop and I just could not make myself do it. Technology advances so fast that this new computer would soon be obsolete, but my payment would remain.

I started researching mobile processors and video cards that were not the top rated, but a few down the list and came up with a few options to save a few dollars.

I was leery about purchasing a lower processor and video card, because once you make that purchase (around $1,500 now), it is a done deal and what if it did not run Softplan efficiently and still crashed etc.

Well....I was looking on the Best Buy website a few weeks ago and they had a sale on ASUS ROG (Republic of Gamers) laptops. I was already considering an ASUS ROG laptop, so that was a plus.

What I came across was a Best Buy "blue label" (only available at Best Buy) ASUS ROG laptop that met my now lower criteria and the price was right.

My new laptop:

I bought an ASUS ROG G751J laptop that has an Intel core i7 4720HQ processor and a Nvidia GTX 965M dedicated graphics card with 2Gig of dedicated graphics memory. It came with 8Gigs of ram, but I added two additional sticks of memory (2 x 8G) for a total of 24Gigs of RAM. The laptop came with a 1TB 5400rmp SATA drive. I purchased an Intel 240Gig SSD drive and cloned it to be my main boot drive. I then installed the 1TB drive as a secondary drive for storage of files. All in all I spent about $1,600.

This new machine is a beast and runs Softplan perfectly for my use. I have a 3D Connexion mouse that I use along with my regular mouse and when I am in 3D rendered mode, I can navigate the 3D model with my 3D Connexion mouse and it turns around very fluidly and precisely without any hesitation.

I am writing this so anyone considering purchasing a new laptop, can have peace of mind in knowing that the above specs will run Softplan just fine.

The above is my opinion and worked for me in my situation and you could have different results than I did, so take it as an opinion and evaluate your equipment purchase just as I did.

I am not guaranteeing that the above specs will work for your requirements, but they did for mine, and I save about $1,400 over what I thought I was going to have to spend.

• Bryan Smith likes this

#2 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:49 PM

congrates, having a beast is major

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:24 PM

Sounds like a great buy Tommy.

I don't think that there's a current model of the ASUS ROG that won't run Softplan more than adequately.

My opinion is that the ASUS ROG, Toshiba QOSMIO and DELL's ALIENWARE ranges, are all excellent laptops for Softplan. I think it's a must to have a "Gaming" laptop, or you're just wasting your money.

In the end, with very few exceptions, you get what you pay for.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:52 AM

I agree about a gaming laptop being the computer of choice. I had also considered the Dell Alienware, because you can add the external desktop video GPU unit to it for ultimate power.

There are all price ranges and all equipment specs in the gaming realm, and I was worried that a lower grade one my not cut it for smooth and fluid 3D work.

There are so called gaming laptops that only have a core i5 in them.

My only reason for writing the post was to address the level of gaming laptop that I purchased (a lower level one) and that it runs 3D very efficiently.

My post was for the person that may be on the fence about purchasing a lower level gaming laptop, versus the higher level ones.

My cpu ranked 11 on the CPU benchmark, and the graphics card ranked 5 on the GPU benchmark.

#5 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:42 PM

I like my ASUS ROG rig so much, my associate went out and got one as well...

#6 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:51 AM

I have an ASUS gaming laptop approx. 4 years old and it still runs softplan very well.  It's a big heavy laptop, but does the job nicely.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another ASUS when it's time to upgrade.

#7 Michael Collazo

Michael Collazo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationTampa Florida

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:32 AM

Welcome to the ASUS ROG club... I have a G750JX a year ago, and have since added a 250 GB Solid state hard drive just for programs. This baby boots up in 6 seconds now.

"When all else fails, do the opposite."

#8 Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:34 PM

Thanks Michael!

Yeah, it boots REALLY FAST!

I am so not used to that and catch myself "waiting" sometimes, because that is what I was used to with my old laptop.

#9 Bruce Donelson

Bruce Donelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:12 PM

My 17" MSI gaming laptop runs SP just fine, and is quite fast. But its a monstrously heavy beast, and my wife groans if she sees me taking it to the airport. Does anyone have any ideas about a lightweight but fast critter?

#10 Mike Hersker

Mike Hersker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNew Albany, Indiana

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:08 AM

Thank You, Great information!!

I have been banging my head on the wall trying to decide which way to go. Now I think Im going to copy and past and head to Best Buy.. see what's available. 

#11 Bryan Smith

Bryan Smith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBend Oregon

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:52 PM

Re the 3D Connexion mouse: Do you have to do anything special to get it to function well with Softplan 16? It is in my shopping cart. Bryan.

Softplan 18+, Lumion 6,  Vimeo.  Windows 7 Pro, 32gb ram, Assus GE force RXT 2800, I-7 -3770 3.40 GHZ 4 cores. 

SkylightHomebuilders.com

#12 Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:13 PM

Re the 3D Connexion mouse: Do you have to do anything special to get it to function well with Softplan 16? It is in my shopping cart. Bryan.

Bryan,

No, you just have to install the drivers and that is it.

It works great for recording animations and is much more fluid than a standard mouse.

• Bryan Smith likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new laptop, laptop specs, new pc to run softplan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users