#1 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 12:34 PM

SP Gurus

I went back and looked up threads regarding the subject and never found using a triangle window (for shakes) with a window already there.  The attached shows a solid over the window for a siding break and above that I want shakes.  Nothing I try works.

Thanks,

Mike

Attached Files

#2 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 02:43 PM

I had read a thread about roof planes and that they were tricky and I never tried.    This was simple, however at the right angle you can tell its not back as far as it needs to be but I find that a lot, its all about the angle you present it.  Yes there will be glass under the porch...waiting on the interior decorator for cabinet placement.

Attached Files

#3 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 07 December 2020 - 01:12 PM

That is looking good. Where did you use the roof planes? I find it is all about adjustments and sometimes one way works better than another. Sometimes a hidden (not extracted in 3D) beam or two does best. Sometimes multiple roofs with holes are needed. Moving references off to hidden walls or beams outside the plan sometimes works too.

Another option for the gable siding is to extend the overhang of the top window trim piece so it covers the gable. Also, you can place another wall (siding only) with offsets to be on top of the window trim (I usually will make that wall hidden and set the wall joins to '0') and then set that wall to fit to roof as well. Pull the new shake wall out just 1/2" or so to sit in front of the main wall. Or, set up your wall definition to have each siding and trim banding at the exact locations you want for that particular wall. It takes some adjusting, but it works too. You can either do the trim with the window, banding, interior trim, or in the wall definition. Lots of options, just have to try out different ones to see what works best for you and how you want to present your drawings. Once you decide on the way you want, you always need to check to be sure the materials are extracted and checked to show up in elevations and renderings.

Attached Files

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#4 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 02:24 PM

Thanks Mark...That worked for me easier than I expected.  While in 3D, locked the elevation as opposed to the radio dial, clicked roof, roof plane, traced the triangle (barely inside the fascia) it showed up as shingle then assigned a shake texture.

• Mark Petri likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users