Photo

Pricing - Design, CD docs, 3d interior/exterior, softlist, ect...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan Schultz

Bryan Schultz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 02:52 PM

I have a builder who wants full 3D exterior and interior down to outlets, switches, lighting, finishes, ect...... Also, he is looking for Softlist materials list. 

How do you charge for this level of service? 

#2 Dennis Asher

Dennis Asher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWillow Springs, Missouri

Posted 11 December 2020 - 03:22 PM

However much it takes for him to say no... :D

• Warren Ducote, Jack Carson, Rick Kingsbury and 4 others like this

#3 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 11 December 2020 - 03:36 PM

Yeah - lots of work, lots of liability.

I'd expect it will take a lot of time especially if anyone changes their mind or something doesn't quite properly represent the look. So, if you really want to do the work, tell him your hourly fees and you can update him every week or on some sort of regular timeframe where you are with progress invoices (to be paid in full upon receipt).  Then add in some sort of liability disclaimer as not everything calculates out perfectly. It is gonna get ugly if material numbers are off for certain aspects of the model when you've spent so much time on it.

• Stephan Page likes this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#4 Jeff Grenz

Jeff Grenz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 04:30 PM

I'd love it too but still don't understand Softlist enough to use it. I'm a builder using Soft Plan since approx 2006/7.

What I draw in for 3D purposes doesn't work for softlist as I'm constantly pasting finishes onto surfaces. What I draw in for engineering details won't work for hardware, which is usually 50 cents -1.50 per sf. 

Guessing its a several week process to tweek the lumber model into accuracy. 

Do you all have truss plants working on flat packs for walls and floors yet? It's coming soon. 

#5 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 05:10 PM

I don't do anything with softlist so I can't answer to that.  My clients all get interior/exterior 3D in Lumion plus an animated walk through after the project is done and sent to the engineer.  I include this in my normal fee since all homes I design become a stock plan sold with publisher partners immediately.  Here's a link to a walk thru we recently did in Lumion after modeling in softplan. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI08176oDNs&t=20s

• David Zawadzki and Stephan Page like this

#6 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 11 December 2020 - 05:23 PM

Material estimating in reality is an art.  When I did construction, the lumber yard did the framing material takeoff.  He did it over and over and knew all the rules of thumb for the general area we were in.  He created the material package in groups to be sent out, i.e. foundation materials package, walls and joists and some OSB, rafters and OSB, facia, soffit, and trim materials.  A electrical layout will give a count of all the electrical needed in the electrical schedule.  I believe in what Dennis said, just let him know it is time consuming even when done in a computer software package such as Softplan and set a high price.  If you try to be a good guy about it, you will find you are making a low wage and then he will want that price from now on. If it was a production plan, I can see the need.

I tell my clients I can draw to any level of detail but it does not cost the same.  They get a basic design package, and then extras from there.

#7 Gary Wicklund

Gary Wicklund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationDuncan BC Canada

Posted 11 December 2020 - 07:59 PM

Don’t go there, a good builder doesn’t need that much detail, and if he insists find another client.

just not worth the time..., you’ll never get paid for the hours you’ll spend on it.

the more you do the more liability you take on, I keep it simple.  Lol

my 2 cents

• Stephan Page likes this

#8 Warren Ducote

Warren Ducote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, Texas

Posted 12 December 2020 - 06:27 AM

That would be a quick "Not Interested!"

• Rick Kingsbury and Gary Wicklund like this

#9 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 12 December 2020 - 12:38 PM

I have a builder who wants full 3D exterior and interior down to outlets, switches, lighting, finishes, ect...... Also, he is looking for Softlist materials list. 

How do you charge for this level of service? 

If the builder has the money and you have the time... why not???

As a custom homebuilder, one of the biggest challenges is to get the clients selections done in a timely manner.  With today's software, it shouldn't be that hard to offer this service to your clients.

Attached Files

• John Jones and Steve and Carla Farnam like this
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#10 Bryan Schultz

Bryan Schultz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 08:13 AM

Thanks for all the feedback! When I posted this, I was already leaning towards a big no! As mentioned, I could not see him paying enough to justify the time involved and I had already covered that the material list would not be guaranteed. 

Jeff Grenz -- What are flat packs? 

#11 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 08:59 AM

I wouldn't do it for less than $1.25 - $1.50/sqft. 

• ROBERT BROGAN likes this

#12 Tim Stockton

Tim Stockton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 14 December 2020 - 09:58 AM

When bidding projects, large of small, always estimate the time it will take you to complete the project, then double it.  That will allow the change orders, customer not sure what they want, etc. that inevitably will come along.  If you are charging by the square foot, run the numbers and adjust your price until it lines up with the above number.  Don't cheat yourself - we all invest a lot of time and money in our craft and clients need to respect that.  

• Tom Rogers and Stephan Page like this

#13 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 14 December 2020 - 10:56 AM

Brian, I imagine Jeff is referring to the companies that assemble trusses could also assemble walls.  Flat pack would refer to the stacking of the walls for transport to site.  This concept could work well, but you must have your foundation dead on accurate or the pieces of the puzzle won't fit together. 

#14 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 14 December 2020 - 03:44 PM

I wouldn't do it for less than $1.25 - $1.50/sqft. 

That's about half of what I'd charge.

• Jon Davis likes this

#15 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 07:20 PM

That's about half of what I'd charge.

I agree.  I'm double that for typical new homes here.  I'm sure pricing around the country varies, but I won't touch a project for less than 2.00 a foot

• Jon Davis likes this

#16 Warren Ducote

Warren Ducote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, Texas

Posted 15 December 2020 - 05:53 AM

I agree.  I'm double that for typical new homes here.  I'm sure pricing around the country varies, but I won't touch a project for less than 2.00 a foot

Is that for living space or under roof?

#17 Gary Wicklund

Gary Wicklund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationDuncan BC Canada

Posted 15 December 2020 - 07:58 AM

Brian, I imagine Jeff is referring to the companies that assemble trusses could also assemble walls.  Flat pack would refer to the stacking of the walls for transport to site.  This concept could work well, but you must have your foundation dead on accurate or the pieces of the puzzle won't fit together. 

They work ok if your site is isolated, but if you need to change something they’re a lot of work.

Also not cheap, you pay the labor and markup to have them built in a shop, then your site guys have to carry them and set them up,brace and straighten. Most guys would rather frame a 32’ wall on the deck and tilt up than wrestle panels.

sorry, bit off topic.

maybe start a new topic on the pros and lots of cons to prefab.  Lol

#18 Bryan Schultz

Bryan Schultz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 03:53 PM

In the end, this particular builder needs an in house full time designer/draftsman in my opinion. I'm not a "put all your eggs in one basket guy" and that's what it would end up being. 

Thanks again for the input. 

• Gary McKeon and Jon Davis like this

#19 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 16 December 2020 - 10:57 AM

I thought this video by SoftPlan “Overview of 3D” would be pertinent to the OP in case someone was interested...

https://youtu.be/DPvXMotUvQM

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#20 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 09:27 AM

Is that for living space or under roof?

$2.00 a foot for living space above ground.  $0.50 a foot for basements/bonus rooms/decks.  I don't charge for garage space or covered porches.

• Warren Ducote and ROBERT BROGAN like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users