Photo

Pricing - Design, CD docs, 3d interior/exterior, softlist, ect...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 December 2020 - 09:43 AM

$2.00 a foot for living space above ground.  $0.50 a foot for basements/bonus rooms/decks.  I don't charge for garage space or covered porches.

So a 2,000 sft foot home.  flat lot.  2 car garage.  "L" shaped.  6:12 pitch.  Basic of basic.  You would invoice me $4,000

#22 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 18 December 2020 - 09:08 AM

So a 2,000 sft foot home. flat lot. 2 car garage. "L" shaped. 6:12 pitch. Basic of basic. You would invoice me $4,000

Looks like you forgot to include 50 cents per sq.foot for the basement area, etc...
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#23 Henry Buckner

Henry Buckner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 10:06 AM

"flat lot"

#24 PAUL LADNER

PAUL LADNER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 19 December 2020 - 03:19 PM

Sam,  what does that $2/ft include? Design development?, construction docs? what does the client get for that?

I'm trying to wrap my head around that price - it seems so low.

Where I work in the SF Bay Area to go from design concept to permit drawings it's at least ten times that.

#25 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 04:18 PM

Sam, what does that $2/ft include? Design development?, construction docs? what does the client get for that?
Where I work in the SF Bay Area to go from design concept to permit drawings it's at least ten times that.

Let me know if you need help producing permit drawings. I would like to see a typical set of Final Plans to see what is included. Feel free to email me:
Jason@JLBDesignsLLC.com

#26 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 20 December 2020 - 05:02 PM

Sam,  what does that $2/ft include? Design development?, construction docs? what does the client get for that?

The Bay area is it's own little world. The stuff you have to go through is, in my opinion, beyond ridiculous. While on the surface it would appear that you are making an astronomical fee the amount of work, meetings, reviews, etc. ad nauseum, just isn't worth it! I do a fair amount of things for California and there is always more and more the contracted plans examiners want. And now there are all of the growing wildfire construction requirements. Compare what you have to do Paul to most of the rest of the country and it is, literally night and day. I doubt I would be in this business if I had to work where you do!

#27 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 09:49 AM

So a 2,000 sft foot home.  flat lot.  2 car garage.  "L" shaped.  6:12 pitch.  Basic of basic.  You would invoice me $4,000

Exactly.  

#28 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 22 December 2020 - 11:56 AM

I find that some owners drive costs way up due to their indecision or lack of response on things. So, we tell customers we will give them a budget, but charge by the hour. If they are decisive and do not flip flop (especially after prelims) they will reap the benefits. If not, the cost of their plans may be much more than the decisive owner's would for the same project. If they are adding extra time we discuss the budget and try to direct them back on track, but tell them it is ultimately up to them if they have us spend way more time with constant changes or long overdue decisions that have ripple affects. It works out to be mutually beneficial in most cases.

• Michael Landry and Jon Davis like this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#29 Jeffrey Elliott

Jeffrey Elliott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationNew Palestine, IN

Posted 27 December 2020 - 12:17 PM

I agree with Sam.  If you don't ask you won't receive.  I just keep raising and raising my prices and have more customers than ever.  I also do Lumion renders but ...they have to pay for them.  You don't get gasoline free just for smiling at the cashier so why give anything for free.  The customer may think its free...but its built into the cost.  I like to draw...but I like to have nice things too.  Never be afraid to ask for what your worth.  Besides you have money in your software, computers, printers, and your knowledge from your experience.

Jeff

• Gary McKeon likes this

Jeff Elliott

New Palestine, IN

jeffelliott@me.com

NPI Consulting LLC

#30 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 12:26 PM

I agree with Sam.  If you don't ask you won't receive.  I just keep raising and raising my prices and have more customers than ever.  I also do Lumion renders but ...they have to pay for them.  You don't get gasoline free just for smiling at the cashier so why give anything for free.  The customer may think its free...but its built into the cost.  I like to draw...but I like to have nice things too.  Never be afraid to ask for what your worth.  Besides you have money in your software, computers, printers, and your knowledge from your experience.

Jeff

My prices are triple what they were 10 years ago.  I try to raise things once a year.  I'm not interested in working for pennies just to get by.  I offer much more than most of the competitors in my area which is why I can get top dollar for my work.  

• Tom Rogers and Jon Davis like this

#31 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 28 December 2020 - 08:27 AM

My prices are triple what they were 10 years ago.  I try to raise things once a year.  I'm not interested in working for pennies just to get by.  I offer much more than most of the competitors in my area which is why I can get top dollar for my work.  

I need to learn from Sam.  I offer more than anyone else around however I believe my prices are probably fair but low.  I say that as I don't get as much back step from my prices as I used to.  I do have separate pricing for my builder clients and one for general homeowners (builders know [mostly] what they want so there is not much back and forth).  While my sq. ft. price is about $1.50 it still usually comes out around 4% of construction cost,  This would be for metro Atlanta. .  

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#32 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 09:25 PM

I need to learn from Sam.  I offer more than anyone else around however I believe my prices are probably fair but low.  I say that as I don't get as much back step from my prices as I used to.  I do have separate pricing for my builder clients and one for general homeowners (builders know [mostly] what they want so there is not much back and forth).  While my sq. ft. price is about $1.50 it still usually comes out around 4% of construction cost,  This would be for metro Atlanta. .  

Tom,

Your prices are about dead on with what John Honea just told me he was at...also working in Atlanta area.  I've also seen what he is required to have as a permit set and its nothing like what I have to supply here.  My drawings start at 15-18 sheets and end up between 25-30 once the structural engineer is done.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users