Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:23 AM

WOO HOO .... FANTASTIC.

The revised PDF export, with the optimise for size, has made a HUGE difference to the size of the files for emailing, and very little difference to the export quality.

My last blueprint exported at 19,372 KB, which wasn't e-mailable - with the Optimise for size at 300 dpi (which is still more than adequate for emailed drawings) that was down to 6,455 KB which was perfectly managable.

2015.07.21_10h34m01s_001.png

Thank You.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#2 Cory Ewing

Cory Ewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:13 AM

this really is a nice improvement.  My last project to complete was over 20mb.  I couldn't email it without manually reducing the file size using Acrobat.  I didn't get a lot of reduction using the lower dpi settings but it is enough that I could email it and it will same some disk space in the future. 

15 pages in plan sets
21.7 MB - no option checked to optimize 
16.3 MB - optimized at 1200 dpi
14.9 MB - optimized at 600 dpi
13.2 MB - optimized at 300 dpi

#3 Anthony Wielemaker

Anthony Wielemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationGreely, Ontario

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:04 PM

Hey guys that is a great option where do you find it?

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:13 PM

In Plan Sets.

Right Click on the plan set, EXPORT PDF, and in the dialogue box there is an Checkbox to "Optimize for Size" and you get a choice of 1200 dpi, 600 dpi and 300 dpi.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#5 Anthony Wielemaker

Anthony Wielemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:30 AM

I knew it must but pretty simple but it seems I don't seem to have that option, I'll have to contact tech support Monday.  Thanks.

#6 Anthony Wielemaker

Anthony Wielemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 07:10 AM

Hey Keith this is a bit off topic but how are you managing to add attachments to  your posts.  I know it's likely fairly simple as well but alas I can't seem to make it work.  Thanks.

#7 Anthony Wielemaker

Anthony Wielemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 07:36 AM

Here's the dialogue box I get when I Right Click on the plan set then pick EXPORT PDF:

2015-08-16 09_30_02-Clipboard.png

Finally got the image attachment somewhat figured out.

#8 Keith Owens

Keith Owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:14 AM

Looks like you may not have updated the most recent patch. You can see what version you're on by clicking on Help > About Softplan 2016. You can also just check for updates in the "System Options : Setup Options" dialogue box.

SP 2016 current version.jpg

This is a great feature to have, although can't make use of it with an entire package for my apartment projects - the file sizes are just too large to start with. I this case I have found Dropbox to work well. The client, vendors, or subcontractors can download, print, or just view the entire package by sending them a link - and best of all, it's free!

16 Unit Building PDF Sizes.jpg

#9 Anthony Wielemaker

Anthony Wielemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:53 PM

Ah good one I just recently upgraded to 2016, after you're original post actually, and I never thought to look to see if I had the most recent patch, alas it wasn't updated.  Softplan wasn't set check for updates automatically for some reason, fixed now.  I've also used Dropbox and Google drive to some success with clients but I had one client really confused and frustrated (he was using also using apple machines) so I only use it when I know the client will be able access it easily, it really is the way to go in this world of increasing file sizes.  Thanks for the help.

#10 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 01:02 PM

You should also consider Wetransfer it allows you to actually e-mail 2GB or more almost "directly" to a clients email. And it's free up to 2GB. I've found it works better than a dropbox link.

Keith

#11 Anthony Wielemaker

Anthony Wielemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:43 AM

I'll give it a go at some point if I need it, installed the update and the option is showing up now, I'm sure we'll talk again in the forum.  Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PDF, export

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users