#1 Brent Eichman

Brent Eichman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationManhattan Kansas

Posted 10 January 2021 - 03:41 PM

Does anyone know a way to have two types of roofing material (ie. asphalt shingle and standing seam metal) on a double hip roof?

In the past I've created two separate roofs and pitches to accomplish this. Hoping there is a fix that I'm not aware of when using the double hip option.

Home Assurance LLC

Home Inspection

Project Consulting

Architectural Design

#2 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 09:06 PM

Following......I don’t think it can be done in 2020. I’ve been drawing (2) separate roofs to get the look.

#3 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 08:24 AM

I with jason, I think you have to draw 2 seperate roofs.... If there's nothing under the "Edit edge" dialog box to edit the material of just that edge, then I doubt it could be done. 

#4 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:01 AM

You can also add another roof over the top with adjusted lollipops or a shed dormer offset correctly (use walls or beams set not to extract and offset so that roof material is the only thing showing while turning off everything else), or use a beam with unique material and size set to fit to roof then offset, or use a ceiling and offset over the top of the double hip. Depends on the shape of what you are trying to cover and how much adjusting you might do. It may take a bit of work, but could be less hassle for how the fascia and soffit align with one double hip roof system and something added on top for the different roof material. If using SoftList it may get confusing, but works well often (and can be set to turn off in certain modes or views if desired.

Attached Files

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#5 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:10 AM

Roof drawn over top of the main one (fascia and soffit turned off), offset heel 1/4" above main roof....

Attached Files

Mark Petri

#6 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:28 AM

With a wide beam set to fit to roof then offset up and adjusted into place. This does not work if you need to see inside the house/roof as well or have anything other than a straight gable end. Could also try a solid wedge or driveway, patio, sidewalk, planting bed, etc. all with correct offsets and thicknesses.

Attached Files

Mark Petri

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users