• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Randy Fisbeck

Randy Fisbeck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 04:21 PM

I find plenty posts on using other rendering software for 3D like Lumion & VRay and samples for Plus subscribers but would like to know if there is 3D rendering software compatible with the given export file formats (DWG, DXF, 3DS, and POV) available in 2020 stand alone desktop. I'm not interested in monthly subscriptions or other CAD programs at this point. Anyone have experience with other stand alone rendering software like Blender, Luxcore, Artlandis, etc with 2020 desktop export files?

Thank you!

#2 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 22 January 2021 - 04:29 PM

Twin Motion. Just export to sketchup file... but I think you need to be on SoftPlan+

Works great!
  • Steven Wohlgemuth likes this
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#3 Randy Fisbeck

Randy Fisbeck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 06:23 PM

Twin Motion. Just export to sketchup file... but I think you need to be on SoftPlan+

Works great!

Thank you but I am looking for a non SoftPlan+ solution.

#4 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 22 January 2021 - 06:43 PM

I believe it could still work if you export a 3DS or 3D DWG from SP and then import to SU (or another program).

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#5 Guest_Derrik Bauer_*

Guest_Derrik Bauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:05 PM

I've dabbled a little with Blender, but it was too steep of a learning curve for me.  I think it's probably the most  powerful rendering software I've ever used, but only in the hands of an experienced user.

I use TwinMotion now and it's so easy and mostly bug free.  Rendering times are super fast and quality is great.

• David Zawadzki likes this

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 January 2021 - 09:23 PM

Kerkythea can use obj and 3ds formats, including 3ds Max , Blender , LightWave 3D , SketchUp , Silo and Wings3D.

Kerkythea is also FREE, so you can try it out anytime.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#7 Randy Fisbeck

Randy Fisbeck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 11:19 PM

Thank you for the replies. Blender does seem to be a little tough to learn and I didn't really want to get too involved with it since the new version does not import 3DS file formats. I tried to install a pulg-in for 3DS in Blender but no luck so far. Like most programs 3DS seems to be in the phase out phase like POV? Have not heard of Kerkythea so I'll look closer. I'm also installing Twinmotion since I'm hearing they still supporting 3ds.

#8 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 01 February 2021 - 01:31 PM

I use SoftPlan 3d capabilities to work with my business so that I don't need or have to pay for other software.  Maybe V2022 offer more for everyone in the 3d department.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Q4.jpg   145.66KB   6 downloads
  • Attached File  KITCHEN 2.jpg   121.42KB   5 downloads
  • Attached File  q1.png   665.45KB   2 downloads
  • Attached File  GR2.jpg   129.2KB   2 downloads

• Mark Petri, Neil Paquette, Rick Kingsbury and 3 others like this

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#9 Neil Paquette

Neil Paquette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationLudlow, MA

Posted 01 March 2023 - 09:43 PM

Joseph, love your monochrome renderings.   I just haven't worked with the Illustrated mode to get things that clean. 

Any tips?  Even better, would you mind sharing some of your View files?

Looks awesome. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users