#1 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:53 AM

This is probably a dumb question, but does SoftPlan have a construction line command/tool? In AutoCAD you can draw regular lines, or you can draw a construction line that automatically draws the line to the extents of the drawing either horizontally, vertically, or in a 2 point click direction. I'm just wondering because it would be nice to have this same capability when drawing cad elevations in SoftPlan. In AutoCAD the command would work by starting the construction line command, then you can select your directional option, and then click once and it would generate the construction line on that point but it would extend to the drawing extents. I glanced through the command list in SoftPlan but I don't see anything that looks like what I am looking for. 

#2 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:57 AM

To my knowledge it doesn't, but I have created my own by putting a centerline style line on it's own layer, fading it, and locking it, and setting it to "no print" (all layer settings, not line settings)

If you do that you have to make sure the setting for make non-printable items visible is checked. 

• David Johnson likes this

#3 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 27 January 2021 - 09:05 AM

What would be the intent and purpose of such a line in your elevation drawings?
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#4 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 09:16 AM

Jon, that's a good idea, thanks for the tip!

David, its mostly just a time saver when manually detailing elevations. Instead of starting a line segment and panning to click so that it is outside of the area that is being detailed, you click once and it generates the line. Then I can use those lines as references for snap points. Once the elevation is complete you can just erase the construction lines.

#5 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:23 AM

David J. is right. In CAD it provides a lot of functional help when drawing in 2D. It provides an infinite plane so that no matter where you are in the drawing the line is visible as a reference.

Imagine them like strings on batter boards on a construction site.

#6 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:38 AM

You can also use a grid and set snap. But, if you draw everything so that the 3D is correct, you shouldn't even have to create 2D elevations. Using reference points and drawing floor plans in the exact same space on your drawing window for each level also helps with making sure things align in the Z axis. That's the beauty of getting everything in a model. Granted, if you have certain things that do not model correctly in SP, drawing in 2D on an elevation can be faster. Especially for those who grew up in the AutoCAD 2D world.

• Jon Davis and David Zawadzki like this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#7 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:58 AM

I came from 11 years of 2D and 3D drafting in AutoCAD software programs to SoftPlan just a few months ago so there are definitely a lot of things I am still learning and getting used to. SoftPlan definitely has AutoCAD beat in the 3D department, but in my opinion AutoCAD is much more intuitive when it comes to 2D drafting. I imagine that as I get more comfortable with SoftPlan and modeling custom things in 3D that it will become less of an issue, but it is definitely frustrating at times right now.

• Jon Davis likes this

#8 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:21 AM

I get that. SP is a different animal. Some limitations, some fast results. All trade-offs have to be weighed.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#9 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 03:36 PM

It is intuitive for you because you HAD to do the 2d elevations and you did them all the time.

Greek to me - I get all my elevations from the 3D model.

It will actually feel very strange to you but give it time and it will become intuitive too !!

• John Jones, Keith Almond and David Zawadzki like this

#10 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 27 January 2021 - 03:43 PM

One of the reasons I made the switch from Acad to SoftPlan back in the late 80's is because SoftPlan didn't work like Acad.  ;-)

Embrace the change, David J...

• David Franz likes this
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#11 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:01 PM

... but in my opinion AutoCAD is much more intuitive when it comes to 2D drafting ...

I learnt Softplan before I learnt AutoCAD. I found Softplan remarkable easy to understand and very intuitive. By contrast I thought that AutoCAD was awkward, clunky and unintuitive.

I think your problem is that you are thinking in AutoCAD terms and methods and trying to adapt them to Softplan, and it's not working how you want. They are completely different in approach, and you have to forget virtually everything that you have already learnt about CAD and re-learn. It's probably going to make the learning curve steeper, but will be worth it in the end.

I used AutoCAD for 10 years in an office enviroment, and now faced with the AutoCAD screen, I've no idea how anything works. It's amazing what you get used to.

Like a couple of the other posters, I've no idea why need construction lines, or why you are trying to draw elevations when Softplan willl generate them for you. Admittedly you need to do a little tidying up, but nothing that should require construction lines.

• Jon Davis likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#12 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 07:26 AM

I still don't use the Model for elevations... growing up in a CAD world, to me it's still easier and quicker to knock out a 2D elevation in SP

to portray what I want the house to look like. 

#13 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 08:27 AM

I'm in the same boat as Jon, at least for now. Not to mention when I am drawing a custom construction detail of something it would be easier to just whip out a 2D CAD drawing in a few minutes than to take the time to try and make the model look like it needs to just to auto generate an elevation of it. I have no doubt it I will eventually get used to it, I am just struggling to break the AutoCAD mindset, especially when at this point in time there are things I know I could draw quicker in AutoCAD than in SoftPlan. I'll get there at some point!

#14 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:02 AM

David, I have been using Generic Cad, General Cad, Autocad and Datacad for 30 years. I understand what you are saying. It really is a paradigm shift going over to Softplan. I have been using Softplan off and on for many years now as well and really do enjoy it so much more than autocad. So here is what I have found out for me: Don't fight it! Softplan is a different program and it works and thinks different than what you know. You cannot use softplan the same way BUT you can do some things to make the transition easier. Make a list of your primary 1 and 2 key shortcuts in autocad and then change softplan to work the same way (although in softplan you can only use 1 key). This will help. Still do whatever specific detailing you need to in autocad and then import it into softplan. Strongly suggest you use plan sets as it makes things easier.

There are times and reasons, which I won't go into, where working on all of your elevations on one drawing is a timesaver. Just do it and don't look back. You still have to pay the bills and deal with timelines so do what you have to do. The important thing is to push yourself a little more each day to not give in to the "I can do it faster and easier in autocad" reasoning. Start using softplan to redraw some of your standard details. You will find that there aren't nearly as many tools as autocad has but you can get the job done. Remember that softplan wasn't created to primarily work that way so it will never be as robust as autocad in 2D. So what!

Keep working at it. Push yourself a little more each day or week. Maybe set some goals. Keep watching the training videos. Ask questions here on the forum. At some point you will get to a point where you will leave autocad behind. Or maybe not. I use both on a regular basis, literally, every day. Who says you can't if you want to? 

• David Johnson likes this

#15 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:20 AM

I might just see if my boss would be open to adding a single AutoCAD LT license for a short time period to allow me to draw up a library of the details that they are wanting to build. I know i'll only get better with SoftPlan through practice, but deadlines don't wait!  :wacko:

#16 Dennis Asher

Dennis Asher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWillow Springs, Missouri

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:14 AM

Softplan user for 15 years.  I always did my elevations in 2d line work until version 2020 came out and I "forced" myself to start using the autogenerated/annotated 3d models for my elevations.  Personally I think it saves me double digit hours, if not days, during the design concept of a job.  As the customer makes changes to the plan, the elevations are automatically updated.  I typically will have 3 to 5 versions of the floor plan before we reach the "final" version and I used to "draw/edit" the elevations each time.  I guess it depends on how you price your work.  I charge by the "heated" square foot of the project and up to 5 revisions (before con docs) are included in that price.  The annotated elevations do have their setbacks though if you are using plan sets.  Sometimes we will do a "master plan" that will have multiple optional elevations.  I can bring the floor plans into the plan set and control the visibility of the different building options.  But with the elevations when you have Elevation "A" picked then the plan set page you have set up for Elevation "B" is blank.

• Jon Davis likes this

#17 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:21 PM

If I still needed to draw elevations using "construction line" tools I would have quit this profession years ago.. that just brings up painful memories..

I will repeat what others have said... SoftPlan (or any 3D BIM drawing tool) is a completely different animal than the old 2D line drafting world... it's going to be a lot different than what you are accustomed too.. There are likely to be some things you'll ALWAYS miss from the way you used to do them... and you'll never get away from 2D linework completely and SP may never be as good a 2D program as ACAD (for many) ... That said, after you gat the hang of the way SoftPlan is intended to be used, you'll never look back...

• John Jones likes this

#18 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 09:28 PM

Softplan 2-D elevations generated from a model should take less than 30 mins to produce all 4. Clean up a few lines and your done.

Annotated Elevations are clunky, but they are making progress. The time to add a few notes to annotated elevations will cut the 30 min time to 10 min for all 4 elevations.

Autocad is archaic in comparison. I used Softplan with the “autocad” mindset and drawing lines for elevations for years. Learning to draw it correctly in Softplan will save you a lot of time and make you a lot more efficient.
  • David Zawadzki likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users