#1 Chris Robinson

Chris Robinson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationKelowna, B.C. Canada

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:44 AM

In all of the tutorials, I can't find anything on walkout basements other than how to slope the grade on the 3D.

I would like to know how to step the top of the foundation wall down with a framed wall above. I would like it to be adjustable to match the drops in grade. Do I just need to create a new wall type here? Why wouldn't SP have this already in the package. I can't remember the last time a drew a house on a flat lot. ( I know that depends on where you live) 

#2 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:55 PM

I created a wall definition that has concrete on the bottom and a wood framed wall on the top. The key is to enable the ""Transition" function (see attached). Now "Insert Breaks" into you concrete walls where you want your steps to occur. Replace the segments of concrete walls with your transition wall and now you can edit these walls to:

• adjust the walls "Offset" down to establish the footing depth
  • Adjust the total wall height to bring the top of the transition wall to the top of the full height concrete walls
  • On the "Transition" tab of the wall to establish where the transition between the concrete and framed wall occurs

Attached Thumbnails

• Transition wall def.PNG
  • TRansition tab.PNG

• Allen McDonnell and David Zawadzki like this

#3 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 08 February 2021 - 06:02 PM

The only issue with stepping walls in SP is that openings will not bridge the "breaks" (steps) which is not realistic. So, some thought has to go into what you do with that. If a new project and some flexibility in grade and design, you can find ways to fit openings as you want. But, when drawing an existing structure to add onto, or a larger opening needs to bridge such steps, you may end up wanting to use 2 different walls stacked on top of each other with the opening in the continuous one. Hopefully we see some improvements in this area (hoping the 2022 version is revealed this week as it is show time).

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#4 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 09 February 2021 - 08:45 AM

I rarely draw anything on flat lots either and don't believe custom walls is a good solution for me.  I simply use a level called SUB Foundation for the taller part of a foundation wall that goes down...usually 4' below my finished grade.  This level doesn't appear on any of my sheets, its mainly done for 3d to work properly, sections to cut properly and elevations to be generated properly. in the model stack its at the bottom just above my site drawing.

I don't use my Softlist but guessing this would give accurate results.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture1.JPG

• David Franz likes this

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users