• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 John Jones

John Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 10:00 AM

That’s exactly what of Nests are intended for.  Draw a unit, then use nest to insert other units.  The units can be flipped and rotated without losing the link back to the original.

The other intention is handling of construction details.

Thanks John..

I do have an apartment building project upcoming where I could put the nested drawing feature to work (if I'm understanding that correctly).. but that's a few months out yet..

Otherwise I'll dive right in...

• Brent Hyndman likes this

#2 John Pepper

John Pepper

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 406 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 03:23 PM

Quick Start:

Look To File->Nest->Create Source Region to create regions on an existing drawing that can be inserted into other drawings.

Look To File->Nest->Insert Drawing or Region to insert an entire drawing or an existing region into a drawing.

Once you create a region you can add or remove elements using the right click on the entity of interest in the source drawing.

• Tim Stockton, Brent Hyndman and David Zawadzki like this

#3 Kevin Rowlett

Kevin Rowlett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 10:17 AM

Here is the current documentation on how to use the Nest features. FYI: This was written a while back and will get an update before inclusion in the 2022 Help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creating Source Regions

If you want to insert a region of a drawing into a different drawing, the first step is to define the region to be inserted as a source region. Once defined, the source region is saved within the project so that you can quickly insert it into other drawings and modify it as necessary.

To Create a Source Region

1.   Select File ® Nest ® Create Source Region.

2.   Form an expanding box surrounding the area of the drawing you want to designate the source region.

3.   In the menu that opens, enter a name for the source region.

4.   Select ok to save the source region to the system.

Inserting Drawings and Regions from Drawings

Whole drawings or source regions that have been created from drawings can be inserted into their destination drawings. Once inserted, you can manipulate these nested regions to accommodate the design needs of the destination drawing. Destination drawings can be within the same project as the source drawings and regions or in a different project within the system folder.

To Insert a Drawing

1.   Open the destination drawing into which you want to insert the source drawing.

2.   Select File ® Nest ® Insert Drawing or Region… The Insert Nested Region menu opens: 

3.   From the Drawing to Use field, click the Choose Drawing button to open the Merge Drawing menu. Here, select the drawing you want to insert and click open.

4.   With the Insert Drawing button selected in the Options field, select ok.

5.   Move the cursor to position the source drawing into the desired location for insertion. Once you have positioned the drawing, click to insert.

Note:

·    Once inserted, the nested drawing appears as a single color. By performing an edit on the nested drawing, this color can be changed to a different color or the original drawing colors can be used instead. To learn more, see the section Editing Nested Regions later in this lesson.

·    The nested drawing can be repositioned on the destination drawing using the normal Move commands such as Move and Rotate. The Flip Region Vertical Axis and Flip Region Horizontal Axis commands are also available in a right-click edit of the nested drawing. To learn more about moving items on drawings, see Chapter 3, Lesson 2 Moving Items.

To Insert a Region from a Drawing

1.   Open the destination drawing into which you want to insert the source region.

2.   Select File ® Nest ® Insert Drawing or Region… The Insert Nested Region menu opens: 

3.   From the Drawing to Use field, click the Choose Drawing button to open the Merge Drawing menu. Here, select the drawing that contains the source region you want to insert and click open.

4.   With the Insert Region From Drawing button selected in the Options field, use the drop down menu to select the region you want to insert.

5.   Select ok.

6.   Move the cursor to position the region into the desired location for insertion. Once you have positioned the region, click to insert.

Note:

·    Once inserted, the nested region appears as a single color. By performing an edit on the nested region, this color can be changed to a different color or the original drawing colors of the region can be used instead. To learn more, see the section Editing Nested Regions and Drawings later in this lesson.

·    The nested region can be repositioned on the destination drawing using the normal Move commands such as Move and Rotate. The Flip Region Vertical Axis and Flip Region Horizontal Axis commands are also available in a right-click edit of the nested region. To learn more about moving items on drawings, see Chapter 3, Lesson 2 Moving Items.

Editing Nested Regions

Nested regions can be modified to specify the way they appear and behave in destination drawings.

To Edit a Nested Region

1.   With the destination drawing open, select Edit® Edit Item.

2.   Select the nested region you want to change. The Nested Region menu opens:

3.   Use the following menu items in the Nested Region tab to modify the settings of the nested region:

Color

Use this field to specify the color you want to use to identify the contents within the nested region.

Nested Entities use Color

By default, nested entities use a single color to identify the contents within the entity. Uncheck this item if you would rather use the original drawing colors for the nested entity than assign a single color.

Automatically Sync with Source

With this item selected, SoftPlan will automatically sync the nested entity with its source drawing. This means that a nested entity that is resynced will update to reflect any changes that have been made to the source drawing. To learn more about resyncing nested drawings and regions, see the following section Resyncing Active Regions.

4.   The information in the Common tab is specified in the same way for all editable items. To learn how to set this information, see Setting Information in the Common Tab in Chapter 3, Lesson 4 Editing Drawings.

5.   When you have finished editing the nested region, select the ok button.

Resyncing Active Regions

When nested regions are set to sync with their source drawings, they are considered active and any changes that have been made to the source can be instantly applied to the regions through a resync.

If you want to resync a single active region, right-click the region and select Resync Region.

If you want to resync all of the active regions in a project, select File ® Nest ® Resync Active Regions.

Note:

In order for a nested region to be active so that it will resync with its source drawing, the nested region must be set to Automatically Sync with Source. To learn more, see the previous section Editing Nested Regions.

• John Jones, John Pepper, Darrell Galloway and 1 other like this

#4 Michael Collazo

Michael Collazo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 10:12 AM

I do not find "flip region vertical or horizontal axxis". Was that option eliminated. I am hoping to find more precision when moving them. Move with move point is not working.

Michael A Collazo

Planmark Design Studio, LLC

Tampa, Florida

http://planmarkstudio.com

info@planmarkstudio.com

#5 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 09 April 2021 - 11:11 AM

Something that was left out of the help description is that you can control the insertion point of the nested region, by repositioning the large origin point . This point is created when you first place the expanding box around the new region that you want to create. This makes it a lot easier to accurately place the nested region  where you want it when you insert it into a different drawing.

#6 Brendan Smythe

Brendan Smythe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:26 AM

Is the "Nest" command something we can now use for our site plans to insert the footprint?

#7 Todd Williard

Todd Williard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 12:02 PM

Has anyone done a tutorial with pictures yet?

V11-V2024

#8 Michael Collazo

Michael Collazo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 03:05 PM

Is the "Nest" command something we can now use for our site plans to insert the footprint?

We need one. I can't position my Nest the way I would like them. I struggle with them. This is a game changer for Softplan if we can make them user friendly.

Michael A Collazo

Planmark Design Studio, LLC

Tampa, Florida

http://planmarkstudio.com

info@planmarkstudio.com

#9 John Jones

John Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 12:42 PM

One video for standard notes and details and one for multi family.

https://youtu.be/onoVSgSOFzI

https://youtu.be/1mKAzG13xTU

• Dennis Asher likes this

#10 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 11 June 2021 - 06:11 PM

Good timing for me... :) ... starting a Multi-Family residential project next week..

• John Jones likes this

#11 Dennis Asher

Dennis Asher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWillow Springs, Missouri

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:11 AM

I work with another user on jobs and the softplan file is stored in Dropbox and we each access it remotely.  If I nest a detail drawing from a source file on my computer, will the other user still be able to see it?

#12 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 15 June 2021 - 09:46 AM

I work with another user on jobs and the softplan file is stored in Dropbox and we each access it remotely.  If I nest a detail drawing from a source file on my computer, will the other user still be able to see it?

Good morning Dennis,  Curious why you don't use the SoftPlan built in function to share jobs with other users?

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#13 Dennis Asher

Dennis Asher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWillow Springs, Missouri

Posted 15 June 2021 - 05:16 PM

Good morning Dennis,  Curious why you don't use the SoftPlan built in function to share jobs with other users?

Hi David, We always store other documents in the job folder such as truss details beam calcs and heat calcs.  Those folders don't upload to the softplan cloud.

• Mark Petri likes this

#14 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 15 June 2021 - 05:25 PM

That's what we do to. I also back a lot up to the cloud (second measure of safety), but no longer share that way.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#15 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 15 June 2021 - 10:33 PM

Hi David, We always store other documents in the job folder such as truss details beam calcs and heat calcs.  Those folders don't upload to the softplan cloud.

Have you tried opening a few new drawings in the project and save all your other documents, details, etc. on the new drawing sheets? Then you can have those details, etc. migrate automatically into your plan set template.
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users