Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:54 PM

Importing Sketchup Objects: Tutorial:

NOTE: You don't need to have Sketchup installed for Softplan to work with Sketchup objects.

Some steps - like personal preferences of where to file objects - are obviously optional ... Make your own mind up about these.

First of all, go to Sketchup's 3D Warehouse, and download any object that you wish .... For this example I'm using a Kindred KSDCLU9 sink.

I normally file all my Sketchup downloads in a folder called "Sketchup Downloads" that way I don't have to search all over for them for them.

In Softplan open a new project and open the 3D tab.

Go to FILE > SYSTEM OPTIONS > SYSTEM LIBRARY ... Change Library to SYMBOLS

Now add a library called 3D ... (it helps if you can find these things again) ... and make it active.

Now click the WIZARD button, to Open the Symbol Configure Wizard and give your Symbol a name. Click NEXT.

2015.07.26_11h08m38s_001.png

Is the plan view symbol you want to add to the library on screen? Choose the NO radio button. Click NEXT. Sometimes you may want to link the 3D to a specific layout that you have on the screen, and if you can, it's probably better for you, than the one that Softplan will GENERATE later, in which case, choose the YES radio button. Click NEXT and TRACE (draw a select box round the symbol on the screen).

Click IMPORT 3D SYMBOL and navigate to the model file that you downloaded. Under Add to library, I always add them to a Library called KEITH, again that way they are always in the same place.

2015.07.26_11h21m16s_002.png

And now you should have a 3D of your chosen model in the 3D window ... spin this around and view all sides, top and bottom to make sure this is suitable for your needs. Click NEXT.

2015.07.26_11h24m04s_003.png

Please verify that the views are correct. NOW in my experience, typically they are not. So choose NO - Bear in mind How you draw Softplan symbols (typically from the back to front), and click NEXT.

Adjust to suit ... REMEMBER, you can always use the back button if something looks wrong.

Set the TEXTURES for the symbols layers. Sketchup symbols come in a variety of layers. Some with one or two some with hundreds. There are pluses and minuses each way. Once you have the textures as you like them. Click NEXT. It's better to spend a little time adjusting textures here, than it is trying to fine tune them every time you use them. Although you can always change the colours in your drawings locally anyway. You just don't want to edit too many.

Set dimensions, they are normally correct, but sometimes can be many factors out. Click NEXT.

Set options as necessary. Click NEXT.

If you didn't have a 2D symbol earlier, you will be presented with a Generate screen. Click GENERATE. As you can see from the generated 2D, this is one of those times that may have better to have had a 2D symbol on the screen to trace first.

2015.07.26_11h48m03s_005.png

Click NEXT: Click FINISH

You now have a 2D Softplan symbol in your 3D symbol Folder that you can use on your drawings, that is automatically linked to a 3D model in your 3D's.
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#2 brian praye

brian praye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:56 AM

Importing Sketchup Objects: Tutorial:

NOTE: You don't need to have Sketchup installed for Softplan to work with Sketchup objects.

Some steps - like personal preferences of where to file objects - are obviously optional ... Make your own mind up about these.

First of all, go to Sketchup's 3D Warehouse, and download any object that you wish .... For this example I'm using a Kindred KSDCLU9 sink.

Go to https://3dwarehouse.....com/index.html and find your model

I normally file all my Sketchup downloads in a folder called "Sketchup Downloads" that way I don't have to search all over for them for them.

In Softplan open a new project and open the 3D tab.

Go to FILE > SYSTEM OPTIONS > SYSTEM LIBRARY ... Change Library to SYMBOLS 

Now add a library called 3D ... (it helps if you can find these things again) ... and make it active.

Now click the WIZARD button, to Open the Symbol Configure Wizard and give your Symbol a name. Click NEXT.

Is the plan view symbol you want to add to the library on screen? Choose the NO radio button. Click NEXT. Sometimes you may want to link the 3D to a specific layout that you have on the screen, and if you can, it's probably better for you, than the one that Softplan will GENERATE later, in which case, choose the YES radio button. Click NEXT and TRACE (draw a select box round the symbol on the screen).

Click IMPORT 3D SYMBOL and navigate to the model file that you downloaded. Under Add to library, I always add them to a Library called KEITH, again that way they are always in the same place.

And now you should have a 3D of your chosen model in the 3D window ... spin this around and view all sides, top and bottom to make sure this is suitable for your needs. Click NEXT.

Please verify that the views are correct. NOW in my experience, typically they are not. So choose NO - Bear in mind How you draw Softplan symbols (typically from the back to front), and click NEXT.

Adjust to suit ... REMEMBER, you can always use the back button if something looks wrong.

Set the TEXTURES for the symbols layers. Sketchup symbols come in a variety of layers. Some with one or two some with hundreds. There are pluses and minuses each way. Once you have the textures as you like them. Click NEXT. It's better to spend a little time adjusting textures here, than it is trying to fine tune them every time you use them. Although you can always change the colours in your drawings locally anyway. You just don't want to edit too many.

Set dimensions, they are normally correct, but sometimes can be many factors out. Click NEXT.

Set options as necessary. Click NEXT.

If you didn't have a 2D symbol earlier, you will be presented with a Generate screen. Click GENERATE. As you can see from the generated 2D, this is one of those times that may have better to have had a 2D symbol on the screen to trace first.

Click NEXT: Click FINISH

You now have a 2D Softplan symbol in your 3D symbol Folder that you can use on your drawings, that is automatically linked to a 3D model in your 3D's.

Hey Keith, re tutorial. I think that there may be some significant differences in v14 procedure, so I have a few questions.  "Go to warehouse and download object", and then "Go to warehouse and find model".  Two separate actions?

The downloads come in a zipped folder containing jpegs for texture, and a file called "model.dae" for each one. How and where do I move those files from downloads in windows into softplan?  Do I put the dae file in a 3d symbol folder, and wouldn't it have to be renamed since every download has a file called model.dae?  It actually looks like you leave them on your hard drive in windows until you import them in wizard, correct?

And how/when/where do I put the jpeg files for texture?  Again, I hope v14 is up to the task.

Thanks for your help,

brian

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:29 PM

No, not two separate actions, just one find your model should be good. I've edited the original post accordingly.

Put the models in a folder on your hard drive created for the purpose. I would use a special sub-folder inside the c:\softplan\ folder so you can get to it easily and always know where it is. My preference would be a folder called "Downloads", and then create a dedicated sub folder for every model - they don't need to be renamed that way. You can then unzip the download into the dedicated sub-folder, and the model and all the textures stay together in one place.

Not sure that I can tell you much more, as I don't remember any specifics about V14. My best advice would be to give it a try, and if it doesn't work, then adapt your method as necessary until it does. It may seem complicated, but once you get one to work, and you've got the hang of the various steps, it should feel a lot easier. Try one. If you get stuck and can't figure it out, then let us know what you were stuck on.

Just a observation ... There's no need to quote the post above yours in it's entirety. It just takes up space.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#4 Stefan Liede

Stefan Liede

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:49 AM

I'm still working with SP2014

SketchUP: Please Note on January 1.2017

SketchUP Version 8 file formats will no longer be available...!

for download from 3D Warehouse.

Need some 3Ds from the warehouse with SP2014 how can I

deal with this problem ?

thanks in advance

-stefan

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:54 AM

Have you tried to open newer Sketchup models in 2014?

Keith

#6 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:22 PM

If it doesn't work, you can install SketchUp Make 2017 (or earlier version if preferred but usually better to have the latest). When installed, you can go in File>3D Warehouse>Get Model. Find the 3D you want and download directly in SketchUp. Then select File>Save As and under Save as type, you can select multiple versions you can save it as including version 8.

#7 Stefan Liede

Stefan Liede

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:03 AM

Keith & Ivon thanks

the model was last modified in 2016 (eg.:    dry stone wall 03 - basalt) file from sketchup 2015

will try Yvon's suggestions

#8 Stefan Liede

Stefan Liede

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:55 AM

Yvon

...<File>Save As and under Save as type, you can select multiple versions you can save it as including version 8...>

.. that was the solution, SketchUP Version 8 downloads are OK in SP2014

• Yvon Gonthier likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sketchup, tutorial

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users