12 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Beard

Mark Beard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:44 PM

Hi all.  Exciting to see all the "help wanted" and "looking for SP user" posts recently, I hope that means everyone is staying really busy!!

Just wanted to see if anyone would share general insight on how they typically handle their first "presentation" of work to clients when designing a custom home.  In other words, how far and/or polished have you gotten your overall design when you show clients your "first draft"?  Do you ever get feedback on the 1st floor before moving upstairs and/or roof?  Or do you come in with a full house modeled (roof and exterior more or less).  I know this might vary wildly depending on how much info the client may or may not have provided up front and the complexity of the home.

For us, we typically have a fairly well built model of the whole house (more or less) to show overall massing, with fully dimensioned floor plans for our Conceptual Review.  Sometimes, we may include an annotated front elevation to show heights, but have found better detailed 3D views typically capture (and keep) the client's attention.  However, I often wonder if we spend too much time modeling on the front end, even though I know that is the huge benefit of SP before we create any detailed working drawings.

Hope this makes sense!  Just curious.

Thanks,       

Mark

Mark Beard

LifeStage Home Designs
Office: 919.630.1224

Your future is in our plans

#2 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:28 AM

Preliminary draft.  Roof plan, foundation (shell only), FF, SF, Site, renderings.  I do that 90% of the time....

At that point the model is built...and its just easy (typically) touch ups from there.

I use zoom now for all my virtual meetings.  Lately (with builder accounts) i will do a quick zoom call and we will look at the model.  in L or SP.  that  has helped a ton with those little things.

#3 Doug Stephenson

Doug Stephenson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationWinchester, Kentucky

Posted 04 March 2021 - 09:20 AM

Good morning.

It is best for me to verify the first floor layout with all openings.

If foot print is revised, then I'm not creating more work for myself.

After that then elevations.

3d has caused more headaches than benefits due time involved. (change this color etc..)

All are bare minimum without required notes.

Doug

• Richard Rubinski likes this

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:12 AM

We start with a floor layout without exterior openings. Once the layout is somewhat agreed, then we add openings and provide 3D renders. We don't give any elevations as such until we do the construction drawings.

• Mike Adams likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Heath Foster

Heath Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:05 PM

I do a room layout that shows room names and room sizes, sq ft, usually first floor only. Then make changes send updated room layout including upstairs. Once that is finalized I send the 3d model. Make any changes to the model and when it is finalized I do the finished plan set with elevations, floor plans, foundation, etc.

I explain the steps in the initial meeting and show them examples so they know what to expect.

#6 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:34 PM

There might be some helpful information in this video

https://youtu.be/vlLvi2q5M3w

• Mike Adams likes this
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#7 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:55 PM

Dang man!...I was rolling watching that video, reminded me of me, so glad i dont draw for the man anymore....Thanks for sharing!

• David Zawadzki likes this

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#8 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:02 PM

There might be some helpful information in this video

https://youtu.be/vlLvi2q5M3w

I needed that.  Thanks for sharing.  

#9 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 04 March 2021 - 09:04 PM

So true and funny!

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#10 Brian Berzinskis

Brian Berzinskis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:20 PM

At the first meetings I usually present the floor plans and a front elevation. The floor plans have all the room sizes and the overall square footage of each floor. I usually do show openings for clarity but I place them where I think and I tell the home owner that it is not important to go over the size of the openings quite yet. The front elevation is just to give them the idea of the curb appeal and get them to start talking about what they would like the exterior to look like. Also I tend to overlay my footprint on their survey to give them an idea of how it sits on the property and sometimes print the footprint on a separate transparency for the meeting so that they can move it around on the lot. Just to get them to start thinking about the connection to the exterior.
  • Steven Wohlgemuth likes this

#11 Mark Beard

Mark Beard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 09:25 AM

Thank you all for sharing.  Nice to hear how others handle different phases.

Mark Beard

LifeStage Home Designs
Office: 919.630.1224

Your future is in our plans

#12 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, Ks

Posted 10 March 2021 - 09:28 AM

OMG....truer words were never spoken....spot on...but...after 50 plus years of building, I still find myself driving by projects that I help construct ....and I have lived long enough that some have been demolished and something newer built....ouch...getting old is very easy and mostly fun.....but.....being old is neither....thus I continue to develop my hobby and hope to never BE old....a new project still gets my creatitive blood flowing....this business has sure seen a lot of changes....from using a thumb nail to make "hidden" contol lines for text on vellum....to a life like 3d video....it has been on hell'va of a great trip...

Buddy

Harlon G. " Buddy " Suttle
casekc49@gmail.com
CELL: 913-339-6242

#13 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 10 March 2021 - 09:55 AM

Here is what I have right from my design agreement:

SCHEMATIC DESIGN

Based upon the mutually agreed upon program and layout established in the Initial Meeting, the Designer shall prepare a set of schematic design documents for review by the owner.  These documents shall include basic floor plans and a front elevation, as well as any specific information requested by the owner and agreed to by Designer in the Initial Meeting.  These are usually hand drawings showing overall layout, room sizes and adjacencies.

Additional schematic designs requested by the owner will be billed on an hourly basis as Additional Services per Article 6.

DESIGN DEVELOPMENT PHASES

The owner and Designer will review the drawings and discuss changes, options, questions or general concerns they may have regarding the design. The Designer will then prepare a set of CAD documents showing the modified floor plans, elevations and electrical layouts.

Additional design revisions requested by the owner will be billed on an hourly basis as Additional Services per Article 6.

CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS
Based on the approved Design Development Documents the designer shall prepare the final construction documents consisting of a complete set of the following documents, floor plans, all elevations, typical details and sections, foundation plans, electrical layouts, framing plans, and roof plans in a PDF file(s).

Upon final approval of the design the production of the plans shall take approximately 30 business days to complete.

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users