• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Schauman

Matthew Schauman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:24 AM

I am attempting to create a roof plan for this home. I have the exterior model completed. I have included the softplan drawing and a example of a roof plan i currently have completed in Visual Cad. I am in the process of converting over to Softplan. I am doing the floor plans in Visual Cad and doing the exteriors in Softplan. Softplan make the exterior view easy when the garages are on a angle. I am having to problem creating a roof plan in Softplan so I am asking for help. What is process to create one. :)

First time posting a plan so i hope i got it right.

Attached Files

Martin Wrobel

Freeland, MI

Surface Pro 3

Softplan Version 2016

Visual Cadd 

Strucalc 9.0

Sketchup Pro 2015

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:27 AM

Once you have all your walls stacked correctly, go into roof mode, and DRAW > MULTIPLE FLOOR ROOF, and open the lower floor plan. Then go to DRAW > ROOF OPTIONS, and set the roof options to suit MOST of the common area's. Then click auto roof. Auto roof normally does a reasonable job to start with. Then use edge edit to change the pitches of the roofs (and add gable ends) as applicable. Depending on how lucky you are, there may be few area's that didn't work correctly.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Matthew Schauman

Matthew Schauman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:49 AM

Keith

I have the roof designed. I just need to turn it into a plan. See my attached example PDF. 

Thanks

Martin Wrobel

Freeland, MI

Surface Pro 3

Softplan Version 2016

Visual Cadd 

Strucalc 9.0

Sketchup Pro 2015

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:15 AM

Martin, I understand that, and have looked at the plan. I would still use auto-roof and edit the output to match what you have designed. AUTO ROOF will put a working roof on the structure. You then tweak it to suit your wants/needs, It's not that easy just "to turn it into a plan". If you start trying to draw every roof separately, I can guarantee that you will be digging a hole you can't get out of.

Typically auto roof will put a working cottage roof with a single pitch on the structure. As I said earlier, you will then use edge edit to change the pitches of the roofs (and add gable ends) as applicable

Try auto roof and if it doesn't work, let us see the result and we'll advice on further action.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#5 Matthew Schauman

Matthew Schauman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:15 PM

Keith

I got the results I was looking for using the (TOP) Elevation View than saving that to a softplan drawing. I had to make a few lines missing and added a overlay of the first floor walls. See attached PDF.

I do also try to do a auto roof first. On this plan i could not get it corrected the way I wanted it so i did it manually in pieces. Some plans work great with auto roof and some not.

Thanks for the reply's. I find this forum very useful. 

Attached Files

Martin Wrobel

Freeland, MI

Surface Pro 3

Softplan Version 2016

Visual Cadd 

Strucalc 9.0

Sketchup Pro 2015

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:50 PM

....I had to make a few lines missing and added a overlay of the first floor walls .....

Martin, are you ignoring the 3D model, and just drawing a plan anyway you can? When you said "doing the exteriors in Softplan", did you mean just drawing the elevations? I understood you to be creating a full 3D model.

Keith

#7 Matthew Schauman

Matthew Schauman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:15 PM

Keith

I don't think I am ignoring the 3D Model. Right now i am producing the exterior model for the client to view and then producing the 4 exterior drawings. 

I am still learning the software. Started with 2012 and taken the online webinar training classes. I am not producing the complete floor plans in Softplan yet but hope to start completing them in softplan.

Martin Wrobel

Freeland, MI

Surface Pro 3

Softplan Version 2016

Visual Cadd 

Strucalc 9.0

Sketchup Pro 2015

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:34 PM

I got the results I was looking for using the (TOP) Elevation View than saving that to a softplan drawing. I had to make a few lines missing and added a overlay of the first floor walls

I'm confused ... How are you creating the exterior model if you are doing the roof by this method. To create the exterior model, you have to add the roof in roof mode as I described earlier.

Keith

#9 Matthew Schauman

Matthew Schauman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:37 PM

Keith

Did I post the Softplan drawing correctly? Maybe you are missing some information? 

Martin Wrobel

Freeland, MI

Surface Pro 3

Softplan Version 2016

Visual Cadd 

Strucalc 9.0

Sketchup Pro 2015

#10 Matthew Schauman

Matthew Schauman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:59 PM

Keith

Sorry about confusing you. The roof plan i am looking for is for part of the construction documents.

Martin Wrobel

Freeland, MI

Surface Pro 3

Softplan Version 2016

Visual Cadd 

Strucalc 9.0

Sketchup Pro 2015

#11 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:24 PM

Okay, I hadn't opened the original construction drawings, I assumed (I know ASS), that you needed to construct the roof. Silly me!

Not confused anymore!

Lets go back to post #1 .... 

For future reference (and for anyone following this thread), to draw the roof outline, go to OPTIONS > VISIBLE ITEMS - MODE VISIBILITIES - DRAWING - GROUP VISIBILITIES - ROOF and check ROOF OUTLINE. Then you can just simply trace from point to point with SNAP enabled. Or you can check ROOF OUTLINE DASHED, and leave it active in drawing mode.

Keith

#12 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:28 PM

I understand what you are looking for Martin, The method you posted is the way that I do it.  I save my floor plan as a roof plan, then delete everything out of the floor plan that I want.  Then I go to the elevation view and click the center camera to show the roof from the top.  I then do a save as and call it roof lines.  I then open my roof plan (which is my cleaned up floor plan)  and use the merge command to merge the roof lines on top of the floor plan.  I then clean up the roof lines, add notes, text etc.. as needed to create the final roof plan construction document.  You can go one step further and save a template "roof plan"  In that template you can set the wall defintions to have a lighter lineweight, grayed out, etc... Now when you merge those lines on top of the floor plan the floor plan fades to the back a bit and that leaves the roof lines easier to distinguish.  I will try to find an old thread I did years ago about this process.

#13 D M

D M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Location..

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:28 PM

Perhaps you're looking for 'Birdseye', ??

.. assuming you've created a roof on your model

In Roof Mode, select 'Birdseye', .. then 'save as' .. 'Roof Outline', .. or whatever you prefer.

Save a copy of your floor as 'Roof Layout' (or again, whatever suits you) .. exterior walls and bearing walls only is usual, ..

Create a common point of reference on each of the above, .. copy the 'Roof Outline' to Softplan Clipboard, .. and paste from clipboard (into 'Roof Layout') using hold position.

.. invariably, someone will have a simpler solution.

#14 D M

D M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Location..

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:30 PM

It's amazing how many posts get on here between the time you think about responding and the time you hit 'post' ;)

.. invariably, someone will have a simpler solution.

#15 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:33 PM

Yes, birdseye will give you essentially the same result as the center camera I believe.  On a sad note I tried to search in the archives for an old thread where I really worked out the lineweights etc.. for creating a roof plan and can't search the archives.  That is disappointing seeing as how their was a ton of good information in there.

#16 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:56 PM

Brad, there is a workaround to searching the archives ... See this post by Brian Berzinskis

Keith

#17 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:00 PM

You can also CREATE a Roof Mode to show/hide everything you want from one of the Custom Visibility Modes.

Keith

#18 Keith Owens

Keith Owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:24 PM

Birdseye is probably the easiest to produce this, and the intent when it was added to the software (I know it's the same as clicking the "top" button). If you have "include walls" checked under generate drawing in roof options, your walls will show when you save it as a drawing file.

Roof Layout.jpg

#19 Matthew Schauman

Matthew Schauman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:12 AM

The birdseye view did work the easiest. I checked the "Generate drawing include walls". That did the trick.

Thanks all of you for the help.

Martin Wrobel

Freeland, MI

Surface Pro 3

Softplan Version 2016

Visual Cadd 

Strucalc 9.0

Sketchup Pro 2015

#20 John Jones

John Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 251 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:29 AM

Please be aware that Roof Outline and Roof Outline Dashed can be turned on via Visible Items.

Attached Thumbnails

• Roof Outline.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users