multi drawing in 2022

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RDJ299@AOL.COM_*

Guest_RDJ299@AOL.COM_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2021 - 12:11 PM

ANYONE HAVING TROUBLE WITH MULTIDRAWINGS NOT HOLDING THEIR POSITION ON DRAWINGS ONCE YOU LEAVE SOFTPLAN 2022 AND THEN RENTER THE PROGRAM

#2 Guest_Floyd Cornett_*

Guest_Floyd Cornett_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2021 - 06:57 AM

Wow I too have the same issue with 2022. Send it to printer and ya never know what is going to come out. Border goes one way and drawing go the other way and multi drawings get overlaped. Any Luck getting help???

#3 John Jones

John Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 251 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 07:24 AM

Have either of you reached out to technical support?

#4 Guest_RDJ299@AOL.COM_*

Guest_RDJ299@AOL.COM_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:43 AM

YES...THEY SAY THEY CAN'T PRODUCE THE SAME PROBLEM BUT TRUST ME IT IS THERE!

#5 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 07:02 PM

Hopefully this isn't a major issue and if a real problem, is fixed with a patch quickly.  I have never been able to make plansets work correctly no matter how many times I try so I keep working with multi drawings and will continue to do so.  

#6 James Holley

James Holley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis Metro, Indiana

Posted 12 April 2021 - 12:05 PM

The multi draw drawing position is whacked, as well as the align drawing function within multi draw. The one detail on the left was almost aligned with the right, but then I hit clean up!
I'm seeing the HUGE thick red dashed line flashing on my screen when I try the align as well, like it's trying to attache to a huge drawing elsewhere.Attached File  Screenshot (130).png   191.88KB   2 downloads

James L. Holley

SoftPlan user since 1993

"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence

#7 James Holley

James Holley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 12:37 PM

Please look at the difference between what I see on screen, vs. what prints when saved with your pdf batch print thru review

On screen is totally different than off

Attached File  Screenshot (133).png   208.93KB   3 downloads

Attached File  SHEET 2.pdf   839.94KB   11 downloads

Attached File  SHEET 2.jpg   93.17KB   0 downloads

James L. Holley

SoftPlan user since 1993

"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence

#8 James Holley

James Holley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 12:41 PM

Hopefully this isn't a major issue and if a real problem, is fixed with a patch quickly.  I have never been able to make plansets work correctly no matter how many times I try so I keep working with multi drawings and will continue to do so.  

I'm with you and I DO know how to do plan sets, BUT every drawing we do must be able to (if at all possible) fit at 1/8 scale on 11x17, so then I was going to have to make a SECOND plan set for the 1/4 scale sets needed.
I can do this in half the time the way I have for over 20 years, multi-drawings. I loved the alignment tool as well, but it doesn't come close to working properly.
I'm sitting with a pissed builder willing to take a crappy unaligned plan with stuff all over and out of place just to get his drawing, so at this point, it SEEMS TO ME a major issue!

@brent, anyone, some help please and thanks

James L. Holley

SoftPlan user since 1993

#9 Chris Proost

Chris Proost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:14 PM

I was having the same issue during the 2022 Beta version. I would've assumed they would have fixed it before the final release. I haven't tried it yet on the full version of 2022.

#10 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:23 PM

20 yr multi draw user here.
I went to plan sets several years ago and will never go back.
1/4 scale, 1/8 scale and paper size does not matter.

Plan set templates is the key. Literally one right click of the mouse and your done. Drawing for 18 different builders across the US and each one is different. I have a different template for each. It is a HUGE time saver.

Plan sets is the greatest upgrade Softplan has ever released in my opinion. I was stubborn in the beginning myself, but it is worth it.

Hopefully support will help correct your multi draw issue soon. In the meantime I urge you to try plan sets again. Even if it’s only one page at a time.
  • Michael Landry, James Holley, Allen McDonnell and 2 others like this

#11 James Holley

James Holley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 04:38 AM

Plan set templates is the key. Literally one right click of the mouse and your done. Drawing for 18 different builders across the US and each one is different. I have a different template for each. It is a HUGE time saver.

Plan sets is the greatest upgrade Softplan has ever released in my opinion. I was stubborn in the beginning myself, but it is worth it.

Hopefully support will help correct your multi draw issue soon. In the meantime I urge you to try plan sets again. Even if it’s only one page at a time.

Please help me then, as the scaling is my issue. We do "almost everything that fits" on 11x17 at 1/8 scale, I did a plan set on this particular project while I had time, so once I finished set 1, I can not find any way to scale it up or down, in this case up to be 1/4 on ARCH D size. The quantity of builders was also an issue, but easily fixed.

I could really use a tip on doing 1 plan set and being able to batch print it at the different needed scales. I ALWAYS use @scale, so I don't know if this is a problem or what, but if I could figure out how to do what you just said it would with a few mouse clicks and I'm in. Even one of the Tech Support guys said I would need 2 totally different plan sets, name say 1 and 2, 1 for 1/8 and 2 for 1/4.

Please oh PLEASE point me in a direction so I can find out how to do it properly. I'm just like you, I really liked them set that way, but due to lack of knowledge and proper tech help (maybe), I am still in "MULTI DRAW MODE"
I'd rather the plan sets.

Thanks!

James L. Holley

SoftPlan user since 1993

#12 James Holley

James Holley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:20 AM

UPDATED everything, even the newest 2022 patch, STILL issues with multidraw, and drawings moving.

And the "align drawing feature" works when it wants.

James L. Holley

SoftPlan user since 1993

#13 Clint Hiebert

Clint Hiebert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:12 AM

UPDATED everything, even the newest 2022 patch, STILL issues with multidraw, and drawings moving.

And the "align drawing feature" works when it wants.

Yep same here. Once you try and set whatever drawing you're putting into multi, it jumps and it seems totally random. Took me nearly a dozen tries to line up a page to print.

• James Holley likes this

#14 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:05 AM

Please help me then, as the scaling is my issue. We do "almost everything that fits" on 11x17 at 1/8 scale, I did a plan set on this particular project while I had time, so once I finished set 1, I can not find any way to scale it up or down, in this case up to be 1/4 on ARCH D size. The quantity of builders was also an issue, but easily fixed.

I could really use a tip on doing 1 plan set and being able to batch print it at the different needed scales. I ALWAYS use @scale, so I don't know if this is a problem or what, but if I could figure out how to do what you just said it would with a few mouse clicks and I'm in. Even one of the Tech Support guys said I would need 2 totally different plan sets, name say 1 and 2, 1 for 1/8 and 2 for 1/4.

Please oh PLEASE point me in a direction so I can find out how to do it properly. I'm just like you, I really liked them set that way, but due to lack of knowledge and proper tech help (maybe), I am still in "MULTI DRAW MODE"

Thanks!

James, I think the easiest way to make plan sets work for you is to use the Plan Set Template feature.

This will eliminate the need to recreate a new plan set from scratch.

If I understand your post properly you have finished your plan set at 1/8" scale on 11 x 17 and then need 1/4" scale on 24 x 36.

I would take the 1/8" scale plan set and do a save as template.

Label this template as your job name.

Then create a new plan set and select the radio button for template and load that template.

You will then be able to change the title block and the page size for the new plan set.

The drawings will be populated on the pages and you can edit each and change the scale to 1/4".

Relocate as needed.

FYI, I love plan sets and could not imagine having to wrestle with multi-drawings again.

I hope this works for you !

• John Jones likes this

#15 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:12 PM

Thanks!

Hey James-
They are correct. It does take (2) plan sets to accomplish. Again, the template(s) is the key.
Set one at 1/8” scale 11X17 and the other at 1/4” scale arch D paper.
Once the templates are set, you are good to go every time.......

And let’s say you have a project with (2) plan sets or more......and you need to just copy the job and reuse the plan. You can copy the project and it will carry over all of the plan sets generated within the project.

Also-
Another key thing that must be done in plan sets is the naming of each drawing. For it to work as intended the drawings must be named the exact same way each and every time. There is a way to “choose” each drawing, but it takes and extra minute or so.

It does take a little work upfront to create the templates, but once they are done, you’re good to go. I also like being able to “check” the plan as it looks printed in black and white. It is much easier to spot errors/items to be cleaned up versus looking at the color screen.

I’m available to chat tomorrow if you need help. 229-224-0410.

#16 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:24 PM

Even without TEMPLATES, creating a whole host of different title blocks at different sizes and orientation, then dragging in suitable drawings and editing the scale is still easier (IMO) than creating Multi-drawings.

Just as an FYI there's NOTHING stopping you experimenting and using both Multi-drawings AND Plansets for the same job ...

In my opinion, the TITLE BLOCKS are more important than the TEMPLATES, as you can easily create 11" x 17" title blocks 18" x 24" title blocks and ARCH D title Blocks within the same PROJECT. they just can't be in the same planset, But you can always print more than one planset for each project.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#17 James Holley

James Holley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:14 AM

James, I think the easiest way to make plan sets work for you is to use the Plan Set Template feature.

This will eliminate the need to recreate a new plan set from scratch.

If I understand your post properly you have finished your plan set at 1/8" scale on 11 x 17 and then need 1/4" scale on 24 x 36.

I would take the 1/8" scale plan set and do a save as template.

Label this template as your job name.

Then create a new plan set and select the radio button for template and load that template.

You will then be able to change the title block and the page size for the new plan set.

The drawings will be populated on the pages and you can edit each and change the scale to 1/4".

Relocate as needed.

FYI, I love plan sets and could not imagine having to wrestle with multi-drawings again.

I hope this works for you !

So Steve, you mentioned "saving the job as a template".

I have 2 main template sheets, then one specific to an architecture firm I draft and engineer all their plans (all they do is hand drawn) which brings me to the "saving a job" as several (like a dozen or more) are 15,000SF and can be as many as 15 pages once all the sections/details are added.
Are you saying to save all those pages? Then do the new set as 1/4 and move the same drawings around the pages to fit more proper like the 1/8 scale set? Ok, If this is the case, would those "whole job" templates be able to be used on other projects? I know the naming is important and after 35 years or more, my stuff is pretty consistent, but if I DID use this on another job as that jobs template, it won't still try and populate drawings from the original would it?
All my "sheet templates are named 11x17 xxxxxx," as I don't enlarge my drawing area to put on 1/4 scale, it just has a larger margin to border. it IS name that way since I do a lot of drawings that are 1 sheet size larger, these have a different or page size name, like 1-8 size C and 1/4 size E.

So, I have a "page template", I name the plan set page name and insert the title block and drawings in it. I'm a little confused on saving a "job template". Will it basically have all the same number of pages? So say I have 11 sheets, would the next job I did and used that template on ALSO have 11 pages? This is the area I am confused on.

Here is the page list of my 1st job in plan sets.

Here is a screen shot of my first full plan try and you can see I do have a "planset 2" which was where I started to do the larger, but got discouraged trying to make sure all pages matched all drawings for both scales.

Attached File  Screenshot (135).png   375.92KB   0 downloads

James L. Holley

SoftPlan user since 1993

#18 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 02:02 PM

James, if you save your plan set as a "template" all the pages and page content are saved as well as the sheet size and margin information.

If you then made a new plan set and loaded it it will basically be a duplicate of the original.

You can then change the sheet size and margin and all the sheets will be changed.

It is an easy task to edit the drawings and change the scale as needed and move them to suit your new sheet sizes.

The key to plan set templates is that all drawings labeled the same will be automatically populated.

If you are consistent in your drawing labeling then you are well on your way to making this work.

#19 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:53 PM

Ditto what Steve said.

Also-
It’s better to think of the Templates as a “customer” template , not a “job” template.

I have 18 builders.

Builder #1 is: “Builder Template 1”
Builder #2 is: “Builder Template 2”
And so forth.....

When a job comes in for that builder, Create a new project. Copy all files(drawings) associated with that builder to the project folder.

Once the floor plans, etc are created/done, generate the Plan Set and choose that builders template.

#20 Brendan Smythe

Brendan Smythe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 19 April 2021 - 10:59 AM

We have the same issue going on with Multi-Drawing moving the text and other items not lining up. It looks like Softplan had another patch this morning, version 2022-2-3B. Does anyone know if this issue was solved??

We will be moving to Plan set eventually, but we would much rather have the existing Multi-Drawings work correctly. Then move to Plan sets on our own time..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users