15 replies to this topic

#1 Leroy Tuininga

Leroy Tuininga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 10:22 AM

Good morning!

I am having a tough time creating walls that accurately show how we are trying to build walls for passive homes. We are one of the first builders in this area to attempt building in this manner and I don't know anybody local that can help me with this.

Starting from the exterior it would be as follows,

Aluminum siding

3/4" rain screen

1/2" BP Excel

Vertical TJI's @ 24" O.C. C/W R-38.5 Blown in insulation

Intello plus vapor barrier

1/2" LDF

2x6 Framed wall @ 16" O.C. C/W R-12 fiberglass batts kept to the outside

1/2" gypsum wall board

The biggest issue I am running into is the vertical TJI's on the outside. There is a wood-I in the wall definitions but it shows a view of the end and not the side. Does anybody know a way to modify this to make it show correctly in my cross sections?

Thank you in advance,

Leroy

#2 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, Ks

Posted 21 April 2021 - 10:48 AM

Back in the dark ages, we would Poch'e the area and then detail the area of the Poch'e....so, in the wall def...develop the same and then a detail...easy peasy....and in the wall schedule the poch'e would be defined....wall type XYZ....and the specs etc....still works and makes life easy....

Harlon G. " Buddy " Suttle
casekc49@gmail.com
CELL: 913-339-6242

#3 Leroy Tuininga

Leroy Tuininga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 11:28 AM

Back in the dark ages, we would Poch'e the area and then detail the area of the Poch'e....so, in the wall def...develop the same and then a detail...easy peasy....and in the wall schedule the poch'e would be defined....wall type XYZ....and the specs etc....still works and makes life easy....

Pardon my ignorance but what does Poch'e mean?

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 April 2021 - 11:51 AM

I think the WOOD-I in the definitions is a mistake on Softplans behalf ... Nothing in a wall definition should show in that orietation

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Leroy Tuininga

Leroy Tuininga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:09 PM

I think the WOOD-I in the definitions is a mistake on Softplans behalf ... Nothing in a wall definition should show in that orietation

i would agree with this. I like the availability of it for what i am trying to do but the orientation is definitely skewed.

#6 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:30 PM

Poch'e....in Architectural design/drafting is to fill an area as in "cross hatch". ....lol...you young whipper snappers missed all the fun, excitement and craftsmanship of Architectural drawing/drafting....as the man said " I can feel for ya, ....but I can not quite reach ya"....LOL....see being old is such great fun...Lol....
  • Mark Petri likes this

casekc49@gmail.com

#7 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:09 PM

Why not use profiles and orient them vertical for anything like the wood I-beams?

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#8 Leroy Tuininga

Leroy Tuininga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:15 PM

Poch'e....in Architectural design/drafting is to fill an area as in "cross hatch". ....lol...you young whipper snappers missed all the fun, excitement and craftsmanship of Architectural drawing/drafting....as the man said " I can feel for ya, ....but I can not quite reach ya"....LOL....see being old is such great fun...Lol....

Haha. I understand now. Thank you for the education.

• rick hoge likes this

#9 Leroy Tuininga

Leroy Tuininga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:15 PM

Why not use profiles and orient them vertical for anything like the wood I-beams?

Are you suggesting to use profiles in my cross section to achieve what i want to?

#10 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:41 PM

Do a forum search that a long ago SP expert did on SP profiles...Randy Cohn was simply amazing at how to think outside the box when developing something in SP...RIP Randy you are sorely missed...
  • Jack Carson, Vince Caron, Rick Kingsbury and 2 others like this

casekc49@gmail.com

#11 Leroy Tuininga

Leroy Tuininga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:42 PM

Do a forum search that a long ago SP expert did on SP profiles...Randy Cohn was simply amazing at how to think outside the box when developing something in SP...RIP Randy you are sorely missed...

I will do that. Thank you.

#12 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:49 PM

You can use them in your section, but also you can use them in your wall definition. Look into it and set up the I-beams as a profile and then check the box at the very right hand side of the wall definition menu to make them vertical. Then you can space them how you want and get the section to be closer to reality. May not be perfect, but ought to be able to get it close.

• Leroy Tuininga likes this

Mark Petri

#13 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:52 PM

Now Mark, that is a great idea.....start calling you Randy Jr....

casekc49@gmail.com

#14 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 21 April 2021 - 06:02 PM

I've used vertical profiles for a few things. It helps, but does not always behave as one would want. I think the big thing is what is considered the finish and what is structure. Something to play around with though.

I spent a lot of time on the phone and sorting through ideas with Randy. I certainly miss him. He was not only a wealth of knowledge, but always very willing to help. His legacy will live on!

• Leroy Tuininga likes this

Mark Petri

#15 Gary Wicklund

Gary Wicklund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationDuncan BC Canada

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:35 AM

Good morning!

I am having a tough time creating walls that accurately show how we are trying to build walls for passive homes. We are one of the first builders in this area to attempt building in this manner and I don't know anybody local that can help me with this.

Starting from the exterior it would be as follows,

Aluminum siding

3/4" rain screen

1/2" BP Excel

Vertical TJI's @ 24" O.C. C/W R-38.5 Blown in insulation

Intello plus vapor barrier

1/2" LDF

2x6 Framed wall @ 16" O.C. C/W R-12 fiberglass batts kept to the outside

1/2" gypsum wall board

The biggest issue I am running into is the vertical TJI's on the outside. There is a wood-I in the wall definitions but it shows a view of the end and not the side. Does anybody know a way to modify this to make it show correctly in my cross sections?

Thank you in advance,

Leroy

Wow, where you building?

couple questions,

what is 1/2”LDF?

why is the r12 on the warm side of the vapor barrier?

what size of tgi to get r 38.5, 14”? Won’t it settle being vertical?

why do you need 3/4” strapping behind alum siding?why not 3/8”

sorry about the not softplan question, just curious 

#16 Leroy Tuininga

Leroy Tuininga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 11:10 AM

Wow, where you building?

couple questions,

what is 1/2”LDF?

why is the r12 on the warm side of the vapor barrier?

what size of tgi to get r 38.5, 14”? Won’t it settle being vertical?

why do you need 3/4” strapping behind alum siding?why not 3/8”

sorry about the not softplan question, just curious 

We are building in central Alberta.

LDF is a low density fiberboard, essentially a lighter version of MDF. It will be used mainly to keep cost down during construction and a slight R-value increase over OSB.

The R-12 on the warm side of the vapor barrier is for a couple reasons. As per the building code we are allowed a maximum of 1/3 of the overall insulation value to be in the warm side of the vapor barrier. The biggest reason that we went with an R-12 on the warm side in a 2x6 cavity is that it allows us to minimize penetrations through the vapor barrier, i.e. all the wiring and plumbing is run in the open cavity between the R-12 and the interior drywall.

We are using a 9.5" TJI to get the R-38.5 insulation value. They are spaced off the LDF by 1/2" to reduce thermal transfer and give us a 10" cavity for the insulation. We are using Weathershield WallBar insulation which is a dense pack blow in insulation that has an R-value of 3.8/inch.

The 3/4" rain screen is only because we had a couple lifts of 1"x3" strapping that was sold to us for a good price.

Hope that all makes sense...

• Keith Almond, Steven Wohlgemuth and Gary Wicklund like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users