Chris Robinson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationKelowna, B.C. Canada

Posted 21 April 2021 - 05:07 PM

I am pretty sure I am missing something simple here but why,

1) is the gable face and barge board not showing up on this roof. The other end of the roof is spec'd the same and it shows up there.

2) does the lower roof over the garage not want to go below the upper roof overhang?

Attached File  front 3d April 21.pdf   232.36KB   32 downloads

Attached File  roof plan.jpg   60.79KB   1 downloads

#2 Chris Robinson

Chris Robinson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 05:17 PM

Okay, I did discover why the gable end was not showing but still don't know what the lower roof won't extend to the wall. ( it did until I added the upper roof)

#3 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 21 April 2021 - 06:12 PM

Do you have a hole or something else that is cutting that lower roof? Hard to tell from what you uploaded. Is the edge set to gable or intersect? Is there an overhang on it? Does it keep cleaning up to intersect with the upper roof? Maybe uncheck clean up and make a final adjustment?

Also, wondering why you have so many roof pieces for the upper roof. I'd think you could get it in 1 or 2 roofs at most. Maybe not in 2020, but ought to be a little simpler than that. In some cases you need to trick the program with some beams or walls that do not extract in 3D or show up on plans but act as place holders for the roof lollipops. Hip and gable overhangs are not the same depth? Was that intentional? Sometimes the cut up roofs are messy in SP.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#4 Chris Robinson

Chris Robinson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 07:06 PM

Thanks for the input Mark

The roof was set to intersect so I changed it to gable which seemed to fix it but when I went back to check, it was set for intersect again. ( but the roof was still good)???

I think your right it should be simpler. I do have two different pitches and overhangs ( 6/12 and 10/12) 

Would I be right in saying that it is best to draw the lower floor roof first and then the upper?

Are roofs any simpler in 2020? I haven't upgraded yet.

#5 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 21 April 2021 - 07:17 PM

Glad you got it to clean up. May have just had to regenerate. The lower roof first is probably a good idea. May not always work best.

A lot with roofs has to do with how you use them. If you show framing and roof outlines and keep them as live drawings to use with construction documents it's one thing. If you want it just for elevations and 3D you can cut things up more without running into issues, then save as a 2D drawing and then work on that for your framing plans. It can be a whole different process of what to work at and what to let go of. If you don't need everything on one plan for roofs, sometimes breaking up and drawing first floor roofs on their floor and second floor roofs on their floor helps. Again, those stinking lollipops are needy and don't always behave. I know some folks use all sorts of adjustments to keep them out of the way (hidden beams, walls, etc.). Once you set your main pitch and get the heel heights you want, adjusting the others will automatically align eaves (if you set things right from the start). 

I think they've made some improvements in 2022. I have yet to spend tons of time working on complicated projects as I wait the rooting out of the bugs. Will see how it does, but I suspect some of the things they claim to have worked on should help.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#6 Chris Robinson

Chris Robinson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:54 PM

I think I just need practice with this. I was fairly slow at the start of the year and thought it would be a good time learn something new but things have gone crazy now so I just need to get things done the way I always have with a very old version in lines. 

Thanks again for your help. I went back and redrew the upper floor roof. I was able to do it three pieces this time.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users