#1 PAUL LADNER

PAUL LADNER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 29 April 2021 - 11:58 AM

I am bedeviled by a weird quirk in the modeling program.  I’m hoping someone has some insight that could help me fix this problem…

I’m adding an addition on to a house.  The existing house has 2x4 rafters, so I set the Roof Options to mimic the existing house.

The new addition roof has 2x8 rafters.  No problem in setting that up. And it looks fine when doing the exterior elevations – the roof cover looks right.

But in sections, the roof sheathing for the 2x8 roof situates itself in the middle of the rafter, where it would be located if the rafters had been 2x4.  I can’t figure how to get the sheathing to sit on top of the rafters correctly.  Any ideas?

BTW, I’m still using SoftPlan 2016.

Thanks for any advice.

Attached Thumbnails

• Section C TEMP for Splash.jpg

#2 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 29 April 2021 - 12:26 PM

I think you need to double check the heel height on the 2x8 rafters, then select only that roof section and regenerate it. If the heel height is the same as the smaller rafters it will be wrong (not the way it would frame). If the roof originally was set to be for the smaller rafters it may just not have regenerated and cleaned up if you went in and changed the rafter sizes on the new section without making adjustments to that whole roof section.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#3 PAUL LADNER

PAUL LADNER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 29 April 2021 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for the reply Mark.

Turns out it was a cleanup problem.  I had unchecked cleanup a while back (for some reason - I don't remember).

Re-enabling cleanup solved it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users