#1 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 30 April 2021 - 05:02 PM

Okay I've just loaded 2022 and so far, am seriously underwhelmed ... Not with what Softplan can do, I havent got that far yet, but more by what it didn't do ...

For the last few updates, I've complained about the same thing ... Am I the only person who customizes his Softplan Configuration? I backed up my 2020 System Configuration and restored it to 2022. I don't know about anyone else, but if I restore a System configuration, I don't really expect to then have to spend hours configuring it like it was on the earlier version.

1 - STYLE ... I'm a great fan of Black/Dark interfaces, and my Softplan Style has been Black as long as I can remember. Now NO STYLE setting option. Am I stuck with the light blue options? It's possible this setting has been relocated but I havent got that far yet

2.- COLOURS ... My everytime rant ... I use the standard white interface, and as such Softplans choice of colour options is terrible ... Who draws in yellow on white? So EVERY ONE of the 32 available colours is a specific colour that I've chosen to maximize the contrast with a white background. Some (like Red, Blue, Black etc.) are obviously the same, but it's an extensive chore to edit all 32 colours to a specific RGB colour. Why does it not save as part of the configuration.

3. FONTS ... I'm not a lover of the Standard Softplan fonts, so my standard fonts are COOPER BLACK, CORBEL and CALIBRI and they are Windows fonts that are resident on my system - The System Restore didn't remember/restore ANY of them. It did however substitute nearly everything with SPHAND, which is arguably the ugliest font I've ever seen!

So now I have to spend time I don't have, reconfiguring a system that been setup perfectly for me for the last 2 years ... Why doesn't BACKING UP SYSTEM CONFIGURATION do that. What did it backup?

That's all I've noticed in the first 2 minutes, but I'm sure I'll find out something else to moan about.  Then I'll find out the good stuff that it can do that i've been looking forward to.

OH yes, sorry I forgot ... Why does every new version get simpler/blander ICONS ... That I now don't recognise so it slows me down further. I don't use the RIBBON BAR as I don't like to take any more space away from the drawing area than I have to ... I can also find ICONS quicker, if every one that I want is ALWAYS in the same place on a SINGLE MENU BAR.

Does making everything look different every version actually improve ANYTHING? Useablilty, speed? 

• Allen McDonnell and John Coyle like this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 05:23 PM

It didn't remember or restore any of my print pen configurations either ... another thing to setup again.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#3 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 30 April 2021 - 05:23 PM

Ive been waiting for your take Keith.  

• Mike Adams likes this

#4 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 30 April 2021 - 06:04 PM

I like the new icons. 

• John Jones likes this

#5 Jeremy Plum

Jeremy Plum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationBishop, Ca.

Posted 30 April 2021 - 06:06 PM

I don't think I configure as extensively as you do Keith but I do have some customizations. I likewise had unacceptable results with the archive/ restore functionality. And it created a whole mess of "Restore" folders in my Softplan file directory. I ended up copy/paste from my 2020 to the same location in 2022 and the crossing my fingers. Some worked, some didn't. Now I limp along in subpar functionality until I can carve out the time to get back to where I was before the update.

On a good note, I do like the improved and new features in 2022. 

Jeremy Plum

Plum Design & Construction

#6 Jeremy Plum

Jeremy Plum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationBishop, Ca.

Posted 30 April 2021 - 06:08 PM

I like the new icons. 

Me too...now that I'm used to them. I did like the big blue circle (to do file stuff) in the 2020. The little rectangle is too discrete.

• John Jones likes this

Jeremy Plum

Plum Design & Construction

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:31 PM

Slightly off topic, but when installing 2022, I intended to let Softplan find a previous installation, and use that to configure the new version.

However, during the installation process Softplan reported that it had found Softplan 2018 and did I want to use that configuration ... or words to that effect ... but of course I didn't. I wanted to use my Softplan 2020 configuration. It didn't either find that or care about it, so having said NO to Softplan 2018, it just went ahead and loaded a Standard Version, that I had to customize after the fact.

Why did it find Softplan 2018 and NOT Softplan 2020?

Keith

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:57 PM

Of course ... Not totally unprepared ... as you can see I've had to do this before. Although I was told after the first time I did it (and complained), that it had been fixed.

Sorry I don't really want to whine, I just want this to be recorded ...

Attached File  Softplan Colours.jpg   147.04KB   4 downloads

and yes, the 96-96-96 should be white - at least I think it's that one - I'll have to check again.

Keith

#9 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 08:23 PM

I continue to wait to upgrade.  Way too busy to deal with all the issues that I'm reading about.  There should be zero need to set up all your configuration items on a new install unless there are new features that have to be configured.  I can't stop working for a full day to set up system options, load tons of custom walls, etc etc

• Mike Adams and Gary Wicklund like this

#10 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 30 April 2021 - 08:53 PM

Would it work if you loaded a project from 2020 into 2022 and save that??
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#11 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 07:30 AM

I don't know, I don't even know if it's possible to save a PROJECT CONFIGURATION as a SYSTEM CONFIGURATION but it may be worth a try. Although to be fair it really shouldn't come to that. It should already be done.

Keith

#12 Gary Wicklund

Gary Wicklund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationDuncan BC Canada

Posted 01 May 2021 - 07:54 AM

I continue to wait to upgrade.  Way too busy to deal with all the issues that I'm reading about.  There should be zero need to set up all your configuration items on a new install unless there are new features that have to be configured.  I can't stop working for a full day to set up system options, load tons of custom walls, etc etc

Does anyone know if you can be a softplan plus member but not upgrade?

I bought 2020, an upgrade from 2014, last year but i’m just getting used to 2020. A plus membership is included till the next upgrade

I like the features of the plus membership.

I’m too busy to go through another upgrade right now, especially after reading some of the growing pains with 2022. I will eventually (maybe around 2026 ish.) I’m still configuring things the way I like them on 2020

some days I wish I was still on 2014... lol

#13 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 09:20 AM

You don't have to upgrade. You just have the option to if you want to take it.

• Gary Wicklund likes this
Keith

#14 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 01 May 2021 - 10:07 AM

Slightly off topic, but when installing 2022, I intended to let Softplan find a previous installation, and use that to configure the new version.

However, during the installation process Softplan reported that it had found Softplan 2018 and did I want to use that configuration ... or words to that effect ... but of course I didn't. I wanted to use my Softplan 2020 configuration. It didn't either find that or care about it, so having said NO to Softplan 2018, it just went ahead and loaded a Standard Version, that I had to customize after the fact.

Why did it find Softplan 2018 and NOT Softplan 2020?

I had this happen as well. Something to do with the new install had already renamed v2020 to the date thing that it does and so, technically, v2020 didn't exist anymore for upgrade purposes. I have no idea why it works that way but programming isn't my gig. 

#15 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 10:29 AM

I do a custom configuration as well. Not as custom as yours Keith, but I’ve had to re-do every configuration when I update. It’s a pain in the neck for my small changes, I can’t imagine doing yours.

This is the one area Softplan really needs to step up their game. I will wait another month or so before I upgrade to make sure the bugs are worked out.

Way to busy currently to have to deal with these issues.

#16 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 11:48 AM

same here.. every time I've upgraded I've done the back up, restored and copied all the settings into the correct folders, etc... and I still usually have to go and reset my custom keyboard shortcuts, and colors/layer settings.... it sucks. It's one reason I haven't upgraded yet. 

• Gary Wicklund likes this

#17 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 02 May 2021 - 09:39 AM

I don't know, I don't even know if it's possible to save a PROJECT CONFIGURATION as a SYSTEM CONFIGURATION but it may be worth a try. Although to be fair it really shouldn't come to that. It should already be done.

How about this for a quick fix until SP comes up with a better solution:

Start your new project in 2020 so you have your configuration the way you want, close the project and then open the project in 2022.
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#18 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 10:59 AM

I’m too busy to go through another upgrade right now, especially after reading some of the growing pains with 2022. 

There are always growing pains with an upgrade. It always does something that you don't immediately like ...

However, the BONUSES with the new upgrade (in my opinion) ALWAYS outweigh the drawbacks.

• Allen McDonnell and David Zawadzki like this
Keith

#19 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 01:40 PM

There are always growing pains with an upgrade. It always does something that you don't immediately like ...

However, the BONUSES with the new upgrade (in my opinion) ALWAYS outweigh the drawbacks.

I agree...except for the same things we complain about every single upgrade.  There should be no reason to have to go redo all your system options.  That should have been solved many upgrades ago in my opinion.  Up until this time, I've always upgraded as fast as possible so I could get all the new features.  I work by myself and since January 1st I've bid almost 300k worth of work and landed almost half of it...I don't have time to be screwing around with days of install and then setting things up then the inevitable patch after patch after patch.  2020 is working pretty flawless so I'm going to stick with it for now and keep reading the forum till I see the handful of issues I'm reading about are resolved.  They always get resolved....our programmers are awesome and just need the input on issues so they can quickly fix them....I just don't have the time this week to be one of the involuntary testers.

• Keith Almond, Richard Taylor and Jon Davis like this

#20 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:12 PM

Doesn't remember any of my dimension options either ...

Inner String placement, Dimension spacing and opening Dimension formats all need to be adjusted.

Don't mind me ... This is just my way of making a list of the items that I need to attend to when I get round to it. A list that may be useful to others.

To be fair, It did configure my toolbar as it was supposed to be, and I think it remembered my keyboard shortcuts. I just don't know why it doesn't remember every configuration customization.

• David Zawadzki likes this
Keith

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Configuration, colours, restore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users