#21 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 05 May 2021 - 10:47 AM

Pretty sure you CAN NOT take a PROJECT or DRAWING configuration into a SYSTEM configuration.

There are PROJECT Option configurations that I have very little grasp on so I refuse to use them, I leave as DEFAULT, I think a tutorial on these is very important (maybe already available not sure)

Mitigation needs to be flawless with ZERO risk between releases to keep users from shying away and getting frustrated.

I also lost all my custom walls somehow but after using ARCHIVE BACKUP/RESTORE a few times i recovered them.  I'm sure i've lost other settings but wont be aware until I actually start using 2022 daily...still finishing 2020 projects now.  i refuse to pull projects from 2020 into 2022 out of fear of the above issues.

Years ago i was part of a SAP business software mitigation into our company,  I assure you the Softplan growing pains are minimal by comparison. SAP implementation was a total disaster and took forever to get on track.

Would it work if you loaded a project from 2020 into 2022 and save that??

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#22 John Pepper

John Pepper

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 406 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 12:18 PM

The way to restore your 2020 Drawing Templates (Drawing Options)  into version 2022 is to use the System Options->Archive->Backup/Restore.   There was an issue in version 2020 where The Drawing Templates would not be archived if you select ALL even though the Drawing Templates were in the selected list.  In 2020  select the ONLY drawing templates and then select Backup.  In version 2022, System Options->Archive. Pick ONLY Drawing Templates.  Select Restore.  Restart SoftPlan immediately as instructed.  The options in your drawing templates list should be restored into 2022.

Attached File  drawingtemplates1.jpg   159.94KB   6 downloads

Attached File  drawingtemplates2.jpg   118.67KB   7 downloads

• John Jones, Sam Morgan and Keith Almond like this

#23 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:30 PM

John, apologies, ARE the drawing templates the Items that control these ALL these issues ... if so, you're my new hero?

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#24 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:50 PM

John,

Thank you ... that specific bit of information saved me quite a bit of time. Is that fixed for 2022?

The only thing it didn't fix. Is the colours ... it propagated all the STANDARD Softplan colour palette into the right places, but I don't use the Standard Colour palette. Is that something that can be fixed at some point too?

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#25 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 04:14 PM

Just curious ... What did happen to the STYLE option ....

Attached File  May 5, 2021_18h12m18s_001_.png   25KB   1 downloads

We used to have the choice of SILVER, BLUE, BLACK or AQUA

Is this now AQUA whether we like it or not?

Keith

#26 John Pepper

John Pepper

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 406 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 05:31 PM

The palette issues are known but a bit more complicated so I don't have a great work around for you other than reconfiguring them. The archive backup issue for drawing templates is resolved in 2022. The style option was removed because we use a user interface library from Microsoft. They removed it from their latest version and so unfortunately we lost the feature.
  • Keith Almond likes this

#27 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 06:28 PM

Thank you John.

Keith

#28 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 08 May 2021 - 12:52 PM

Attached File  Screenshot 2021-05-08 124826.jpg   265.25KB   6 downloads

John, apologies, ARE the drawing templates the Items that control these ALL these issues ... if so, you're my new hero?

Here is what I got from tech support and it appears to have worked:

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#29 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 01:43 PM

David, What John said above worked perfectly. I'd previously BACKED UP and RESTORED > ALL, but the drawing templates didn't work due to a BUG in Softplan 2020. Just doing a BACKUP and RESTORE > DRAWING TEMPLATES on their own appears to have put my system back to MY default settings. The only thing I had to configure was the custom palette, but I've got that done quite quickly.

Keith

#30 Gary Anderson

Gary Anderson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationBisamrck, ND

Posted 13 May 2021 - 03:31 PM

one thing i do save as and reload is my pen styles from my old version and do a restore onto the new version. it would be nice if i could do this with the standard colors... unless someone could tell me what file it may be? or if possible make a backup of the standard color file and restore on the new version.... just random thoughts..

Gary Anderson

SoftPlan user scene 1993

#31 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 03:56 PM

Well, A lot of settings merged over, but none of the keyboard shortcuts... that one always seems to be the thorn in my side. So I had to go in and reprogram all of my custom shortcuts. Other than that, everything seems to be ok so far. 

#32 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 13 May 2021 - 08:32 PM

Well, A lot of settings merged over, but none of the keyboard shortcuts... that one always seems to be the thorn in my side. So I had to go in and reprogram all of my custom shortcuts. Other than that, everything seems to be ok so far. 

That's interesting Jon as my shortcuts have always migrated. I can't remember a time they haven't!

#33 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 05:58 AM

Likewise ... All my keyboard shortcuts are in place too. Thankfully ... I think I customized every key.

Before you redo them all painstakingly, try ARCHIVE > BACKUP > CONFIGURATION (in 2020 obviously) and just save a specific backup, and then ARCHIVE > RESTORE (2022, again obviously) and just restore that file, and see if that helps at all.

• Jon Davis likes this
Keith

#34 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:10 AM

Wouldn't he want to choose "Keyboard Shortcuts" when he does the "Backup / Archive"

Attached Files

#35 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:11 AM

Likewise ... All my keyboard shortcuts are in place too. Thankfully ... I think I customized every key.

Before you redo them all painstakingly, try ARCHIVE > BACKUP > CONFIGURATION (in 2020 obviously) and just save a specific backup, and then ARCHIVE > RESTORE (2022, again obviously) and just restore that file, and see if that helps at all.

Tech support was adamant NOT to use the “ALL” check box but to check each item individually that you want to archive.

That is what got it to work for me.

Just a reminder...
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#36 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:53 AM

Wouldn't he want to choose "Keyboard Shortcuts" when he does the "Backup / Archive"

Probably ... Perhaps I should have read it fully ... didn't even realise there was a separate Keyboard Shortcut option. I've always used ALL ... although this is broken in 2020.

Keith

#37 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:56 AM

Tech support was adamant NOT to use the “ALL” check box but to check each item individually that you want to archive.

That is what got it to work for me.

Just a reminder...

Yes "ALL" is broken ... although - for me - ALL plus a separate "Configuration backup" got it to work.

Keith

#38 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 11:22 AM

I've done that in the past, with no luck. I'll try again for 2024. I've already got them all set up again for 2022. lol

#39 Kerry Calvert

Kerry Calvert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 May 2021 - 09:23 AM

Well I'm really frustrated with 2022!

Usually the upgrade goes a lot smoother, usually I just archive the current version and restore into the new version and voila, but for some reason SoftPlan seems to have decided to change how this works with 2022.

Because of this issue I am recommending that my customers hold off upgrading to 2022 until this problem is fixed.

How can I, in good conscience, recommend the upgrade when there are so many setup issues with this new version.

I guess I am stuck working on projects that are created in 2018 because of these upgrade issues.

SoftPlan needs to fix this immediately!

#40 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 02:45 PM

What are your issues Kerry.

Keith

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Configuration, colours, restore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users