5 replies to this topic

#1 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:26 PM

I'm offering videos, tailored to you, individuals.

Best way to help is for you to send me a plan your trying to draw, and

,maybe struggling a little to get it right.   I'll take your plan and narrate

it with a full screen page of Softplan, and work on your plan so you can 

get that push over to learning faster. Anyway, I have a little more time to help,

in between plans and building. There of course is a charge, 

I do up about 1 hour sections and email the video to you.

Any interest   otrhomes@gmail.com

#2 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:35 AM

I think what you are doing is admirable.  However, wouldn't you be better off drawing houses?  I turned down 8 houses the other week.  and many more prior.

#3 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 09:47 AM

Really it helps me learn more, it is easy, and kinda relaxing. I enjoy it. I'm not in the main stream of doing plans, as I've been a builder mainly. but working to get more plan work. Is a lot of competition in Florida.

I enjoy mixing things up. so I build and draw plans.

I make a couple bucks doing it, and makes me learn stuff about Softplan

I'll be getting busier soon, and probably won't have time, Really not many people want help, but the few that signup, only need X amount of direction and they are off and running.

I tried working for or with a guy that was an engineer, he sent me a softplan drawing he had started, and wanted me to finish it. He really gave me no direction. I got into the plan,

it needed a lot of help, things like he had sills on everything like the windows and doors and garage doors.  So i'm thinking that is a mistake, he didn't want sills, so I took them off, no biggie to put back on

with repeat edit.  He made a big deal of it. The guy decide to part with the relationship, and of course not pay for my time, but was a learning lesson.

I think it is hard to get positioned as a plan drawer, but I am working in that direction, since I'm about beat up from building and dealing with help.

I probably am a craftsman at heart.

But yea, i like doing the videos, guess I'm not trying to be admirable, just something I'm doing at this very moment.    I always get like this with each upgrade

• Steve and Carla Farnam and John Coyle like this

#4 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 13 May 2021 - 10:50 AM

Good for you Fred!

#5 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 12:21 PM

Good on ya Fred!!

Always a plus to have one with experience to ask Softplan questions to. As you mentioned

sometimes all it takes is a couple how to pointers for a Softplan user to be ' off to the races'! We all started somewhere

and with an open mind continue to learn a little every day.

#6 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 03:02 PM

Well i offer it some and as everyone knows, Softplan does the free fundamental Fridays, and you tube stuff.

Which is good free stuff to go to. I've looked at a couple and pickedup stuff. A lot of us started back around 2000

and had to do a lot of work around, and figure out the best way to use Softplan for us.  It's easy to have a wrong direction going.

Anyway, the reason i visit the forum, is to learn stuff, cause when someone ask a question, if I don't know it I figure it out or whatever.

not that I'm lurking

Nice to answering question real fast and whoever can keep working, sometimes.

To me the Forum has really evolved, not like it used to be.

Friendlier now. more helpful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users