• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Delane Barrus

Delane Barrus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 04:23 PM

There is a 18' tall study in our plan. We are wanting to create a loft area accessed by a narrow spiral staircase in part of the room. The open side would have railing. 

If I try to create an elevated area using floor joists, SoftPlan wreaks havoc on the entire plan - deleting or replacing my flooring throughout the house. 

The quick and dirty way seemed to be to create a deck inside this room and finish the underside off with a solid that I gave the appropriate texture. 

I did search the forum for answers on this. The link below is the only thing I could find. Do I need to create new half-walls for this room  - a support beam and fake the floor? Is this the best way to accomplish this?

http://softplan.com/...h-loft/?p=16485

Attached Files

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 May 2021 - 05:48 AM

Softplans floors need a very simple fix ... Allow users to select a level BEFORE putting the floor in.

In situations like that, I've drawn the floor outside the plan. Changed it's level, and then moved it into place. A lot depends on whether or not you use Softlist. I don't, so any quick and dirty design works fine for me.

• Delane Barrus likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 06:53 AM

I use a deck, exactly the way you did

#4 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 21 May 2021 - 08:41 AM

My understanding is when you choose to draw a floor system part, you do have the option to select a level for it. So, before drawing, just select the level and then draw what you need. Also, a lot depends on how you want to clean up your sections, etc. If you want to see the platform framing as most often it would be built, you will want to do offsets and walls below and above the loft, thus 2 floor levels. But for the quick and simple version the deck idea works. Or just a 3D solid can work.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 11:28 AM

My understanding is when you choose to draw a floor system part, you do have the option to select a level for it ...

How do you choose a level before adding the floor?

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#6 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 12:08 PM

How do you choose a level before adding the floor?

You should see a drop down on the status bar after selecting Floor System or a Floor Component to choose a Level.

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 12:38 PM

Are we talking 2022 or 2020 ... this has been posted in a 2020 forum.

Keith

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 01:22 PM

Damn ... Didn't even know that was there ... funny how you get used to doing things a certain way isn't it ...  I know the answer will upset me, but how long has that being there?

• Mark Petri and Mike Adams like this
Keith

#9 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 01:24 PM

Keith,  You made me look!  I checked both and it's there.

Attached Files

#10 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 03:19 PM

Yes, I know it's there NOW, but wasn't aware of it EARLIER ... Thanks for making me look ike an idiot - Although to be fair, I don't need much help.

Keith

#11 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 21 May 2021 - 09:44 PM

I am always amazed at what I miss that you guys show me with how you answer questions and solve problems others have on the forum. The forum is really a great tool for all of us.

• Keith Almond and Mike Adams like this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#12 ROBERT BROGAN

ROBERT BROGAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 10:59 AM

Did you try building a landing ? you are attaching stairs to it.....a landing is adjustable / size depth / elevation 

bob.

• Jim Johnson and Keith Almond like this

#13 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 09:33 PM

Yes, I know it's there NOW, but wasn't aware of it EARLIER ... Thanks for making me look ike an idiot - Although to be fair, I don't need much help.

While I can't speak for everyone, I think you would have a hard time finding someone in this forum that would agree with you looking like an idiot.  I learn a lot from reading your posts.

• Mike Adams likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users