Photo

How do I fix this wall with stacked windows?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nate Joseph

Nate Joseph

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 22 May 2021 - 08:31 PM

I'm a two month user with SoftPlan and I feel like I just wasted my weekend. I hope someone can help me figure this out.

I'm working with this house that has a 10' roof bearing height for the first level, but at the rear of the house there is a wall that's 15' tall with stacked windows. Because I don't know any better, I made the wall on the first floor 10' (as the rest of the house and then I went to the second floor and stacked another wall on top of the first floor wall that would go all the way to the 15' bearing for the high roof. By doing this I was hoping that my stacked windows would have all the walls they need to live in.

I'm not sure if I'm wrong or if SoftPlan is dumb, but now I have a portion of the second floor wall hanging through my upper windows. I thought that SP would of automatically cut out the areas out for the windows. What am I doing wrong. See attached screenshot.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2021-05-22 221318.jpg

#2 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 08:35 PM

I had to come up with a good way to show this as I do really high end renderings for my stock plans.  I draw the wall and windows on the upper floor as you did, then go edit the wall and windows and uncheck show in model on that level.  Then go edit the main level wall to be the overall height from floor up to the second floor plate and add all the window there and edit all the offsets.  I'm sure there may be other ways to do it, but this works well for me.

#3 Nate Joseph

Nate Joseph

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 22 May 2021 - 09:53 PM

Thanks for your suggestion Sam. Since I'm new to SP I cringe at having to run into workarounds so early in the game. If I do as you suggested I still might have an issue because if I make the lower wall continuous to the high roof, I'll still have a triangular area on both sides of that wall that I need to show.

The only other way I can think of is to split the wall on the second level in in three pieces. One part on the left side of the windows, one on the right side and the middle wall  with enough offset to clear the top of the windows.

#4 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 22 May 2021 - 11:38 PM

Have you tried using a hidden wall?
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 May 2021 - 08:00 AM

It's not really a workaround, more of just an odd situation.

Softplan's key mantra is "Draw it like you would build it". That particular wall wouldn't be built as two levels so drawing it as two levels isn't really correct, and that's where Softplan is getting confused.

As you suggest, you could draw it as three wall sections, or you could add a CROSS OPENING on the upper wall to cut out round the lower window and label it as windows from below on the upper floor. Or you could just make the lower wall 15' high for that section with triangular walls at high level that are hidden on plan (as David suggests).

How you construct it depends in part on how accurate you need Softlist to report. if you don't use Softlist, any quick and dirty fix will work.

• Jim Johnson, Jeremy Plum and David Zawadzki like this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#6 Nate Joseph

Nate Joseph

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 23 May 2021 - 02:03 PM

Thanks for the guidance guys. I tried the Cross Opening and that worked like a charm. I also tried making the window wall "full height" with the hidden walls above to fill in the triangles and it was more time consuming for a newbie like me but I believe its more accurate for softlist. Thanks all.

• Keith Almond likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users