• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Galen Doscher

Galen Doscher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 03:07 PM

Is there a way to add new materials to the list that is available when defining walls, beams and other elements?  

I need more than one material option to use for several situations
Solid wood only has one option - just "solid wood beam"

Composite materials only have one -  "PVC lumber"

ETC.

I often have more wood types than just one in my post and beam structures, but no way to differentiate them.

And you can use 3 or 4 different composites in one project, but they will all associate with just that one material.

How can I expand that material list?

Thanks,

Galen

#2 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 06 June 2021 - 05:10 PM

Are you needing more options so that it reports different wood types in your SoftList report?

#3 Galen Doscher

Galen Doscher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 06:35 PM

No, my main purpose is to have the visual textures show accurately and get correct dimensions to materials.  Not all beams are the same material.  There is only one option for a solid wood beam.  I have been working around by using PT lumber for a beam that needs to be a different look than another beam, but then I can't use PT lumber for a PT railroad tie...etc.  Not to mention what you noted, the beams are then not accurately labeled in softlist.  Same problem for composite trim... the only option is PVC lumber, but I have 3 different kinds of composite trim on some jobs between azek, fypon and certainteed, and they all need to look different and report properly.  Finally, I was thinking that I could work around the LVL material dimension problem if I create a new LVL material.  

#4 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 08 June 2021 - 12:44 PM

If you aren't doing any log home design, why not use the materials "Log A, Log B, or Log C" in your Beam Definition? This will give you 3 more materials that can each have a different texture applied. If you are using SoftList just change the formula to look for the  proper material that is defined in your Beam Definition.

An example might be to define and draw a  "Pine beam" that uses "Log A" for the material in the Beam Definition. You would create a Softlist "Pine Beam" definition that would look for the material "Log A" in it's formula..

• Stephan Page likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users