Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:52 PM

Custom Window Tutorial:

Large Custom Arch Top Window.

Go to DRAW > DETAIL > ELEVATION OPENINGS - WINDOW ROUND TOP RENAISSANCE and draw standard arc window

2015.08.12_20h47m13s_002.png

EXPLODE .... ONCE

Right Click - EDIT - Check SASH checkbox

EXPLODE AGAIN.

Divide centre of frame to centre of frame into however many segments you want ... In this case 5 - mirror the sash and bead about centre of the jamb.

2015.08.12_20h58m59s_003.png

and then copy 4 times from construction point to construction point.

2015.08.12_21h00m56s_004.png

Extend all the lines and trim the arcs as necessary, until you have a finished window. Delete the construction points.

2015.08.12_21h09m17s_005.png

Now you must add glass.

Go to DRAW > SHAPE > POLYGON and set the linetype to medium dotted (I normally set the colour to red to so I can find it again).

With SNAP ON draw a polygon to each of corner of each bead.

2015.08.12_21h15m17s_006.png

Edge edit the top of each polygon, and add a deflection - say 2", then edit one of the "bead" arc's on top of window and copy (CTRL-C) the radius. Then edit each polygon edge and paste (CTRL-V) the radius into the ARC RADIUS box. You should now have a glazing polygon that exactly matches the bead.

IMPORTANT: Now right click inside each polygon and explode. If you don't explode the polygons, you won't get glazing.

2015.08.12_21h24m02s_007.png

Now go to FILE > SYSTEM LIBRARY > CONFIGURE LIBRARY > ELEVATION OPENINGS  ... Choose a suitable library - I always put custom windows in a "Custom| Library" Click ONE STEP and draw a box round your new window. Give it a name and click OK. You've now created your new window.

Without exiting the Configure library window, Change the Library Type to OPENINGS > Again, Choose a library, and give your window a name (I keep the same name as for the ELEVATION LIBRARY, as they are different libraries, you can duplicate your names - it makes finding it again easier).

Again, Click ONE STEP and name the window. Click CUSTOM OPENING Radio button, and select the library where you saved the elevation opening and the elevation opening itself.

2015.08.12_21h37m00s_008.png

Click OK.

You can now configure the opening. Click EDIT INDIVIDUAL COMPONENT. In this case on the Component tab, change SECTIONS to 5, on the ELEVATION TAB change SILL to NONE (this can always be changed on the drawing).

CLICK OK - OK - OK.

You've now created a plan view of the custom elevation that you drew.

If all went well, you should now be able to add this window into a drawing ... (Please don't let me screw up ...)

2015.08.12_21h45m31s_009.png

and VOILA  ...... a PERFECT CUSTOM ARCHED WINDOW.

2015.08.12_21h51m05s_011.png

Phew ... 

Obviously this was for a specific window, but EVERY window elevation that you can draw is created EXACTLY the same way. If you can follow this, you can create ANY window shape you like.

Now I have to admit, Softplan has some inherent faults when it comes to following complex windows, but the window design itself is valid ....

2015.08.12_22h12m21s_012.png

• Philip Frank, Yvon Gonthier, Heath Foster and 4 others like this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#2 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Locationmarin county - california

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:40 PM

as keith mentions,  there are some configurations of multiple windows

where it's better to create whole custom windows and add them

to the wall one by one and place them as need.

as you can see from keiths "cross" window above, it "CUTS"

the wall out where you want the wall to remain and it

draws the exterior trim "curved end to curved end"

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:52 AM

Some interesting information .... with some assistance from Softplan's Tech Support.

Thank You, You're the best.

A custom window that includes concave areas will NOT trim properly. The trim will not follow any concave area .... As you can see above ...

2015.08.13_12h46m55s_001.png

However, as long as the custom window doesn't have a concave area, it can be assembled with other windows that don't contain concave areas, EVEN IF THE ASSEMBLY CONTAINS CONCAVE AREAS, and the trim will follow the ASSEMBLY correctly.

• Larry Hartensteiner likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:15 AM

For those who don't know, complex window.door or window/window (or various combinations) can be assembled as a CUSTOM OPENING.

Bringing openings NEAR (4½" or closer) to each other will cause them to SNAP together - Side to Side or top and bottom - Unless you specifically check "EXCLUDE FROM UNIT OPENINGS" on the header tab.

Once you have them snapped together (and it's best to actually bring them right together), you can go to EDIT > UNIT OPENINGS, and click on the opening. This will allow you to NAME the ASSEMBLY, and will add it to your SYSTEM LIBRARY. That way it can be a PERMANENT addition to the library.

You can add SIDELIGHTS, TRANSOMS whatever, and build up some fairly complex ASSEMBLIES. If you need to edit GRILLES, SIZES or POSITIONS, they can all be adjusted from the EDIT menu within the SYSTEM LIBRARY.

• David Zawadzki and MELINDA ROBERTS like this
Keith

#5 Shawn Saltou

Shawn Saltou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:13 PM

Keith, THANK YOU for the tutorial. I'm trying to create a trapazoid window but with a horizontal edge at the top instead of a 'peak'. -sort of clipped trap I guess you would call it.  I drew all the lines with same offsets as the other windows (1/4"-1"-1 1/2") for the glazing and frame. I followed your steps but all I get in the 3D is the glazing. ---no frame. I can add exterior trim but no actual window frame. What did I miss? V2016. Thank you...

MIDWEST Drafting & Design

www.midwestdesign.biz

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:35 PM

Probably nothing actually missed.

I've seen it happen before. Usually one or more of the joins aren't connected correctly, so the programme can't follow the frame/sash/beads correctly and get confused.

Keith

#7 Timothy Dahlstrom

Timothy Dahlstrom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:00 PM

I followed this once and it worked perfectly.  Second time though it built the window but the window will not show up in my 3D model.  It inserts in the plan properly but no 3D.  Any Ideas?

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:20 PM

You've probably missed a step somewhere, but I've no idea which on it would be ... Sorry.

Keith

#9 Timothy Dahlstrom

Timothy Dahlstrom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:04 PM

I'll try again.  A couple of posts ago you talked about making complex openings as a custom opening.  Is there a tutorial on that?  what mode are you in when you snap the openings together?

#10 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:27 PM

Just standard drawing mode.

Just draw the openings on plan and edit their positions to suit. Note: It's sometimes (read that as nearly always) easier to right click and edit the opening on the model to get the heights right, and on plan to get the horizontal positions right. Just make sure you're editing the right windows.

Keith

#11 Todd Williard

Todd Williard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:01 AM

How would I create an arched top double hung window such as an Andersen Woodwright Unequal Leg Arch Double-Hung Window? I have tried adding deflection but then the sashes change to a casement window.

V11-V2024

#12 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:11 AM

Basically you can't!

You can however, create a lookalike window but it's effectively going to be a divided fixed casement with the correct geometry.

Using the same principle as above, you can get a window that looks to be correct in elevation and 3D, but you cannot get the actual double hung effect with one sash in front of the other.

You can also use two windows above each other with the correct geometry and move them together, or add a transom to a single window and then edit the transom in the drawing library to get a unequal arched top window. However, at some point you will have to create the unequal arch top as a custom window with the geometry you want, so that you can add it to your library to be able to edit it anyway.

This is probably the best that you'll get - Created as a custom window as per the tutorial:

2018.04.18_12h37m58s_002_.png 2018.04.18_12h41m08s_003_.png

Keith

#13 Todd Williard

Todd Williard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:26 AM

I was able to draw an elevation of the window that I need. I then made a new opening and used the new elevation I drew. It shows correctly on the model, however, I cannot get grilles to show up?

V11-V2024

#14 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:43 AM

You have to draw the grille pattern within the elevation, Softplan doesn't understand how it will be grilled, so if you need to have variants with and without grilles, then you have to create 2 (or more) separate custom windows, depending on the grille variations.

Keith

#15 Todd Williard

Todd Williard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:00 AM

Thanks Keith

V11-V2024

#16 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:16 AM

Anytime!

Keith

#17 D M

D M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Location..

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:39 PM

Thanks Keith, .. worked first time .. a well explained tutorial

Doug

.. invariably, someone will have a simpler solution.

#18 Shaun Davis

Shaun Davis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 09:17 AM

im never able to get glazing into my doors/windows. No idea what im doing wrong or which step would make that not work.  

#19 Henry Buckner

Henry Buckner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 10:05 AM

The dotted line in the first step is what creates the glazing. The easiest way I've found to do this is:

1) Draw the window elevation you want.

2) "Copy Block" the elevation a specific distance away

3) Erase all of the elevation except the innermost line of the window opening

4) Edit lines to be dashed lines (the largest one) 

5) "Block Move" the dashed the same specific distance back to where they came from.

6) Save as elevation opening

#20 Henry Buckner

Henry Buckner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 10:05 AM

dashed "lines"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: custom, window, tutorial

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users