line up exterior plywood and foundation

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_David Kauffman_*

Guest_David Kauffman_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2021 - 06:39 AM

Drawing with the demo version of 2022. Current Chief x13 user. Have used Chief since 1995.

How do you line up the the exterior wall sheathing, have it run past the rim board and past the sill plate, and set on the top of the concrete wall, outside surface of the wall sheathing matches outside of concrete.

an example of this dimensionally on a bump out (assuming 1/2" sheathing and 2x6 wall):

out to out of concrete = 16'-0"

out to out of sill plate = 15'-11"

out to out of rim board = 15'-11"

out to out of sheathing = 16'-0"

out to out of stud = 15'-11"

in to in of stud = 15'-0"

#2 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 03 August 2021 - 09:34 AM

Just set the foundation dimensions and the floor plan dimensions to your specs. Then everything will line up. The rim joist, sill plate, etc. will typically be set to automatically line up with the outside edge of bearing material in your wall definition or interior edge. The sheathing (most often) will cover the floor system as a non-bearing material. The foundation walls should be a separate drawing (unless you want to create a wall definition with all components in one - which I do not recommend, but some people do). So, then it comes down to a matter of stacking your walls/drawings in the model. Best method is to use the top reference point in the menu and place it in the same corner of the plans at the exact spot you want everything to stack from. SoftPlan policy is to place that reference point at the portion of the plan where the lowest stacking walls are (for instance - your foundation steps up a hill - put it at the lowest wall in that scenario).

Another common option is to use phantom (non-extracted) walls placed outside the floor plans and place the reference point on those and set the heights for offsets.

Certainly best to read up on options, ask lots of questions here on the forum, and try a variety of things out to see what suits you best. Two of the best assets of the SoftPlan system are this forum, and the flexibility to model and draw things more than one way (customization). There are some limitations that differ from other programs. Some needed work-arounds, but the customization of the look and presentation of drawings is better than many programs.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#3 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 03 August 2021 - 05:11 PM

Drawing with the demo version of 2022. Current Chief x13 user. Have used Chief since 1995.

How do you line up the the exterior wall sheathing, have it run past the rim board and past the sill plate, and set on the top of the concrete wall, outside surface of the wall sheathing matches outside of concrete.

an example of this dimensionally on a bump out (assuming 1/2" sheathing and 2x6 wall):

out to out of concrete = 16'-0"
out to out of sill plate = 15'-11"
out to out of rim board = 15'-11"
out to out of sheathing = 16'-0"

out to out of stud = 15'-11"
in to in of stud = 15'-0"

Curious how you isolate your sheathing from the concrete foundation?

I wouldn’t want my osb sitting on a concrete ledge sucking up the moisture from the concrete like a big sponge.

Here’s a short video of Norm setting sill plates:

https://youtu.be/dxA1_hHLL0k
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#4 Guest_Gary Wicklund_*

Guest_Gary Wicklund_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2021 - 07:56 PM

I find having the exterior sheathing set to bearing helps

I draw and dimension the same way, face of concrete and face of sheathing not stud, framers her prefer to have the wiggle room by keeping the plate back.

Sometimes a extension line will grab the stud instead of the sheathing, I just quickly zoom in to place the extension line.

Hope that helps

#5 Dennis Asher

Dennis Asher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWillow Springs, Missouri

Posted 04 August 2021 - 10:59 AM

You must have some fantastic foundation contractors in your area.  I was a framing contractor for 20+ years and I was ecstatic when I got a foundation that was square!  Having 8" concrete walls that were also straight would have been just a fantasy! lol

• Michael Landry, David Zawadzki and Stephan Page like this

#6 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 04 August 2021 - 12:03 PM

You must have some fantastic foundation contractors in your area.  I was a framing contractor for 20+ years and I was ecstatic when I got a foundation that was square!  Having 8" concrete walls that were also straight would have been just a fantasy! lol

Wow! All this time I have always happy if the foundation was on the right lot, and they were using the right set of plans!
  • Dennis Asher and Wendall Hilty like this
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#7 Guest_David Kauffman_*

Guest_David Kauffman_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2021 - 02:40 PM

Curious how you isolate your sheathing from the concrete foundation?

I wouldn’t want my osb sitting on a concrete ledge sucking up the moisture from the concrete like a big sponge.

Here’s a short video of Norm setting sill plates:

https://youtu.be/dxA1_hHLL0k

Pennsylvania has done it that way for years. Never had issues doing it that way. If it bothered you, you could use a termite shield as isolation. I've always hated hanging the plywood/osb over the concrete face because now when the home owners pile the mulch up to the siding unless you've sealed it some how you now have a 1/2" wood highway for bugs into the house.

I also looked on the internet sites and there are a lot of details that are drawn that way.

I poured concrete foundations for a living in my youth, Unless the house was large or very irregular shaped, if it was out more than 1/2" or 3/4" max your job was on the line. Now with satellite positioning it better be right on.

#8 John Jones

John Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 02:48 PM

To the original post

In the SoftPlan Wall Definition dialog:

If the outside of the wall sheathing lines up with outside of the ring joist - set the wall sheathing up as a bearing material.

If the inside of the wall sheathing lines up with outside of the ring joist - set the wall sheathing up as a non-bearing material.  

• Tim Stockton, Ormand Hunter, David Zawadzki and 1 other like this

#9 Ormand Hunter

Ormand Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 10:51 AM

To the original post

In the SoftPlan Wall Definition dialog:

If the outside of the wall sheathing lines up with outside of the ring joist - set the wall sheathing up as a bearing material.

If the inside of the wall sheathing lines up with outside of the ring joist - set the wall sheathing up as a non-bearing material.  

Hello John, hope you are well, Sir!

As to this man's question, you are exactly right, this issue is resolved and delineated within "Definitions" of the wall system. In that area, you can specify extensions inside, outside or both surfaces. You can also turn off the extensions or dimensions on the outside surface of the studs, and or plate. In this way, you shouldn't have the issue of extensions being from the edge of the plate, rather than the outside of the sheathing, in this mans issue.

As to the reality of that practice, in the Southeast Coastal areas, Wind Loads and Uplift are concerning factors. As such, engineering has to be done to accomplish their calculations and determinations. With that in mind, if the Ring Joist is flush with the outside of the exterior sheathing, then some type of flat Simpson Strong Tie strap would be required, at least down here. For that matter, in higher wind zones, that strapping is required on top of the exterior sheathing (OSB) anyway. I have always believed that spanning a floor joist system with the sheathing, without a joint, was a much better practice. Do most framers do that? NO! But, if the builder were going to build the house in that manner, and an engineer was involved, he would need to be informed as to that intention to calculate the correct loading and requirements.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users