• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 John Abernathy

John Abernathy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 04:40 PM

I need to draw in 3D, some exposed timbered lintel/pediment in a brick wall over window and door openings.  I could draw easy enough in elevation mode by simply drawing the symbol with lines. However, I'm trying to get as realistic 3D (textured mode likely) for a presentation to a Historic Preservation Committee. (The existing condition is a Tudor style with timbered angled wood pediment over windows and doors) 

How would you build this symbol, I know I could draw  in a shape, but I'm having a hard time making a symbol this way that works in 3d. 

I've made symbols like this by making a shape, then exporting to SketchUp, and importing back into Softplan, but the times I've done this before, for what ever reason, it seems like the created symbol slows down my 3d, way down.

Curious if any one has a better suggestion. Or easier suggestion. 

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 August 2021 - 08:23 PM

I'd simply use a cube.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 16 August 2021 - 08:44 PM

Why not use a trim piece at the opening and set the parameters through the opening trim options? Or create a pediment and use that in place of top trim?

• Keith Almond and Jon Davis like this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#4 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 06:48 AM

^^ That's what I do... 

The easiest way I've have found is to right click, edit, window/door trim (Exterior trim), set it to custom, and set the top trim to CAST, and then input your desired size. Then in 3D view you can right click & "surface edit" and change it to look like wood visually... 

You could use the trim wood setting, however, when you change the surface paint, it will change ALL of it.... so I don't use that in this case b/c most of the time I still want the wood trim to appear as painted wood trim around the sides of the doors and windows, etc... 

By doing it in that setting you should be able to make it look exactly how you want visually by editing the size and overhang parameters. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users