• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 John Muscella

John Muscella

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 02:55 PM

I was talking to a friend who is on the the Softplan + subscription plan. I never looked at the difference, just assumed I would get all of the symbols and textures. I paid for the 2022 upgrade, which costs more than the subscription. I chatted with someone at Softplan, Shannon, who was not overly helpful and basically said I had to purchase the subscription also to have access to more symbols, etc. I feel that people who have had Softplan for years and have upgraded for years are being penalized for being loyal.

#2 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 05:18 PM

Plus has been around for a long time....you could have switched at any time.  I looked at it when it first came out and the difference was 300 bucks....worth every penny

• David Zawadzki likes this

#3 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 03:27 AM

High speed internet was the key for me.  I resisted for years because the lack thereof.  Fixed that last year...went +, this year and don't regret it for a minute.

#4 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 02 September 2021 - 07:53 AM

Hi John, I don't see it as being penalized, I see it as more of a carrot/stick approach to guide folks to preferred distribution and operation of product.  Most large software companies use this model, ever hear of Adobe, At&t, Comcast/Spectrum.

Symbols are great however I need SP+ export to ResCheck for energy report needs....for me that cuts hours of entering house data.

At this point to maximize your buck, you should wait till V2024 arrives then jump to SP+  BEFORE purchasing regular V2024.

• David Zawadzki likes this

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#5 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 02 September 2021 - 07:58 AM

Don't forget that the subscription also comes with access to their cloud storage for backups and the upgraded online support. It is money well spent.

• Rick Kingsbury likes this

Five out of four people are not very good with fractions

www.cresco.ca

#6 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 02 September 2021 - 09:06 AM

Here are all the reasons I did + when I first found out about this option:

https://softplan.com/?page_id=699

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#7 John Muscella

John Muscella

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 08:30 PM

Thanks, I understand all of that and agree, I guess my point got a little lost. I was just on remote control and just kept upgrading without reading into it but was just a little upset when I finally had a minute to realize the difference and asked Softplan about it they didn't offer me the option of putting my purchase toward Plus or any other option for that matter. I guess at this point I'll have to wait for the next upgrade.

#8 Todd Wacome

Todd Wacome

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:41 PM

I think it's a very fair system.  I agree that it funds development of some extras that only those who want those things need to pay for, but then eventually everybody gets the benefit, and actually not penalizing those who choose not to pay.  It probably induces the program to move along faster than it could otherwise for both groups.

While I believe this I think it could be better...

It's really great that you can make symbols with Sketchup files and use the 3D warehouse.  Is there some way that symbols we've created as users could be shared among users in a similar repository?  Collectively we've probably made tens of thousands of symbols many dozens or hundreds of the same thing.

One idea I will suggest is a button one may click on while in the symbol library looking for a symbol that would let you suggest a symbol you needed.  What better time to give that data to SoftPlan for them to assess demand, and 100X more likely that you would do it than sending in a suggestion or trying to think of symbol suggestions if surveyed.

Maybe then a tally of suggested symbols, somewhere on the SoftPlan website, of suggested symbols that could be upvoted would leverage that, and maybe even a place in that tally where a user could share a symbol tallied.

I'm sure there are copyright issues or something with sharing user developed symbols made using an underlying DWG so that may be too much for SoftPlan, but I think the basic Idea of getting requests to SoftPlan through a point of need portal would pay dividends.  I think if something like this were a reality there would be hundreds of requests for an Aker shower unit for example.

Any thoughts?

• Steven Wohlgemuth likes this

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 September 2021 - 03:40 PM

I think you might be wise to actually ask what is involved in upgrading to plus at this stage ... Since you've been buying for a while they may be able to do something for you. Worst case scenario is wait for 2024, but they may offer something better.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#10 Danial Anderson

Danial Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 September 2021 - 08:27 PM

I like the SP + program 

i use use support a lot.

I use the cloud storage 

I am really glad that i switched to soft plan 10 years ago.

i have a question about symbols after reading  the above about

symbols and getting them from a 3D warehouse

how does one find the libraries and import into a SP drawing or a SP folder for future use?

#11 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 23 September 2021 - 08:49 PM

Danial-  go to the tutorial videos- 3D-Importing 3D symbols.  Should give you what you need.

• Michael Landry and Danial Anderson like this

#12 Larry Hartensteiner

Larry Hartensteiner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 09:26 PM

Is it true that once in SoftPlan+ you have to stay subscribed to view your designs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users