5 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:57 AM

In the past I have set a low slope roof 1/4''/12 for a second floor walk out balcony.  Put a horizontal cable rail around the perimeter, adjust the heights, edit the surface with stucco and be done. Using a roof was nice because it allowed to show a slope, had a gutter and fascia  etc.  I tried to do the same with 2022 and finally gave up because I couldn't get the rails to adjust to the correct hgth.  So I built a deck with a solid surface, adding banding for a gutter and fascia which is ok...more steps.

Is there a way to get the deck to show a slope? 

Has any 2022 users had better luck at using a roof for this purpose. 

Thanks,

Mike

#2 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:10 AM

Use a solid wedge?

#3 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 11:58 AM

Your are right Sam, solids are lifesaver sometimes.  It was easier and fewer steps with a roof.  If there is a easier way to get the perimeter rail to work on a roof..maybe another thin beam right under sheathing.

Thanks

#4 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 17 September 2021 - 09:11 AM

Or use a ramp. And, just adjust the size and orientation of the slope. Also, are you using railing or guardrail when trying with a roof? I think I've heard that makes a difference. But, I have not tried it myself. I did recently work on a remodel of a home that had a roof deck with railing and it took some adjustment, but I got the railings to show where the roof deck met the upper gable roof and terminated into the slope.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#5 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 01:09 PM

Thanks...Mark

I ended up doing a deck with a wedge.  Adjusting railings was interesting. For a "no post" application...the post disappears and in order to adjust the rail height you have to hover over the missing post.  Found that by mistake.

#6 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 20 September 2021 - 05:53 PM

The new railing edit dialog is a bit confusing. But, at least we are getting a bit more control.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users