#1 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 24 September 2021 - 01:37 PM

I did a quick search of the forums for this but I didn't see anything that answered this specifically, so I apologize in advance if this has been answered somewhere and I missed it. Is there a way to offset the location of a roof? In other words, instead of a roof starting at the default height for a level, can I offset it so that it starts lower or higher than that default? I am trying to replicate the porch/stoop thing in the picture attached, and my intention was to create the roof on the second level and fit the walls to the bottom of the roof. But when I create the roof on the second level, it starts at the top of the second level walls and I cannot figure out how to lower it. If I create the wall on the first level, then the second level walls will not fit to the roof, presumably because they are on separate levels. Has anyone had experience in dealing with a situation similar to this?

Attached Files

• Attached File  21.jpg   85.92KB   1 downloads

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 September 2021 - 03:04 PM

Have you tried "multiple floor roof", so that the roof on the second floor references the walls on the lower floor.

Generally my method is using hidden (and not extracted in 3D) walls set at my preferred height and the roof referenced to them rather than the actual structure, but I don't like doing itt if I can do it any other way.

• ROBERT BROGAN likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 27 September 2021 - 06:51 AM

I tried messing around with the Multiple Floor Roof, but either it will not do what I need it to do, or I don't know what I am doing with it, which is the more likely of the 2 ha ha. I'll mess around with it some more, but I was afraid that the solution was going to be something more along the lines of what you were saying Keith. Thanks!

#4 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 27 September 2021 - 05:15 PM

if multiple roof is giving you trouble, then you can just stick that roof on lower level walls.. while the lower level is active.. 

so even though most of the primary roof will be modeled on the upper floor plan.. that porch roof can be modeled on the lower floor plan..

since you won't have the upper roof for the back side of that roof to reference, you can define the back of the porch roof as a gable and stretch it back into the house until the valley and ridge are fully modeled...

it will look correct on the exterior, even if roof planes are projecting into the house..

it's quick and easy.. but as I said the roof planes look good on the exterior but will be running into the inside of the upper level so not so good for materials take-off or interior 3D..

so, clearly, the Multi-Floor roof tool, as mentioned above by Kieth, is the better method..  but this is pretty easy..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users