Photo

Thoughts from the Softplan booth at the Builder's Show.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Ribnik

Jeff Ribnik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationColumbus, georgia

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:25 AM

To all,

After extensive visits to the Softplan booth this week, and some great conversations with developers Ken Montag & John Jones, I would like to publicly share a few thoughts.

First of all, I was so impressed that so many of the version 2016 new features were directly a result of suggestions by Softplan users. Both Ken, John, & the Softplan

staff have been very attentive to our needs. They do recognize that each of us have different drawing needs, though, and decisions sometimes must be made on whether a

particular idea will have broad appeal to all users.

Both developers also are active behind the scenes, viewing the various on-line venues where Softplan is discussed by it's users. They are always concerned with our

comments, both pro and con, about the software that they have spent so many years creating and improving. They relish the free discussion, but do hope that any instances

of criticism be fair & constructive. I agree totally with this. It's the best way for us to get positive and productive results. 

The new features are being revealed, so I won't repeat them, but here's one item that may not be mentioned yet. The traditional Softplan manual will be available on-line,

but the new book that will come with version 2016 is a "how-to" tutorial in creating a model and drawings for a typical home. This I thought was an excellent idea.

Also, don't be surprised in the 2018 version includes a mode for us to show how the HVAC system works with our designs.

There's probably lots more I could say, but these are the main points i remember. After all, the event was in Vegas. If anyone else on this forum also attended, perhaps you

might like to share what you gleaned from the Softplan booth.

Thanks,

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150120_122246_resize.jpg

• Cory Ewing likes this

#2 Cory Ewing

Cory Ewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:04 AM

Also, don't be surprised in the 2018 version includes a mode for us to show how the HVAC system works with our designs.

It will be nice to see this.  I was hoping to get it in 2016.  I have to provide basic HVAC plans with my designs.  I currently use a custom drawing mode and some symbols I've created.  It's kind of clunky but it works for me.

Thanks for the rest of the info.  It's good to hear that the developers do listen to the users.  

• Jeff Ribnik likes this

#3 Jeff Ribnik

Jeff Ribnik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:38 AM

Cory, the HVAC idea was a direct suggestion to Softplan from one of the attendees. Ken immediately saw how useful that would be when we lay out trusses or create vertical chases.

When I mentioned to John that I could use a way to show a double break line on stairs (when one stair is directly over another) he immediately said "We're on it".

If everyone could just meet them in person, you'd be amazed at how attentive & concerned they are about us users.

#4 Warren Ducote

Warren Ducote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, Texas

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:17 AM

Did they give any hints as to when 2016 will be made available?

#5 Jeff Ribnik

Jeff Ribnik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:25 AM

A month or 2 is the impression I got, Warren.

They're probably making sure it's been thoroughly tweaked before the release.

#6 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:15 PM

Two years ago it was mid march...I suspect it will be the same this time

• Jeff Ribnik likes this

#7 Harry Staab

Harry Staab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:05 AM

I also had a great experience talking to the folks behind the scenes of SoftPlan. John even remembered me from visiting with him last year at the show. The new version is full of great features that will help our staff to save time, be more efficient, and produce better work. Can't wait to get our hands on 2016!

• Jeff Ribnik likes this

ahp-horizontal-houseplans-180.png?15058

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users