2 replies to this topic

#1 Austin Ace

Austin Ace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationFleming Island, Florida

Posted 10 November 2021 - 05:48 PM

Need to add a false dormer to a hipped 10/12 roof.  The dormer is 10/12 as well with a window.  When I pick a location, I get a huge dormer that goes past the ridge.  I do not want any side walls so I tried going with 0" and that did not work.  I tried not extracting in the model and that did not work. The dormer has to be 22' wide.  I emailed tech and they got a good result (video), but I am having no luck.

Attached Files

#2 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 10 November 2021 - 07:24 PM

When creating an automatic dormer SP tends to think the side walls need to sit on the main roof it is attaching to. But you can go into the drawing mode and find those walls and adjust the offsets and height of the walls.

If the dormer is going to be 22'-0" wide and the same pitch as the roof it sits on, the bearing face of the gable wall needs to be 11'-0" out from the main (hipped) roof ridge. I assume you have that set. Then look at your wall offsets. You can change the created side walls to or use hidden walls, with extraction unchecked so you don't see them in the model. Make sure you offset them so the top of the wall is at least 110" below the ridge of the main roof. If you have trouble figuring that out, use the dimension tool in 3D to select the main ridge and the top of the dormer wall (you may have to turn off the roofing and roof sheathing visibility for the dormer (by changing the roofing material for the dormer roof in it's edit menu you can separate it from the other roofs). Or you can cut a section and try to find heights that way.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#3 Tim Kenyon

Tim Kenyon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 08:35 AM

If you don't want any side walls wouldn't it be easier to do a false gable?

• Mark Petri and Isaiah Baker like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users