7 replies to this topic

#1 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 04:05 PM

I find a lot when i import other PDFs via shapes to a drawing page, which looks good, and then I take that PDF and put on a planset page, something blacks out a lot of the text and a couple other things, not always tho

#2 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 06:14 PM

There's something I think is a triangle or box that maybe wraps around the text coming from maybe auto desk, that blacks out the text. I've found it is called a triangle usually and if I change it's PDF layer and turn that layer off the black out goes away and the text is there, but is not the perfect world, this way

#3 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 08:45 PM

guess i 've learned i need to import as Image for this to work.  I was doing that because it doesn't set the scale but i did a work around.

The import with shapes just becomes to big to build i believe

#4 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 06:25 AM

This has been vey frustrating for me too.  There are lots of times I would like to import a document that is a pdf but can only import it as an image.  When I use a conversion software the pixel count becomes extreme and the quality is not acceptable.  I have not found a good solution for printed material which is sad since there are so many times this would be helpful.  The conversion software has worked great for pdf lines to dwg and keeping a scale.  Maybe someone out there has a solution.  

#5 John Jones

John Jones

• Administrators
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 08:48 AM

If the PDF file will only import as an image the PDF file was authored that way - there are no shapes to import.  SoftPlan can only import what is in the data type contained in the PDF file which is sometimes only raster data.

• Brent Hyndman likes this

#6 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 10:36 AM

There is software that will convert the raster data but the only ones I have found either do not do a very good job for quality for printed material or create 86 billion pixels and that takes a week or two to download.... slightly exaggerated - maybe.  

#7 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 05:48 PM

Here is an example:  The one is a jpeg of an image from APA  and the second is the conversion of the jpeg image to DXF.  A little better OCR and bingo!  Still looking...  

Attached Files

#8 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 07:56 PM

I really only needed to import these as an image for what I was doing with it, which was to drop into a planset.

My method ended up being , on the new drawing page i created, I draw a box on it and adjust the box to 144' wide by 96' tall, which becomes the size of arch D page.

Then with cursor snap on I import the pdf image and snap it to the 144'x96' which puts it to perfect scale.

Other things that I might need to change i bring in as PDF shapes, and i can adjust the drawing.

Otherwise if a drawing doesn't need adjusting the image is OK.            Now that the move forward and move back stuff works good, it's not so hard to doctor an imported PDF image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users