#1 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 September 2015 - 05:26 PM

Not sure how many people are aware (or not) of how powerful the CTRL key is, but thought that I'd post a TIP. Even if only one person thinks "Darn, I didn't know that" then it's worth it.

Typically the CTRL key is used to highlight multiple objects to perform a move or similar function. However it can be used to make multiple edits quickly.

Say for instance that you have a existing plan and you don't want to show sizes for any openings. If you CTRL-CLICK away from all objects, and marquee select everything, then RIGHT CLICK, you get a list of all the highlighted items. Pretty standard so far .... Now go to OPENINGS on the list, and click REMOVE SELECTION. Now everything except OPENINGS is selected. Now if you CTRL-CLICK away from all objects, and marquee select everything again, it will actually reverse the selection, so that only OPENINGS are selected. You can then RIGHT CLICK, go to EDIT & REPEAT and uncheck display size, and ALL the openings will change in one go.

You can also use the same methodology to remove GRILLES and EXTERIOR TRIM etc., cleanup extension lines and SET LAYERS, CHANGE COLOURS, STYLES and THICKNESSES of SHAPES etc. and pretty much any function that you need to perform on multiple objects. Can be much quicker than REPEAT EDIT.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#2 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 05:48 PM

That's interesting. But doesn't right clicking on a window and click on "Add Type Selection" to select all windows or click on "Add Group Selection" to select all openings less effort?

• Keith Almond likes this

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:31 AM

Don't know .... I've never used ... or seen ... "Add type selection" or "Add group selection" (or if I have seen them, haven't done so consciously, maybe they've been ignored because I don't know what they do!). so maybe in starting a thread, I've learn't something too.

Will check it out - Thanks.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#4 Jim Crook

Jim Crook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationGravenhurst, Ontario, Canada

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:28 AM

Whoa, I have never used those items either and they look pretty powerful.

What is the difference between "Add type selection" and "Add group selection".

When I used an exterior wall to test this out on both commands selected all the exterior walls.

#5 Mike Downing

Mike Downing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationPortola, Ca

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:55 AM

This is a great tool for editing. The easiest way to explain it is by using editing a specific size window as an example. If you want to edit a particular type of window, same size etc., use Type Selection and only those specific windows will be highlighted for editing. If you want to edit all openings, use Group Selection. The same criteria can be used for walls etc. It's a much quicker and easier way to find specific items you may be looking for in a complex plan. I really like this feature and use it often
  • Yvon Gonthier likes this

Mike Downing

#6 Keith Owens

Keith Owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:12 PM

I use these features often as well - just to clarify a little, "Type" selection for a specific window will select all of that window type (like double-hung or casements), but won't separate by size.

#7 Anthony Wielemaker

Anthony Wielemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationGreely, Ontario

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:22 AM

Great tips guys I'll have to try to remember to use them when the time arises.

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:18 AM

Okay, having tested TYPE SELECTION and GROUP SELECTION, they seem quite powerful. I still believe that the CTRL and INVERT SELECTION as described can have a use.

Keith

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:00 PM

I've been using GROUP SELECTION for a while now, and would just like to say THANK YOU for pointing that out to me. Don't know how I missed it, but now I know it's there I use it regularly.

Keith

#10 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:11 PM

Your Welcome!  And thank you!  I learn a lot from reading your posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users