BLACK BACKGROUND to relieve eye strain??

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RAY BRADSHAW_*

Guest_RAY BRADSHAW_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:46 PM

I use a black background in windows (high contrast) to save eye strain on my eyes... I seem to have problems viewing the dialogue boxes inside of 'Systems Options : Layers", also the same for editing walls, editing colors/assigning colors, "Assign Icons - Cabinets " everything disappears, "Assign Icons - Electricals " - also some things disappear,"Assign Icons - Elevation Openings "also some things disappear.... and on and on it goes....Can someone help me?? I really need to get some work done with the black backgroung - it saves my eyes!!!!

Thanks for reading!

Have a blessed evening!

Ray

#2 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:38 AM

Have you tried to put a light grey (or off white) background as it might not be as bright? Also, have you adjusted the brightness of your screen?

#3 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:25 PM

There are lots of studies on eye strain for typical office workers, where it's generally accepted that when viewing TEXT, our eyes prefer black text on white background... but haven't necessarily seen anything specific for CAD...

But everything I have read on the subject, seems to indicate to me that it's less about the "color" of the background, than it is about "matching the brightness" of the monitor with the brightness level of the room...

The 20-20-20 rule is the best advice, IMHO...

LINK to WIRED magazine article on eye strain using computer: http://www.wired.com...flux-eyestrain/

#4 AJ Spino

AJ Spino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:28 PM

I too use white on black to help with eye strain...also use a monitor with an anti-glare screen.  Is this what you're after (I haven't experienced issues with lines or texts disappearing) ?  In Layer Setup change the Fill Color to white and Uncheck Use Item(s) Color.  The only thing that won't change to white is the Custom Opening Text (no option to change that color according to SP support)  For Elevations, Cross Sections, etc. you have to Uncheck Fill Color for each element.

Attached Thumbnails

• Black Screen-white elements.JPG
  • Elv. - Rear.JPG

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:11 PM

I think that Ray uses one of the windows HIGH CONTRAST colour schemes and it has a black background to EVERYTHING - DIALOGUE BOXES TOO. Softplan dialogue boxes are probably not designed to work with this colour scheme.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#6 Guest_RAY BRADSHAW_*

Guest_RAY BRADSHAW_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2015 - 03:40 PM

First, I want to thank all of you for your comments. And yes I do the black background for everything in windows, so why not SoftPlan 2014. I have already attempted the 'gray' and not liking it at all. So for now I hope that Tech Support can help me.

Thanks again and have a blessed afternoon!

Ray

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users