• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Sloop

Scott Sloop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 11:15 AM

Is there a tutorial or explanation on the process for creating a custom cabinet face style?  The standard softplan styles leave much to be desired especially when designing modern/contemporary cabinets.  I'd like to create some custom door profiles (similar to the way you can do with doors).   Is this possible?

• Wesley Penner and Allen McDonnell like this

#2 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 03 April 2023 - 02:24 PM

Very much agree.  Hopefully we hear some feedback.

#3 Ron Sirolli

Ron Sirolli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 10:30 AM

i have a quastion when you do elevation is there a way to set up to add diminision in the evevation so went you get to the site the installer has

an idea how to do the install

thanks Ron

#4 Tarah King

Tarah King

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationRiverside, Mo

Posted 03 October 2024 - 10:07 AM

Have there been any updates since this forum originally started on cabinet face adjustments? Looking for more visibility on this topic, As has been stated the door styles leave us wanting. Thank you! - Tarah King

#5 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 October 2024 - 12:40 PM

I think SoftPlan could use some general improvements and customization when it comes to custom cabinet faces and extended cabinet styles for more modern looks. The overall process of making custom cabinet faces hasn't changed since the thread start date however these are some key areas I think could use improvement:

1. Editable Cabinet Handle Positions - SoftPlan's way of determining cabinet handle position is dependent on the cabinet handle symbol assigned in the cabinet face properties. What would be very helpful is if SoftPlan allowed users to offset the cabinet handle when editing a cabinet since the only way to do this is creating a duplicate cabinet face and editing a new handle position. This will also allow a user to make a modern style cabinet face more easily where a flat handle is mounted to the top edge of the door (Ikea Style Cabinets). More options such as rotation could be helpful, but the idea is that the cabinet handle can be individually edited for each cabinet in the Edit menu as an override option to prevent the need of a new face if the user ends up using a style that is already in the library.

2. Cabinet Door Modeling Options/Dynamic Faces - SoftPlan heavily utilizes the ability to import symbols from Sketchup. The way Cabinet Faces are modeled is with an elevation view but also linked to a 3D Cabinet Door model (dwg) to get the 3D properties of the face. What would be very helpful is if SoftPlan allowed users to easily adjust the rail thicknesses of cabinets such as Shaker Faces in the Edit Menu. This will at least give the user more flexibility and customization outside of needing to remodel or duplicate a door and assign a new rail thickness when the face style is virtually the same. There is also no way to control the depth of the cabinet rail inset; having an option to do so will also give users more customization whether that's when editing a cabinet face or when creating a new face.

3. More Updated Cabinet Faces - SoftPlan has made some general improvements to cabinet face styles by offering a single panel shaker in the 2020/2022 update. What I think is missing are other styles that are seen such as raised grille cabinet faces, flat panel with integrated groove handles on the top edge, etc. SoftPlan takes a very good approach by offering manufacturer cabinet styles so I think they can extend to this by offering more manufacturer face styles. The Ikea Catalog has a bunch of face styles I wish were a part of SoftPlan without needing to custom model them and import as a new face with an accurate 3D model.

SoftPlan cabinetry is one of the most user friendly and advanced tool I've seen in a CAD package however these are some of the areas that I think could use some general updates/improvements to increase the already successful tools we currently have. Whether or not some of these changes will be addressed in the next major update is still up for question but your SoftPlan suggestions help a lot when letting developers know that users want specific features requested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users