#1 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 02:13 PM

2022+   >   2024+ couple days ago

I am behind the curve on plan sets.  I knew this day would come and during a recent conversation with TS, I mentioned I still used Multi Pages and had no trouble with them.  TS kinda said Multi Pages days were numbered.  My cover sheet is the problem.  It is laid out how I like, with the "boiler plate" that I like to include.  I just spent the last hour scanning videos and couldn't find anything that indicated my old CS could be duplicated.

Is it possible to recreate the attached CS into a Plan Set cover sheet?  If so..could anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial that could help. 

Many thanks

Mike 

Attached Files

#2 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 02:25 PM

If multi drawings end up getting phased out, that will be the last upgrade I do in softplan.  

• Robert Hiebert likes this

#3 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 02:45 PM

I setup my cover sheet with notes and such and space for schedules such area, drawing schedule and so on.  Page number, dates, project name, address etc that auto populate are on the title block.  I save my cover page to a SP drawing that I have other stuff I import a lot such as CAD details.  I open the cover page from this drawing file and place it on the title block that is now part of the plan set.  I can add any photos, notes,  or whatever to the cover page on the plan set at this point.  Sometimes I save the title block to the project so I can edit the title block as needed and not mess it up for other projects.  I hope this makes sense to you.  It has worked well for me.  

I am attaching a sample (I have changed my title block since this) of the cover page moved onto the title block.  Most everything on the right boarder is auto populated.  The building data and drawing schedule are from the project and will auto update.  The photo and info I copied to the cover page on the plan set.  Hope this all helps.... -

Attached Files

#4 Bill Wimberley

Bill Wimberley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationSan Angelo, TX

Posted 02 April 2024 - 05:26 PM

Plan sets are the best thing ever. I hated multi-drawings from the first time I used them and when Plan Sets came out I never looked back.

One of the best features is Plan Set Templates. Create a plan set and get everything set up just the way you like it. Page names, title blocks, which drawings go on each page, the correct modes for the drawings, etc, etc. etc. Then save the plan set as a template. Anytime you want to use the same setup for a different project just import the template into your project and your entire plan set is set up for you. You can save as many different Plan Set Templates as you like for various configurations.

You can have multiple Plan Sets in each project. I have different ones for different phases of the project. As the project progresses more pages are added such as HVAC, Plumbing, Foundation, etc. As I progress to the next phase I just open up the associated Plan Set and everything is already set up.

• Thomas Davis, Martin Wrobel, Rick Kingsbury and 9 others like this

#5 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 02 April 2024 - 09:14 PM

Plan set templates are the best thing since sliced bread!

Done right and they should cut your work load in half. Focus on getting your model right and let the computer program do the tedious work of assembling the drawings for you.

Using plan sets along with the nesting feature is a dream come true!

SoftPlan plan set templates tutorial:

https://youtu.be/Yaz...16IIIskXJCjzYus
  • Thomas Davis, Martin Wrobel, Rick Kingsbury and 3 others like this

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 11 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#6 Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationOrange Park, Florida

Posted 03 April 2024 - 08:58 AM

If multi drawings end up getting phased out, that will be the last upgrade I do in softplan.  

Sam, your Cornflakes are soggy!

• Warren Ducote and David Zawadzki like this

#7 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:56 AM

I didn't say plan sets were bad, just that I haven't found a tutorial that covers a transition from Multi Pages to Plan Sets.  Maybe there should be one and it may convert those that have gotten comfortable with Multi Pages.  The last version I bought before converting to + was 2018. I have the 2018 book and there is  a couple pages in the back.  I also have the V.13 book and nothing in that one.

So somewhere between V13 and 2018 it was introduced.  I guess.

Thanks for the feedback.

#8 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 10:11 AM

As I typed the above comment, the light came on, so when I finished I googled "Softplan Tutorial Multi Pages to Plan Sets" and some came up from 2015 and 2016.  Got to something in there I can use to get on track.

Mike

#9 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 10:14 AM

....the first one I opened was from Feb 2016 from Randy Cohn btw

#10 Warren Ducote

Warren Ducote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, Texas

Posted 03 April 2024 - 03:16 PM

Softplan TS dragged me from multi-drawings to Plan Sets kicking and Screaming. I fought a good fight for a good while. But I finally surrendered. Did I mention that I absolutely LOVE Plan Sets. 

• Todd Williard, Rick Kingsbury, Keith Almond and 5 others like this

#11 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 06:59 PM

Plan sets are awesome!
Best thing Soft Plan has created in my opinion. I switched years ago and never looked back. Such a time saver!
I have a lot of different plan sets depending on the builder and it's so easy to assign the template and know all is correct.
Mike Adams-
Give me a call and I'll give you a few pointers to start.
229-224-0410
  • Rick Kingsbury, Wesley Penner and David Zawadzki like this

#12 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 April 2024 - 03:47 AM

Yesterday Warren I read your post from 2/25/2016 expressing the same comments as you did above.  

I'm in.  The comments are overwhelming positive and I just need to get up to speed.  The terminology and how it applies is what I need to wrap my head around.

I am going to tinker a few more days with Plansets,  then Jason you can expect a call from me next week....thanks.

Thanks to all for the comments

Mike

#13 GENE GILES

GENE GILES

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 01:44 PM

Plan sets are great what we have done is created plans set templates so the general notes and details are organized the exact same way. It works great. 

We have 

Architectural Template

Structural Template

Marketing 

We are working on a presentation template for the early part of the process.

I was working on an older multi drawing project and really missed the planset way of doing things. Let me know if I can share anything I would be happy to.

• Rick Kingsbury, John Jones and David Zawadzki like this
Gene

#14 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,134 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 April 2024 - 06:08 PM

In essence, plan sets and multi drawings do exactly the same thing, they just do it better in Plan sets.

• Rick Kingsbury and Gary Wicklund like this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#15 Don Gibbons

Don Gibbons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 08:32 AM

Sam, what is it that Multi Drawings do that Plan Sets cannot do?

#16 John Jones

John Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 July 2024 - 09:28 AM

New Plan Set Template video posted to SoftPlan's YouTube Chanel: https://youtu.be/R8S...Of5o6RDPUxZGe4J

• Rick Kingsbury and David Zawadzki like this

#17 Roman Kolesnikov

Roman Kolesnikov

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2024 - 05:02 PM

Does anyone know if you can change the default folder location for plan set templates? 

I checked options>setup options>folder locations but didn't see if an option for PSTs. 

Reason for doing this: we're trying to standardize templates, details, etc. across the studio. 

#18 Roman Kolesnikov

Roman Kolesnikov

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2024 - 07:04 PM

Does anyone know if you can change the default folder location for plan set templates? 

I checked options>setup options>folder locations but didn't see if an option for PSTs. 

Reason for doing this: we're trying to standardize templates, details, etc. across the studio. 

Well, I figured out the easiest way to do this using the "symbolic link" tool in windows command prompt. 

For those wondering how to make this work with dropbox or whichever cloud sync utility:

I'll use the Plan Set Templates (PST) folder and dropbox for this example. 

1. Copy your PST folder to your dropbox within file explorer

2. Scary part: delete the PST folder in C:\softplan 

3. Open CMD (run as admin) and type this:

mklink /d "c:\softplan\plan set templates"

4. copy the full file path of the PST folder in dropbox

5. add a single space after what you typed in step 3 and paste the file path 

6. hit enter, you should receive a message "symbolic link created for ...." 

It should look something like this: 

mklink /d "C:\SoftPlan\Plan Set Templates" "C:\Users\username\Your Dropbox\STUDIO - STANDARDS\SOFTPLAN LIBRARY\Plan Set Templates"

Note: you MUST use quotation marks around the file paths 

Check your c:\softplan, there's now a PST folder with a little "shortcut" symbol on it. 

Open a project in softplan and check to make sure it worked. 

I did this and it was absolutely seamless, just make sure to have your sync software set to autosync for that folder so everyone on your team stays updated on the latest files. 

Also, there's an easy way to undo this if needed using the "rd" tool in CMD: rd "file path you used"

• Wesley Penner likes this

#19 Robert Hiebert

Robert Hiebert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 October 2024 - 11:09 AM

In essence, plan sets and multi drawings do exactly the same thing, they just do it better in Plan sets.

I have only been using softplan for the last 3 years so I've used plan sets from the out set and love it. But I do utilize the multidrawings feature for my actual drawing process. I like to have quick access to all my drawings without having to keep clicking on tabs of pages. I find that softplan runs smoother this way as well. So I'm not really using multi drawing for creating the final product and still use plan sets for that. But I'm still generating drawings instead of using the annotated drawing feature which is maybe a bit old school? Mainly because of how much more I can customize my drawings vs the model version being printed out with using annotated drawings. I tried to upload a screen shot of what I mean but I couldn't in this forum. 

#20 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 21 October 2024 - 11:21 AM

There are so many ways to do things within SoftPlan. 

Robert- when you go to upload an image or file it will load it to the folder, but then you have to click the box to add it to the post.

Attached Files

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users